DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

On 12/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, RIPPA said:

The teams that can be required (assuming none of them end up with a new coach) are:

• Pittsburgh
  • Denver
  • Detroit
  • Arizona

Because the Jags didn’t fire Doug Marrone they are on this list too

Looks like I was right. (not that the Pats won't be rightfully punished for "failure to control", I have no problem with that). But the folks who think that Belichick is the cheatingest cheat that ever cheated are going to have to live with the disappointment of once again making a mountain out of a molehill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/01/nfl-probe-has-not-implicated-bill-belichick-football-staff-patriots-sideline-video-bengals/

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Legendary Bengals coach Sam Wyche has passed away at 79. This is still the greatest moment in football history:

As a native of Ohio, let me tell you I'd live in Cleveland 10 times before I lived in Cincinnati.  Cincinnati is somehow almost Kentucky and Indiana...and those are two places that are worse than Cleveland in almost every single way.  For my money Indiana might be the worst state in the country, everything about it sucks.  And Kentucky created bourbon in the 18th century, and hasn't done anything else of note since.  

• Haha 3

I guess it would go here

Maybe I am being an old fart but the thought that guys like Leroy Butler, Edgerrin James, Bryant Young, or Torry Holt as a Hall of Famer really water downs the product.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

In what is becoming the new norm - the Browns have announced that they will hire a coach first and then allow them to have a say in who they hire as a GM.

This is what Washington is doing with Ron Rivera too.

I wanna say the Raiders started this trend with Gruden being hired before hiring Mayock but I am also probably forgetting folks

• Haha 1

The Bills sort of did it with Sean Mcdermot and Brandon Bean, as they let the idiot Doug Whaley stay through the draft(though I think Sean picked the players), the hired the GM afterward. I'm not if it was a explicit as these situations.

What's Bob Stoops up to these days? It wouldn't be the first time Jerry hired an obsolete mule (of a former Sooners coach) on a whim. 

As far as rumored candidates go, Lincoln Riley seems like he'd be little more than an overhyped lateral move as a replacement for Kellen Moore. Urban Meyer is used to dealing with sociopaths so maybe he's the right guy to motivate this flakey bunch.  I'm not convinced Sean Payton is as interested in the Cowboys job as he's been made out to be. Maybe he really likes coaching the Saints. Besides trading multiple 1st rounders for a head coach is a bad idea. 

Garrett was a total non-entity as coach. If he ever made a key halftime or in-game adjustment, I sure as hell missed it. He should get the number 8 branded on each of his ass cheeks to symbolize his absolute mediocrity as a head coach. I hear he's an awfully nice guy though. 

Apparently they've already set up an interview with "The Michelin Man" Mike McCarthy. He's a boring enough candidate with a Super Bowl in his back pocket.  I guess there are a lot worse coaches Jerry could hire. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So even though Jason Garrett is still technically the HC - the Cowboys are interviewing people

They reportedly interviewed Marvin Lewis today

I know we all like to laugh at Marvin Lewis, but we forget that historically the Bengals are much more of laughing stock than the Browns, and they were pretty consistent under Marvin Lewis.  As far as degrees of dificulty go in the NFL, winning with the Bengals might not be Mount Everest, but it's in the Himalayas.  

• Like 4

On 1/4/2020 at 4:40 PM, supremebve said:

I know we all like to laugh at Marvin Lewis, but we forget that historically the Bengals are much more of laughing stock than the Browns, and they were pretty consistent under Marvin Lewis.  As far as degrees of dificulty go in the NFL, winning with the Bengals might not be Mount Everest, but it's in the Himalayas.  

Remind me again what the number of Browns Super Bowl appearances is? The only reason they exist is so us Bengals fans have someone to look down on. Since the Browns came back into the league the Bengals have 5 playoff appearances, I believe the Browns have but one.

• Like 1

BTW - per reports - apparently in all interviews Marvin Lewis is letting it be known that he will only accept a position if he is allowed to bring in Hue Jackson as his OC

• Haha 3

Also - reports are saying that the Cowboys are only going to look at former HCs with extensive experience with "proven success"

So basically they want to hire Mike McCarthy with Marvin Lewis as their backup

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

Remind me again what the number of Browns Super Bowl appearances is? The only reason they exist is so us Bengals fans have someone to look down on. Since the Browns came back into the league the Bengals have 5 playoff appearances, I believe the Browns have but one.

Cleveland Browns 8 total championships

Cincinnati Bengals 0 total championships

The Browns have glory days, The Bengals don't.

• Like 1