DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

• RIPPA pinned this topic

There are reports all over the place regarding who Washington is going to hire and whether or not Bruce Allen is going to get fired

The strongest reports - AT THE MOMENT - are Marvin Lewis will be the head coach and Allen will remain in some capacity

I am giddy

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There are reports all over the place regarding who Washington is going to hire and whether or not Bruce Allen is going to get fired

The strongest reports - AT THE MOMENT - are Marvin Lewis will be the head coach and Allen will remain in some capacity

I am giddy

Local CBS affiliate is reporting that Allen is going to be out by Monday.

Marvin Lewis is probably a good bet for the coach, though. I mean, what self-respecting, up-and-coming young coaching prospect is going to go work for Dan Snyder?

The follow up local reporting is that while Bruce Allen will no longer be running the football side, he will still be there working on the Skins new stadium deal.

That means by like Week 5 he will be back in charge

17 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Local CBS affiliate is reporting that Allen is going to be out by Monday.

Marvin Lewis is probably a good bet for the coach, though. I mean, what self-respecting, up-and-coming young coaching prospect is going to go work for Dan Snyder?

Imagine having worked for Mike Brown for 15 years and your next gig is for an even worse owner than him?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Imagine being so desperate that hiring a coach that has never won a playoff game with the Bengals is actually an upgrade 

I do like that the majority (small majority) are in Rippa thinking that Bruce isn't really leaving just changing the job title 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

I am saying it because it has already happened at least once. Last time lasted about 8 months and then Bruce was back in charge.

When all the stories are saying “well he isn’t on the football side anymore” instead of “was fired/retired” then I will believe it will happen again

Especially if you hire Marvin Lewis who will role over and accept whatever happens

Per all local reporting - the Skins will be hiring Ron Rivera tomorrow as long as he doesn't throw up all over himself.

They are the first team he is meeting with and reportedly they are giving him final say on all draft related matters.

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per all local reporting - the Skins will be hiring Ron Rivera tomorrow as long as he doesn't throw up all over himself.

They are the first team he is meeting with and reportedly they are giving him final say on all draft related matters.

How does that work with the Rooney Rule? Or did they "interview" Marvin Lewis and can skate on that?

50 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

How does that work with the Rooney Rule? Or did they "interview" Marvin Lewis and can skate on that?

Rivera is Spanish and considered a minority, So it's all good. Don't need to fake interview a minority candidate when you plan on hiring a minority in the first place.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If I had to take a guess the next Hard Knocks is the Steelers.   Maybe the Jets

The Jets aren’t “required” to do it since they were on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years

The teams that can be required (assuming none of them end up with a new coach) are:

• Pittsburgh
  • Denver
  • Detroit
  • Arizona

Basically firing Gruden in mid-season allowed Snyder to start talking to folks and he had the wool removed from his eyes when people were like "No chance we take that job with Bruce still around"

Apparently the talk of Bruce staying as some kind of stadium consultant was the last test to see if they could get away with it.  

Can argue it was one of the first times Richie Rich actually listened to the fans.  Had no choice 

Edited by hammerva