DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

The main issue isn't the length of suspension, the issue is that its Antonio Brown. Last offseason, Kareem Hunt still found a team even with an eight game suspension, theory being you are getting a healthy "great" player for the second half of the year and the playoffs. Course, Brown is a different situation. I figured if Brown could go one calendar year without doing anything insane that a team would take a chance on him with a low-risk contract, but he still seems to be having some issues.

But if the NFL doesn't change their minds and go full-bubble its a moot point for this season, MLB is showing why flying around the country for games is a bad idea. But players don't want a bubble so I don't see it happening.

The revised CBA was finally signed - players have till Thursday (August 6) at 4 pm EST to opt out

After that date, there are only two reasons a player can then opt out

• Player receives a new diagnosis that he suffers from one of the “Higher Risk” factors. If that occurs, the player will have one week after receiving the new diagnosis to opt out.
  • Player has a family member die or become hospitalized due to COVID-19 after August 6, the player will be eligible at that point to opt out.

If a player opts out - they can't opt back in

While I don't know all the behind the scenes of it, or who announced it first (sometimes the player does), I do agree with her that its medical information that should be kept private. False positives are going to happen, its common knowledge the testing isn't the most accurate thing in the world. The league has to be careful with not letting any player that tests positive around other players until they are sure but they need to do better about not letting the information "out" unless the player makes their own announcement about it.

From PFT:

Raiders coach Jon Gruden does not have COVID-19, but his players were led to believe he did.

According to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network, the Raiders logged into a Zoom team meeting expecting to be addressed by Gruden, only to hear from assistant head coach and special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia that Gruden was hospitalized with COVID-19.

That wasn’t true, but Gruden and the Raiders’ staff wanted to test how the players would react and prepare them for this most unpredictable of NFL seasons.

6 hours ago, dogwelder said:

From PFT:

Much like Mike Singletary dropping trou at halftime, stuff like this from Gruden would make me fire my coach instantly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Much like Mike Singletary dropping trou at halftime, stuff like this from Gruden would make me fire my coach instantly. 

I'm not sure the Raiders, known to be cash poor, could afford to fire him right now, especially looking at the hundreds of millions of dollars they are going to lose playing in front of an empty stadium (if they play at all)

12 hours ago, DangerMark said:

That is the dumbest thing I've heard a Football coach do since Jack del Rio decided it was a good idea to leave an axe lying round the place so that the punter could put it through his own non-kicking leg.

Unfortunately with "dumbest thing" and Jack Del Rio is an ever changing moment when you look at his Twitter

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not sure the Raiders, known to be cash poor, could afford to fire him right now, especially looking at the hundreds of millions of dollars they are going to lose playing in front of an empty stadium (if they play at all)

Didn't say THEY would but would.  Of course, I wouldn't have ever signed Gruden in the first place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Didn't say THEY would but would.  Of course, I wouldn't have ever signed Gruden in the first place.

I get what you are saying. My point is, I don't know if it's feasible for them to do so, even if they do want to. Unless they were real confident they could win a "for cause" case.

• Like 1