DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 12/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Last live show of 2019 has two big title matches:

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Adam Cole (c, bay bay) vs. Finn Balor

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Rhea Ripley

Another NXT UK vs. NXT match 

What's next for NXT Cruiserweight Champion Angel Garza? 

---

They've announced Cole-Balor will kick off the show, so he's safe.  Also, I'm guessing that means Shayna is dead meat. 

Cole reallly needs to drop the belt too.  I'm like Baszler quite a bit and don't mind Cole, but both are stale.  IMO, the show would be quite a bit better without the UE and the Horsewomen squashing everyone at the top of the card.

I don't have much faith they'll know what to do with Baszler on the main roster beyond her first feud or two, but it seems like she's been ready for a call-up for quite a while now.

I dunno what you do with Cole and the UE from this point on.

We've thought before that Shayna Baszler would drop the NXT Women's Championship to Bianca Belair and others...but she held on. This can't happen again.

I'd have preferred Adam Cole vs. Keith Lee with Lee winning the NXT Championship, then Cole vs. Ciampa to the match we've wound up with in Cole/Balor. I can see the title changing here. 

Shayna losing at this point is the right call unless they are planning on some major schmoz to get Ripley into a Takeover main event.  In no way should Shayna go over at this point, if she retains it should be booked as a narrow escape.  That being said I really don't think the rest of the NXT Horsewomen have been overpushed as the lackeys.  I don't think I've seen either of them win a match, ever?

I think Cole should drop the belt but not to Finn.

Cole/Finn feels weird because Cole should be dropping the title to Lee or Ciampa, but Finn shouldn't really be taking a loss here either.  

I can see Shayna winning this with some talking about wanting to see Ripley chase, but that really would be monumentally dumb. Ripley is ready. The audience is more than ready. And Raw/Becky need Shayna more anyways.

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Shayna losing at this point is the right call unless they are planning on some major schmoz to get Ripley into a Takeover main event. 

I *think* and I may be crazy here, but they may building to a Women's Championship unification match at Worlds Collide next month, and Kay Lee/Rhea could be incredible. 

And I'm definitely penciling in Shayna as a heavy favorite for Rumble '20. 

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Shayna losing and "debuting" at the Rumble would work.

I think this is the best course of action.

Cole is way past his sell by date as champ so having him drop the belt sooner would be better. Keith Lee would be a good pick for the next champ, though I think he's good enough and over enough to just debut on the main roster at the Rumble. If they do decide to keep him in NXT for a while longer then winning the title from Balor would be a bigger deal as Balor would be seen as a tougher opponent than Cole, plus the Rumble Takeover would be a bigger venue. Calling up the UE post-Rumble would be the best use of them as well. They're stale in NXT and it's now or never to try and get them over on the main roster.

Keith Lee wins the Rumble and chooses Finn and the NXT title as his match at Mania and wins the title there.

Shayna loses to Rhea and disappears for the next 5 weeks. She returns at the Rumble, wins it, and chooses Becky and the RAW title as her match at Mania.

That was the best episode of NXT I've seen in a long time. I wish Cole had dropped the title but that match was still good without going into forced epic territory. As someone who has enjoyed Trevor Lee's work for a while I'm glad to see him getting a rub.

Yeah, tonight was probably the strongest in-ring episode of NXT since getting on USA.  The Io match was the only squash and it was a decently competitive one.  They're really going to need a lot of make shift teams for the Dusty Classic because the tag division is pretty barren.

5 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

This would probably make him look ... not smart.

Yeah, if you have two NXT stars win the Rumbles and one chooses to go to what is still considered one of the main roster shows while the other elects to remain in the lesser-known NXT, it may seem odd.

Great all-around show. Lots of stories furthered and seeing what they do with Rhea as champ will be interesting.

25 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Yeah, tonight was probably the strongest in-ring episode of NXT since getting on USA.  The Io match was the only squash and it was a decently competitive one.  They're really going to need a lot of make shift teams for the Dusty Classic because the tag division is pretty barren.

There wasn't a bad match or even a boring match tonight which is pretty rare for WWE.  Kushida/Grimes was probably the one match I didn't care about only because of the 50/50 booking.  But I at least enjoyed the fans noticing Grimes not kicking out in time.  I'll take Io squashes every week.  She's one of the few talents who doesn't feel cookie cutter.  She comes off as someone who gets  to do whatever they feel like.  And she's got the best theme in wrestling.

Rhea's win has to be the biggest pop in Full Sail ever.  Those fans lost their goddamn minds.  And HEY, BUGENHAGEN SIGHTING in the post-match!  I swear I heard that he quit.

I didn't pay much attention to Cole/Finn. What I saw seemed solid.

I kind of skipped Priest/Dain. I just don't give a damn about either guy.

Io/Santana was a nice little showcase for Santana.

Grimes/Kushida was solid.

Dunne/Banks was good. Thought Banks had an especially nice showing.

Rhea/Shayna was great, and I'm so pleased to see Shayna's reign is over. That might have been the best match in her entire reign. It was easily the best performance I've seen out of Rhea as well. Everyone coming down o celebrate including the audience getting into the ring was wonderful.

What an exciting main event and not just because I bet $50 on Ripley to win. When the WWE wants to, they can do epic babyface wins almost better than any company on Earth. That was a like classic WWE main event-style match. Ref bumps, false finish, overcoming odds, and then a superwoman babyface overcoming the heel. 

When they choose the right people to push, that format is so great. 

I know it sounds revisionist but when I saw Ripley in that first MYC I was really intrigued. Ton of size, a great look and she just had something.  And then the next year she found her character and she became a can't miss. 

Honestly, the company should look at her and Toni Storm - both early twenties Aussies -  and see their Lee-Takahashi, Hunter-Rock, Cena-Orton generational feud that they can run for the next eight years. 

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 1

There is no way they could not put the belt on Rhea.  I wish it would've been on a PPV but even so, last night's show felt big with the two title defenses.

I figured that Finn wasn't going to win.  His feud with Johnny Watches Wrestling needs a blow off and Ciampa's obviously being booked to lift the title off of Bay Bay.

The Cameron Grimes / KUSHIDA match almost stole the card.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

I kind of skipped Priest/Dain. I just don't give a damn about either guy.

It was solid match but nothing to write home about.  Priest got a much needed win to keep him from looking like super jobber.

Edited by J.T.

Great match from Shayna/Rhea. Loved that the fans were so into it and that Rhea finally dethroned her. Having said that, I’m not sure how well Shayna will do on the main roster. She is certainly ready but the booking there has been so trash. 

Also really liked the Io/Santana squash. I dig Evil Io so much.