DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Cleaner Kenny was peak cartoon imo.

That's an excellent point. I hadn't even thought about the chainsaw stubble or the cold spray obsession or the sweeping to the beat of his theme. 

He really reminds me of Angle with the mix of comedy and then at the flip of a switch he's a stone cold killer. The difference being is that Kenny kind of does them at the same time, whereas Kurt typically was all business or all comedy.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I’ve never seen Kenny as a killer, cold or otherwise. Anything out there worth seeing to illustrate that point?

I guess that was likely a poor choice of words. I meant it in the sense that his shit with Okada & Tanahashi or his work in the AJPW Junior League or his PWG stuff or his G1 runs was of a more serious nature. Even the beginning of the Cleaner stuff was pretty well straightforward and then the goofball shit started to creep in. I mean, the idea of a wrestler wanting to be Albert Wesker or Marion Cobretti is inherently silly, but I didn't really start to see the jokey stuff in that run until a little later on. 

Guest The Magnificent 7
14 hours ago, Goodear said:

I’ve never seen Kenny as a killer, cold or otherwise. Anything out there worth seeing to illustrate that point?

He almost drowned the Canadian 24/7 champion and gave him a Michinoku Driver off a sand dune a long time ago. That not enough of a killer for you?  

https://youtu.be/2XJF7huzUis

Cody & Darby vs. Butcher & The Blade

PROS: Butcher looked really good this outing and much more confident than in the previous match up. I loved the mouth guard spots he did and especially the deadlift powerbomb out of the Texas Cloverleaf. Bunny is a pretty good second.  Darby's offense works so well for a small guy the way he moves around the ring and attacking from different angles. Allin really grabs my attention and I like his push as the guy who will step to the biggest stars in the company.

CONS: Blade didn't pop very much and seemed to be going to the floor too much for my tastes.  He seems to like tossing people out and being tossed a lot. I think they cut Darby off too quickly on the hot tag and should have been feeding him a bit more before cutting him off. Darby ate shit on the stereo dives and that's okay, it happens. But that mother fucking truck HAS to show a replay to highlight it. Cody doesn't need another finisher and AEW as a whole needs another cutter variation like it needs a hole in the head.

Lucha Brothers vs Kenny Omega & Adam Page

PROS: Page wrestled more to his character in this to me with a ton of clotheslines and forearms and even his dives were meaty instead of fancy. I really like that development. Fenix's spin kicks are goddamn fierce and Pentagon (when he's not spamming the taunt button) is a favorite of mine. 

CONS: Kenny doesn't come off as special in these matches considering he's the number 4 or 5 star in the company. Obviously Pentagon doing a taunt for a minute and half is going too far and plays too much to the crowd for a heel. Fenix botched pretty severely no selling a dragon suplex in order to forward roll into a cutter to … no one because Kenny moved over to Pentagon. Oops. At least the truck didn't show it on replay. Fenix over forward rolls for someone who is not RVD. I liked the finish since I called it and feel so very smart. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Fenix's spin kicks are goddamn fierce

This reminds me that he did some kind of jumping spinning kick to either Page or Omega in the corner and I marked incredibly hard for that because it was super impressive.

• Like 1

He's been using that as a set-up for the muscle buster driver thing he does. That was not the case in the tag this past week though. 

It is going to feel like an eternity between episodes. Shame it ended on a misfire.

Serious question (and yes I realize I'm like the board's top AEW fanboy or something) - am I the only one that didn't super hate the closing angle? Didn't even hear about/see the phantom punches until this past weekend, but it didn't really sour me on the angle. I think it was too late in the show (but ultimately too early in Dark Order's evolution as an act) to run that angle, but that's really my only complaint. The hate for it seems overblown, to me anyway.

The matches between the Bucks and Dark Order will be bananas, and I'm here for the storytelling part of the feud too, especially if Brandon Cutler really is already in the Dark Order's ranks.

I thought it was a good idea but was missing something. Either the Dark Order use newly recruited Beaver Boys to destroy a midcard tag team like Private Party (PP beat Beaver Boys but lose to Dark Order proper), or they have a bigger surprise member (Page or Marty) if they're taking out The Elite. As is, a jobber team was part of the big angle that saw the entirety of The Elite and Dustin destroyed by Jon Silver and Alex Reynolds. I have long defended the Dark Order/SSB in-ring work but thought the packaging needed a face lift. They got it in the form of the cult of losers. Still wish the putty patrol had better gear but I'm on board. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Lucha Brothers vs Kenny Omega & Adam Page

PROS: Page wrestled more to his character in this to me with a ton of clotheslines and forearms and even his dives were meaty instead of fancy. I really like that development. Fenix's spin kicks are goddamn fierce and Pentagon (when he's not spamming the taunt button) is a favorite of mine. 

CONS: Kenny doesn't come off as special in these matches considering he's the number 4 or 5 star in the company. Obviously Pentagon doing a taunt for a minute and half is going too far and plays too much to the crowd for a heel. Fenix botched pretty severely no selling a dragon suplex in order to forward roll into a cutter to … no one because Kenny moved over to Pentagon. Oops. At least the truck didn't show it on replay. Fenix over forward rolls for someone who is not RVD. I liked the finish since I called it and feel so very smart. 

Was Pentagon doing a La Parka tribute in this match with the “dancing”? 

Also you could tell early on the Lucha Bros were hella worried about tagging in and out properly to the point Fenix looked confused as shit about whether he was the legal man or not a few times and for the last 1/3 they were just like fuck it and went back to not giving a shit. 

5 hours ago, Goodear said:

Pentagon (when he's not spamming the taunt button) is a favorite of mine. 

I am so done with his Cero Miedo horseshit. Get out there and throw bombs, do the cool shit I am so aware of you being able to do and let's limit the taunt to a pre or post-match deal. He is on it like I am whenever I play Dan Hibiki. Fucking taunt taunt taunt. I could do without him peeling his glove like a banana to throw the taunt as well.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Serious question (and yes I realize I'm like the board's top AEW fanboy or something) - am I the only one that didn't super hate the closing angle? Didn't even hear about/see the phantom punches until this past weekend, but it didn't really sour me on the angle. I think it was too late in the show (but ultimately too early in Dark Order's evolution as an act) to run that angle, but that's really my only complaint. The hate for it seems overblown, to me anyway.

The matches between the Bucks and Dark Order will be bananas, and I'm here for the storytelling part of the feud too, especially if Brandon Cutler really is already in the Dark Order's ranks.

Not only did I not hate it, I was actively on board for it. All the folks really up in arms about it being wrong in tone and with the wrong guys going over the big babys in the company seems like hyperbole. Not that they can't hate it, but a lot of shit in today's world seems like you have to be all the way in for something, or all the way against it. A lot of what I have read about people's thoughts on it seem like because it wasn't their cup of tea, they have to spew as much venom as they can at it instead of just being like, "Eh, wasn't for me, and I think they went the wrong way." My bolded part of your quote is the only real beef I had with it. 

• Like 2