DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

-Lucha Bros-Omega/Page was great, especially since I didn't have hear the formers' theme music.  Fenix is nuts.  I love the double-stomp package piledriver combo.

-BBB-Cody/Darby was okay.  I think a couple weeks of BBB beating up jobbers would maybe make them seem like more of a threat.  Cody's diving diamond cutter is worse than Cena's weird Stunner.

-Jericho-"Jungle Jack...Jungle Jack Perry...Jungle Boy or whatever you want to call him" was excellent.  One of those little stories WWE should do but seems to have forgotten how to do much of the time.  Jericho bullying into 5 more minutes then quitting was great.  Only thing missing was a shot of Jungle Boy hugging his family!  Why they no show that?!

-I did not care for Statlander-Baker, and that's not all on Baker either.  Statlander's goofy tendencies are a straight deal-breaker for me.  I like when Ivar (Ibar?) cartwheels out of the way of a clothesline (I don't like it every match but...that's a WWE issue).  I'd have no problem with Statlander cartwheeling out of the way of a move either.  I DO have a problem with her cartwheeling in a circle around the ring while her opponent stands there and watches and doesn't, I don't know, kick her in the face??!  Not feeling the boop either.  I thought this was mostly boring and I don't think the crowd really cared all that much either.

-I like Brandi's Dark Order group better than the real Dark Order.  The squash was fine, and them beating up Statlander was better.

-Main event was kind of anti-climactic.  I think there was timing issues because all of a sudden it was just kind of over and the crowd was rather surprised too.  The Dark Order beatdown was silly, really.  It reminded me a lot of Baron Corbin's army of security guards.  That's...not a good thing.  Was Evil Uno supposed to be ripping out one of the Buck's teeth at the end? Or did he just put his fingers in his mouth for some reason?

Lots of people missing tonight: Moxley (Really could have used his energy/reactions in the last 40 minutes), MJF, Riho (Hasn't wrestled in weeks), Private Party (Went from being king-sized the first few weeks to...absent...unless they're on Dark, I've lost track of Dark), Pac (wrestling), Spears and Janella (The former seems to have forgotten about the latter kidnapping his manager and just did a promo about finding a tag partner), the whole Inner Circle except for Jericho and Hager.

Edited by caley
  • Like 3

I was thinking about how he's one of the few people not to have been signed up by an American company yet. I know he's keeping himself busy in Mexico but he would be perfect for them. Also please bring back Catrina tho. Like, really please. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I was thinking about how he's one of the few people not to have been signed up by an American company yet. 

I assume you don't mean he's never been signed up by one. Who could forget the lasting legacy of Judas Mesias? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I sorta respect the Elite for being so gung ho with the Dark Order push. Sure the fans won't like it but you gotta stick to your convictions sometimes. I'm guessing this is leading to Page being in the group which is alright.

Jericho/Jungle Boy was awesome. Jericho played his role great and Jungle boy has potential. I think he needs to get away from Stunt and Luchasaurus tho to really get on the next level.

The tag matches were good in ring but man I don't care about any of those guys to get emotionally invested in it. I think that's the side effect of watching so much wrestling during the week. Just get desensitized with these matches.

16 minutes ago, caley said:

Lots of people missing tonight: Moxley (Really could have used his energy/reactions in the last 40 minutes), MJF, Riho (Hasn't wrestled in weeks), Private Party (Went from being king-sized the first few weeks to...absent...unless they're on Dark, I've lost track of Dark), Pac (wrestling), Spears and Janella (The former seems to have forgotten about the latter kidnapping his manager and just did a promo about finding a tag partner), the whole Inner Circle except for Jericho and Hager.

Shawn Spears trying to find a tag team partner is continuing a story they started last week. Which is also when Janela "kidnapped" Tully. Presumably this is heading towards Janela interrupting Spears' attempts at gelling with a potential partner, leading to a tag match or something between Spears and a partner vs Janela and a partner.

Private Party and PAC were literally on Dark yesterday, in the opener and main event respectively. I know you said you don't watch Dark, but that's kind of what that show is for. It's supplemental content, yeah, but if they aren't on Dynamite one week, chances are said roster member will be on Dark.

EDIT: I just checked the spoilers, and...

Spoiler

The missing members of the Inner Circle wrestle, as do Best Friends, Private Party, and there's a match between Janela and Spears. So that pretty much covers all of that part I quoted.

Edited by Casey

14 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I was thinking about how he's one of the few people not to have been signed up by an American company yet. I know he's keeping himself busy in Mexico but he would be perfect for them. Also please bring back Catrina tho. Like, really please. 

Catrina was amazing in LU!

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Until they won. ?

I think I left the room after they won.  So I missed it

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Shawn Spears trying to find a tag team partner is continuing a story they started last week. Which is also when Janela "kidnapped" Tully. Presumably this is heading towards Janela interrupting Spears' attempts at gelling with a potential partner, leading to a tag match or something between Spears and a partner vs Janela and a partner.

Or..Janela and Spears becoming a team!

=====

I think the commentary was better tonight and I have to give kudos for JR apologizing to TSN for saying "Ass".  They must have had a discussion because I'm not sure TSN censored anything all night!

Another fun week of Dynamite. Great opening tag with a lot of time and the Cody tag was another good one. I like the Cody Cutter as his new alternate finish. Jericho/Jungle Boy ruled as expected. I was afraid he was gonna tap with seconds left when Jericho put the Walls in with over a minute to go but glad to see him hang in. Enjoyed Kris/Baker as well. Main event was decent but did seem to end out of nowhere. I always appreciate the babyfaces helping each other out, so I was glad to see them get back to that with the Elite coming to each others' aid again. I was looking around trying to figure if any of the masked guys were gonna unmask as Hangman but glad that was not the case. Most importantly, what has Pac done with Nakazawa? Where did they go? Did Kenny abandon the search to save his other friends, did Hangman not come down because he continued the search? I hope the mystery is resolved. Will seem strange to not have an episode now next week but looking forward to 1/1 being another stacked one.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That main event ending with a job tag team angle, lol. I think they needed something more impactful than Jon Silver and  Alex Reynolds joining the Dark Order though it was cool to see the entire Elite try to put them over.

If everyone is a star, nobody is a star.

I think it's very nice guys like Omega/Bucks/Cody wanna help everyone of their buddies out & make everyone feel important but that's not how pro wrestling works. When pro wrestling is working well you have either a big star like Hogan/Cena or a group of top guys who are clearly positioned as head and shoulders above the rest. Kenny should not be going 50/50 and needing 15 minutes to beat Kip Sabian. Bucks should not be losing tag feuds to Lucha Bros, LAX, SCU & presumably next to the Dark Order. Cody is currently elevating MJF yet he's also fucking around with Butcher, Blade, Darby & already went through the Spears nonsense. The funny thing is the example is right there in front of them - Moxley. He's a star. He gave Janela a bit but beat him quite decisively. Same thing with Darby. Jericho is doing a masterful job at making people feel important by giving them a little but still you never leave the match/angle/feud thinking they are completely on his level. The Omega/Bucks/Cody group have not mastered that yet. They end up bringing themselves down to the level of the guys they think they are elevating.

You can't make everyone all at once & you can't waste valuable TV time on nonsense like this Brandi thing. She's great on the eyes but the entire concept of another group recruiting people is superfluous.

I really liked the show even with the cold angle at the end. Hopefully this break gives everyone a chance to step back and re-examine what's going on here. I'm all for the group-think instead of a one man Vince McMahon's way or the highway product but there definitely needs to be one person at the top willing to tell people 'no' for the betterment of the company.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I forgot to mention the best part of the final angle:

JR:  "Stay with us tonight...the movie Battleship is next."

Excalibur:  "Despicable."

I do miss Josh/Callis putting over what ever movie was after Impact for the week on POP TV. 

So that reminded me of that every week. 

With the way the crowd is reacting THE Dark Order their angle leading into Battleship is fitting. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caley said:

Statlander's goofy tendencies are a straight deal-breaker for me.  I like when Ivar (Ibar?) cartwheels out of the way of a clothesline (I don't like it every match but...that's a WWE issue).  I'd have no problem with Statlander cartwheeling out of the way of a move either.  I DO have a problem with her cartwheeling in a circle around the ring while her opponent stands there and watches and doesn't, I don't know, kick her in the face??!

I don't disagree, but I do think it's odd to single her out in a company that relies heavily on those kinds of spots.

7 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

I sorta respect the Elite for being so gung ho with the Dark Order push. Sure the fans won't like it but you gotta stick to your convictions sometimes.

Vince McMahon, is that you?

• Haha 1

Man Marty debuting sure would have heated things up more than that finish. 

Loved jungle boy vs Jericho and the opening and closing tags were both great. 

Cant believe they showed Riho for 3 seconds and there were numerous other timing issues on commentary/feed (not talking about the dark order stuff). 

AEW has always claimed that they don't follow the NXT product and given that main event angle that has to be true.  I can't imagine that anyone knew that Rhea vs Shayna would be the main event and thought an angle with a dead in the water Dark Order beatdown would actually be better.  I mean even AEW biggest fan boys aren't high on the Dark Order. 

Which is a shame because the Super Smash Brothers are a great team but man they have been in a deep narrow well for almost a year with this  and it is going to take a lot to get out of it

"You said you would beat Jungle Boy in 10 minutes."
"No I didn't."
"Yes you did."
"No I didn't."
"Yes you did."
"No I didn't."
"Yes you did."
"SHUT UP, SKEE-A-VONE!"

I popped so fucking hard for that.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, caley said:

I DO have a problem with her cartwheeling in a circle around the ring while her opponent stands there and watches and doesn't, I don't know, kick her in the face??!  Not feeling the boop either. 

I agree on the cartwheeling, but the boop? 

The boop is how her species communicates! That is why she is one of my top 3 femaliens of all time. If anyone from AEW reads this board, feel free to steal that portmanteau as I'm immensely proud of it, even though there was apparently a film of the same name in 1996.

Edited by King Leonidas Of Sparta
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Is Pepper Parks a real name?  Least intimidating name ever. If there was a character named Pepper Parks in Punch-Out you’d fight him before Glass Joe. 

In the early 00s he was doing a male cheerleader gimmick long before the Spirit Squad came along. The name was a lot more fitting then.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ. I don't want to hear about Dave being an AEW homer ever again. He said this was a tipping point and it was WCW. Basically because it is not NJPW America it isn't what people were hoping for. Hyperbole to the max. Ooor, could it be that different people want different things? 

• Like 6

Playing catch up but I liked what I saw of the show. Jericho/Jungleboy was great and I dug Statlander/Baker too. Not sure how things will shake out with the women but I’m definitely more interested than I was. Those two and Priestly, Shida, Shanna, Rose, and Swole are a good base to build off of. I almost forgot about Brandi’s thing because it’s so skippable when I’m not watching live. I wish that wasn’t the angle dominating that division right now, I feel like it’s stunting some organic stories that are coming up.

The booking of the tag division is kind of a mess. A hot new tag team debuts one week and loses to two singles guys in their second match? BS. The Dark Order dominate the Elite but can’t actually win any matches of consequence? BS. Your champs are your least over team? BS. I’ll give AEW this, they are giving the Dark Order a full shot to get over. If fans still aren’t biting in 2020, it’ll be time to rethink things but you can’t say they didn’t get a chance.

The PAC/Omega/Page three way feud is interesting. If it ends in Page and PAC being allies I’ll be pleased. They’ve been building Page well right from the start and a vicious heel run could put him over the top.

Good shit.

• Like 1

We had fun there live.  Venue was pretty small, and the non-TV side was pretty empty, kinda like most WWE shows. 

Opening tag was the best.  We didn't stick around for AEW Dark - had to drive 3 hours back to Houston.  Sammy Guevara vs. Brandon Cutler was the first dark match before they went live and it was fine.  We had no idea what was going on with the PAC stuff -- we couldn't see who he kidnapped or what happened.  No idea what the hell is going on with Brandi or the Dark Order.  Only match that dragged was the Statlander / Baker match, but it got decent at the end. 

Lawful Metal Jr. was happy.  He said he got to see a couple "bucket list" wrestlers in Pentagon, Kenny, Young Bucks.  I had fun too.

• Like 3

Cool to see Kris doing so well. I saw her, for the first time, at SHIMMER against Allysin Kaye and could definitely see the potential. I’m torn on whether I want to see her actually defeat Riho or not since I’ve enjoyed her as champion. I do like Brandi’s unit thus far. Waiting for them to throw Melanie Cruise in the ring too. 

• Like 1