DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

38 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

nah, we have a ton of mutuals and my twitter feed was ablaze. I guess she has had 2 delays and had been stuck in Orlando.  I'd never wish for someone to miss a big opportunity like this, especially for something out of her control. 

I was just goofing around. No offence meant.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Is Pepper Parks a real name?  Least intimidating name ever. If there was a character named Pepper Parks in Punch-Out you’d fight him before Glass Joe. 

Another good showing, but the crowd died out before the main event. Main event was really good too, but the energy level of the crowd made it feel a little flat.

Also, I still really don't like the Dark Order. I can't think of a single time they've come out and the crowd hasn't gone "fuck this."

EDIT: Also, I started this thread because it doesn't look like the other one will automatically unlock.

Edited by Craig H
  • Thanks 1

That opening god damned 70 minutes was just perfect pro wrestling. Three good-to-great matches that were all different and all succeeded in getting people over. I adore that shit!

Then there was some stuff that happened. That's the problem. Those opening 70 were so great that it was only down from there. Main event was fine and I understand wanting to establish SCU as a top level team but they're what? The 5th or 6th most over team on the roster? But you don't want to cut them off at the knees with a shitty, short reign. I get it. But it's not clicking.

lol @ the main event ending with a job tag team angle, lol. I think they needed something more impactful than Jon Silver and  Alex Reynolds joining the Dark Order though it was cool to see the entire Elite try to put them over.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 5

And to think, in all those months in the lead up to AEW, people were worried about the Elite putting themselves over...when they should have been worried about the Elite’s steadfast devotion to putting over the Super Smash Bros. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Wasn't really feeling it so spent most of the time listening to music or playing bass. I went out of my way to ignore the opener and the Bucks. I think I'm done watching Kenny Omega matches. 

The Butcher and Blade match was alright though they probably should have won again and Cody's moveset with the Cross Rhodes and the fucking backward Stunner is so Indy Create-A-Wrestler. Best thing that I did watch was probably Jungle Boy/Jericho, putting the limit on and then the restart and having him throw in the towel was so shitty of him. The big dumb guy almost killing Marko on his dive from the apron was nasty. 

Should I go back and watch the women's match? Kind of kicking myself for not paying attention to that until the finish.

I'm totally on board with the Dark Order. As is my oldest. He just had me go and sign up for whatever their horseshit is on joindarkorder.com, so we'll see what comes of that. I do find it pretty odd that the show ended with a jobber team being the main focus of joining a faction, but I'll trust that they know where they are going with it. Maybe Dark Order is going to be a long-running big bad for AEW, and this is the beginning of their dominance?

Commercial break fuckery still irks the hell out of me, but whatever. 

Britt Baker is not good. I hate to bust her balls every time she is on TV, but all her shit looks like it's done at one quarter speed, and nothing has any crispness. Kris Statlander is weird and fun and looks like maybe she has a real grasp on whatever the fuck this alien deal is, even if I don't. Any chance that they run with her dethroning Riho? 

The main didn't really click for me. Maybe it was the face vs face setup, but I didn't get enough urgency of either team really trying to get the job done. 

Jungle Boy and Jericho was FUN AS FUCK. This whole deal of Jericho being the guy to make everyone look good is unreal, man. He's such a good goddamn pro wrestler, and it is so evident how seriously he is taking the role of being the lead guy for AEW in its infancy.

Kong squash was whatever, I get that she makes the division credible, but if she can't work real matches, who gives a shit that she's there?

Page / Omega v Lucha Bros was about what I was expecting, but I thought Hangman was turning for sure tonight. PAC abducting Nakazawa extends his eventual turn out a few weeks I guess?

Once again, two hours that absolutely flew by. Good stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Should I go back and watch the women's match? Kind of kicking myself for not paying attention to that until the finish.

It wasn't the best thing ever, but it was decent - if you can look past Britt Baker not even trying on a lot of things.

12 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Who else was was waiting for Page to run in last with a chair and then waffle all the faces and join the Dark Order??

I was waiting for the lights to go out again and hear WOOP WOOP. Or maybe the lights come back on and an umbrella is left in the ring.

EDIT: Also Darby posted on Instagram that his rematch against Cody is happening on January 1st. And I guess Statlander/Riho is on that show too, if the announce team is to be believed.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Who else was was waiting for Page to run in last with a chair and then waffle all the faces and join the Dark Order??

That's what I thought the bigger reveal was going to be. Alex Reynolds and John Silver is a start, but the Dark Order will eventually need a bigger name to join them.

I don't get the hate for the gimmick that others around here have. They've done a complete 180 from their cold debut to having a gimmick that is mostly flushed out and would be easy to explain to a new fan just watching for the first time.

• Like 1

It’s probably too soon to give Statlander the belt, but they’ve really got something with her.  She’s still pretty raw in the ring, but she has a unique presence and all of her shit looks good, which is more than can be said for most of the women in this division.

And hats off to AEW for realizing the Britt thing wasn’t working and strapping the rocket to an act that is.  It’s pretty much the opposite of what we’re seeing in the tag division with Dark Order.

Speaking of which, it’s kind of funny how we’ve spent the last several weeks watching their videos and thinking, “Hey, maybe they can save this act.”  And then the moment they show up again, everybody like, “Nope, this still sucks.”  I think the issue is that they made it a main event angle.  If they had brought it back in the midcard, it probably gets received differently.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I was waiting for the lights to go out again and hear WOOP WOOP. Or maybe the lights come back on and an umbrella is left in the ring.

Marty as the real power behind the Dark Order would be a great reveal. I was thinking it, but didn't want to get my hopes up too high.

Two things were wrong with that Dark Order angle, and one of them has already been mentioned (Silver & Reynolds being the reveal). It's also showing no real cohesion between BTE and Dynamite, since that was already shown there (or was it Dark? I can't remember right now). That segment needed a bigger surprise, whether it was Page coming out and electing not to help the Elite, or a Scurll debut, or whatever. I don't have a problem with the Dark Order stuff, I've been on their bandwagon since day one in AEW, but that was definitely a swing and a miss. I like stables, too, but they're going way too far with this stuff. You've already got a heel stable for the men and women, and now the Dark Order. If they're trying to structure this like New Japan's group wars, then we need more face groups besides the Elite. We've got plenty of trios teams, but we've got three heel stables and one face stable. It's a bit much. Depending on IF Marty Scurll debuts, and if he brings his own Enterprises group with him (but with different guys), then that could either be a fourth heel group or a second face one.

I'm here for this stuff, but they need to do something to establish Dark Order as a real threat, because even Grayson & Uno by themselves aren't that successful in the tag ranks. Adding a jobber team to their group, and a bunch of nameless faceless creepers doesn't do anything for the position AEW seemingly wants them to be in - beyond being a pit stop on the way to something bigger for guys like Omega, the Bucks, Dustin, Cody, etc.

Oh - and the other problem with all of this was that it probably would have gotten a better receiption if it didn't close out the show. Not to mention that the crowd was kind of dying by the time the main event started. Switch this match/angle with Jericho/Jungle Boy and it would have worked better probably. Or the Cody tag.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

Definitely was a good night for in-ring work.  I loved the shit out of Jungle Boy/Jericho, and it was exactly how the thing should've played out.  Jericho gave a ton to Jungle Boy and he looked amazing, as a result.  This is exactly the type of stuff WWE should have been doing with the matches they've done with AJ Styles/Cedric and Styles/Carillo, in that Cedric and Carillo lost but they still were put over well.  I was a little worried that they were going to be beat Jungle Boy when Jericho asked for more time but he pulled out the ultimate heel move by then leaving when he starting losing.  Great stuff and Hager has never looked better and seemed pretty charismatic and dynamic.

The main event was great and the opener was pretty decent.  I'm glad they didn't get the belts off SCU so quickly like I feared they would.  I'm not sure what to make of Dark Order and I'm trying to figure out why I should care that those two guys were initiated in.  I totally have a huge problem with Omega taking the fall in the opener.  It took me a while to jump on this train but I have to say they aren't doing Kenny any favors here.  It's been said but to new viewers of AEW, Kenny hasn't looked like more than an upper mid-card guy.  If Moxley doesn't beat Jericho for the belt in February, they then need to get it on to Kenny in May with some damn good build-up.  The Nakazawa thing was lame and I don't think they've established the friendship well between him and Kenny.  Why am I supposed to care about Pac beating him up when that hasn't been fully established and I couldn't even see his face in the angle?

I'm glad they didn't give the win to Baker but she at least looked acceptable out there.  The alien gimmick has to go and the booping has potential to get over but Statlander looked like a goober during that interview with Schiavone.  The Brandi stuff was acceptable but the whole gimmick resembles the Dark Order too much with the recruitment and all.  

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

EDIT: Also Darby posted on Instagram that his rematch against Cody is happening on January 1st. And I guess Statlander/Riho is on that show too, if the announce team is to be believed.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Marty as the real power behind the Dark Order would be a great reveal. I was thinking it, but didn't want to get my hopes up too high.

It would make perfect sense as to why they decided to get shit popping off tonight with the Bucks, knowing that the rest of the Elite would come down and help out so they could rat pack them all. 

That would be pretty goddamn solid. And a fucking excellent way to bring on Marty as a big deal for folks that don't know who he is. Although, realistically, how many people watching are not indy fans? I would imagine their demo is basically every pro wres nerd out there, right?

• Like 1

Just now, grilledcheese said:

Although, realistically, how many people watching are not indy fans? I would imagine their demo is basically every pro wres nerd out there, right?

This has been my thought since AEW started. The majority of their audience, both live and watching, probably know who most of these people are. Which is why you barely get any introduction to new characters, or things that happen on Being The Elite. Sure, it sucks for those that aren't long time fans of the Elite, or indie wrestling nerds, but it is what it is, and they seem pretty comfortable continuing along on that path. I'm fine with it, since I watch BTE every Monday, and I have an idea of who most of the new faces are (if not being an outright fan, like I am with Statlander).

People say they need to change that so the company can grow, but I think this is a reverse ECW situation where they're perfectly happy where they're at with the promotion and who it reaches every week. They aren't trying to dethrone WWE, because who can at this point? Carve out a niche, and stay in your own lane. 

• Like 5

Man, I'll be the one:  Dark Order failed initially, the fans hated them and not in a good-heel-heat way, so they went overboard tonight.  This was absolute Vince McMahon "You'll fucking hate who I TELL YOU TO HATE!" garbage.  I just don't care about them.  It's jobbers in masks.  And all your main guys got massacred by them.  And the ringleader is a middle-aged looking guy named Stu.  Which might have worked fifty years ago if it was Stu Hart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Man, I'll be the one:  Dark Order failed initially, the fans hated them and not in a good-heel-heat way, so they went overboard tonight.  This was absolute Vince McMahon "You'll fucking hate who I TELL YOU TO HATE!" garbage.  I just don't care about them.  It's jobbers in masks.  And all your main guys got massacred by them.  And the ringleader is a middle-aged looking guy named Stu.  Which might have worked fifty years ago if it was Stu Hart.

Stu isn't the ringleader.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1