DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Tonight's the "Winter Finale" (even though winter does not begin until Saturday).  On the card:

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Young Bucks vs. SCU (c)

Jungle Boy vs. AEW Champion Chris Jericho

The Butcher & The Blade vs. Cody & Darby Allin

FOR THE #1 CONTENDER SLOT FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Kris Statlander vs. Britt Baker

Lucha Bros vs. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page

Plus, WHOMST has the Dark Order recruited?

This looks like an exciting week of television. I am more interested in the booking decisions. Do they finally end the SCU reign and start pushing the Bucks? Do they end the Baker experiment and run with Statlander? I want them to let Butcher & Blade get the win but I don't want them to sacrifice Darby in order to do it. It's way too early to let them lose also. This actually feels like the right time to introduce their first DQ. Jungle Boy should go ten minutes with Jericho... or 9:50 before tapping out. Lucha Bros should defeat Omega and Page. 

I can't wait to see how it all plays out. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

This looks like an exciting week of television. I am more interested in the booking decisions. Do they finally end the SCU reign and start pushing the Bucks? Do they end the Baker experiment and run with Statlander? I want them to let Butcher & Blade get the win but I don't want them to sacrifice Darby in order to do it. It's way too early to let them lose also. This actually feels like the right time to introduce their first DQ. Jungle Boy should go ten minutes with Jericho... or 9:50 before tapping out. Lucha Bros should defeat Omega and Page. 

I can't wait to see how it all plays out. 

I think it's too early for SCU to lose the belts.  I'd love to see Statlander pushed up the card at the expense of Baker, who has had enough chances and is not too great.  Great question about the Cody/Darby vs B&B match.  I'm doing my best to just enjoy the show and not try to wonder "how are they going to keep everybody strong???'  because keeping everyone strong is lame.  But I do get your point.

I think the subtle dissension between Omega and Page needs to be drawn out a bit longer.  Someone else here said this would be the night Page turns, which seems WWE-quick. 

• Like 2

That looks like a solid card.

And yeah, you've spent a lot of time building up SCU, especially Scorpio Sky.  It's too soon for them to drop the belts to the Bucks.

That Lucha Bros vs. Omega / Page match should be hot fire if Kenny doesn't goof off too much.

• Like 1

My Preview:

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Young Bucks vs. SCU (c)

The tag division doesn't seem so heated right now after an initial surge with Scorpio Sky feeling more like a singles wrestler on the brink of stardom while also the tag champion. I don't see this as particularly productive since there are no feuds in the division right now. SCU doesn't seem to have any steam on them at the moment and I'm not sure this match is going to help that since the division has no direction.  Putting the Bucks on top doesn't really do anything to fix that either.

Jungle Boy vs. AEW Champion Chris Jericho

Should be a solid piece of work if they don't make it all about Luchasaurus and Marko interference to pad the run time.  Using those guys to stop the Inner Circle would be totally fine but Jericho shouldn't get the better of them 3-on-1.  I would like to see JB gut out the survival in the Walls until 10 minutes is up and Jericho keeps it on past the bell to build heat for all involved.  

This seems too early?  Like I don't feel like Cody was in a spot of desperation enough to warrant this which feels like the blow off?  Butcher & The Blade almost feel like dead men walking to me after only 2 weeks and that's no good.  

FOR THE #1 CONTENDER SLOT FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Kris Statlander vs. Britt Baker

I would like to see them transition to Baker as a heel (which would be easy) after this.  I'm really not interested in the Brandi angle although I expect it to be featured here.  Hopefully it will be after the match so Statlander can get the most out of a victory.

Lucha Bros vs. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page

I'm not excited for the spot fest when I think a heat segment would be the most useful thing for the Page narrative whether he or Kenny does it.

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I think it's too early for SCU to lose the belts.  I'd love to see Statlander pushed up the card at the expense of Baker, who has had enough chances and is not too great.  Great question about the Cody/Darby vs B&B match.  I'm doing my best to just enjoy the show and not try to wonder "how are they going to keep everybody strong???'  because keeping everyone strong is lame.  But I do get your point.

I think the subtle dissension between Omega and Page needs to be drawn out a bit longer.  Someone else here said this would be the night Page turns, which seems WWE-quick. 

I saw something in the rankings that really disturbed me. A ton of people have 3-2 or 4-3 records. It's not quite 50/50 booking but it's close. I want to see some of these teams/wrestlers create some distance from the rest of the pack. I am not opposed to drawing out the Page-Omega dissension but they need to lose the match. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That looks like a solid card.

And yeah, you've spent a lot of time building up SCU, especially Scorpio Sky.  It's too soon for them to drop the belts to the Bucks.

That Lucha Bros vs. Omega / Page match should be hot fire if Kenny doesn't goof off too much.

I think putting the titles on the Bucks gets the fans excited for what's coming after the New Year and ends the show  on a high. I was against them putting the belts on SCU in the first place so that's just a personal preference. 

What would be the exciting next step for the Bucks though?  They've worked the two big heel teams a lot in AEW so I'm not sure where they could go next that would be logical or interesting unless they pull a Jinder and elevate someone in a hurry.

1 hour ago, goodhelmet said:

This actually feels like the right time to introduce their first DQ.

If this involved the Butcher and the Blade getting juice from Darby and Cody (because well, after all, they are THE BUTCHER and THE BLADE) I would be... ahem... all in. 

It really is time to see if they are willing to push the envelope on TNT (read: I want blood, dammit)

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Goodear said:

What would be the exciting next step for the Bucks though?  They've worked the two big heel teams a lot in AEW so I'm not sure where they could go next that would be logical or interesting unless they pull a Jinder and elevate someone in a hurry.

They could give rematches to the SCU. I think if the Butcher and Blade start racking up wins, there is a program there. I wouldn't be opposed to a Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy mini-feud. 

32 minutes ago, Goodear said:

This seems too early?  Like I don't feel like Cody was in a spot of desperation enough to warrant this which feels like the blow off?  Butcher & The Blade almost feel like dead men walking to me after only 2 weeks and that's no good.

This.  I really disliked the booking the the B&B vs Cody & Marshall match, where the glorified jobber got so much offense and it looked like B&B might lose.  If Cody almost beat them with a job guy, what chance do they have against Cody and an upper-midcarder? 

Kenny & Page vs Lucha Bros?  Arcade wrestling spotfests are my jam.  Put that shit right in my veins.

Edited by Technico Support

The problem with making Britt a heel is that she's kinda just there even though she's working a dentist gimmick that practically screams heel.

Meanwhile, Emi Sakura is a fucking white hot heel with shit tons of showmanship. I'm not sure if I want to see the belt on Emi, but they could do worse and I think she'd be fine as an interim placeholder until Big Swole gets her shit together or when Kong finally decides she wants to be champ.

Hikaru Shida could also work heel even though I think she's trying to be something of a tweener.

Oh, and there is some girl there named Bea Priestly who might be good as a heel.  That's sarcasm.  Bea is fucking awesome.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Goodear said:

What would be the exciting next step for the Bucks though? 

Probably a brief program with the Lucha Bros until Angel / Ortiz clubber the living shit out of them and take the titles.  It's only a matter of time before there is more gold in the house of the Inner Circle.

Edited by J.T.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The problem with making Britt a heel is that she's kinda just there even though she's working a dentist gimmick that practically screams heel.

Meanwhile, Emi Sakura is a fucking white hot heel with shit tons of showmanship. I'm not sure if I want to see the belt on Emi, but they could do worse and I think she'd be fine as an interim placeholder until Big Swole gets her shit together or when Kong finally decides she wants to be champ.

Hikaru Shida could also work heel even though I think she's trying to be something of a tweener.

Oh, and there is some girl there named Bea Priestly who might be good as a heel.  That's sarcasm.  Bea is fucking awesome.

Britt's push is how you transition her to heel.  'Yeah, I'm a dentist.  Sorry I can hold two high paying jobs while you assholes can't get one.  Excuse me for working hard unlike your champion who no one has seen in two months.  Sorry I'm such a star that I got on television on another show just sitting in the crowd when you all wallow in obscurity.'  She'll actually get heat and not "Ho ho! I love MJF doing Roddy Piper lines, I hope he wins!"  I'm not saying she should be champ, I just think it would be a better fit for her than ... this.

I find your Sakura take to be outlandishly positive.  Emi Sakura is about as red hot as cup of soup left on the porch overnight.  Her gimmick doesn't translate to being a heel at all and is so WCW Saturday Night that it hurts me that Dusty can't call her matches.

I'm on board with Shida being heel champ.  Being a tweener is for losers who don't want to actually have to get a reaction from the crowd.

Oh, Emi is perfectly fine as the resident veteran asshole Japanese worker stuck in a country full of unwashed gaijin.  She laughs at our inferior pop culture.

It doesn't help that she has to work powder puff light against really green opponents.

Shida would be a magnificent heel champ.  I could probably watch her and Kong beat the living shit out of each other all day, but that would mean that Kong would have to work tween and I am not sure how I feel about that.

20 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Am I the only one that thinks a wrestling dentist is a really stupid gimmick?

Well, unlike Dr. Issac Yankem DDS at least she's an actual licensed dentist.

I think it is stupid because there are already a lot of dentist phobia out there. 

I would think that Britt as a licented dentist would want to encourage people to visit her and practice proper oral care.  Not feed into their fears by scaring the living shit out of them with images of broken teeth.

Edited by J.T.

41 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Baker has been having delayed flight's, not sure if she made it to the arena or not.   If not who would you want to replace her?  Who isn't in the UK or Japan now that could replace her?  Bunny? Penelope?  Kong?

The issue with Kong would be not wanting to have her or Kris lose. 

"Delayed flights"?

Okay, let her out of the basement, dude.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Unless they have plans for her, I'd be using Bunny exclusively as a manager right now. 

I do love seeing the 3 of them get screen time. I'd been a big Pepper Parks fan for years and the team with Andy works well for all involved.  Allie is a good third piece to the puzzle too.  Good call on this  WNBB

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Baker has been having delayed flight's, not sure if she made it to the arena or not.   If not who would you want to replace her?  Who isn't in the UK or Japan now that could replace her?  Bunny? Penelope?  Kong?

The issue with Kong would be not wanting to have her or Kris lose. 

The issue with Kong is that her back is fucked and she can't go.