DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2019 - WEEK SIXTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Today's installment of "Jesus Christ we're old" brought to you by Frank Gore and his son. . .who will start playing college football next year.

I don't even feel old because of this.  I'm pretty sure Frank Gore has been playing since I was in elementary school.  I'm 38 by the way.  

26 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't even feel old because of this.  I'm pretty sure Frank Gore has been playing since I was in elementary school.  I'm 38 by the way.  

I felt the same way and got super depressed to find out he's only 6 months older than me. 

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You guys remember way way way back when Frank Gore was allegedly fragile?

Willis MGahee and Clinton Portis both owe Frank Gore's knees a Christmas gift for the rest of their lives.  I don't know if you guys remember how good Willis McGahee was in college, but he only played because Gore was injured.  

Daniel Jones is back as Giants starter

So we will have the first official Daniel Jones vs. Dwayne Haskins game

(well I should say - where they both started. They obviously already faced each other this year)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Shut up. The Fords don't need any ideas. 

At least you could count on a season slightly above .500 followed by one slightly below. You never know, in one of those slight above .500 years they could make the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

At least you could count on a season slightly above .500 followed by one slightly below. You never know, in one of those slight above .500 years they could make the playoffs.

Ya know, right now that sounds pretty great. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I realize this whole thing is a sham but T.O. being left off the top 10 receiver list on the NFL 100 is an absolute fucking crime...   He's at worst 3rd.  He's way better than Fitz or .  

100% agreed.  T.O. was one of the few players who could win you a game by himself from the receiver position.  We all know why he's not included on lists like these, but I always wonder why that one dude I never heard of, who did that one thing I didn't hear about, is always on these lists.

• Like 1

From PFT's article about T.O. being omitted

Earning placement on the team were Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, Larry Fitzgerald, Marvin Harrison, Elroy Hirsch, Don Hutson, Steve Largent, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, and Paul Warfield. Judy Battista of NFL.com attempted to explain the most glaring omission from the NFL’s all-time team to date.

“Owens was elected to the Hall of Fame in his third year of eligibility, and part of the reason he did not get in on his first two tries was his behavior with teams during his career,” Battista writes, echoing an overblown concern that was used by people who simply dislike Owens to keep him out of Canton, temporarily. “Owens played for five teams over 15 seasons, and he clashed with front office personnel and teammates on several of them. It’s hard to say if that is why Owens did not make the all-time list — nobody on the panel said as much, and we do not know how each other voted — or if he ran into the same problem so many other stellar players at every position did: There were so many great candidates but so few spaces open.”

The fact that the panel voted secretly allowed Owens to fall victim to a more fundamental reality than not enough spots: Human nature.

A lot of people truly don’t like Terrell Owens as a person. He was rude at times. He was brash all the time. But, surely, he was one of the 10 best receivers in the history of the game.

Which guy would you want on your favorite team, Terrell Owens or Steve Largent? All due respect to Largent, do you even have to consider that for more than a nanosecond? (And, yes, I’m old enough to have seen Largent play.) Frankly, there are several other receivers (Isaac Bruce, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Steve Smith) who I’d take in their prime before Largent in his. (By the way, the “era” argument doesn’t really apply here; Largent’s career was almost entirely played after the NFL began opening up the rules to enhance passing and increase scoring.)

• Like 3

My thing with T.O. was that he was an asshole, but he was a completely harmless asshole.  People don't like him, but he worked his ass off, played his ass off, and never got into any real life trouble.  There's at least one murderer on the list (Remember, Ray Lewis is a blowhard, not a murderer), and a whole long list of dudes who have been in trouble with the law.  He's not one of them, he's just a raging dick.  I get wanting to keep him out for being an asshole, but that means O.J. can't be on the list.  Think about it like this, name someone who likes O.J...I"ll wait.  T.O. is just as good of a receiver as O.J. was a running back, and not liking him is not really an excuse to keep him off of this list.  

Also, any greatest receiver list without Antonio Brown and Cris Carter (I mean, all he does is catch touchdowns) is invalid as well.  

• Like 4

The weakest name on the WR list is Crazylegs Hirsch. Dude made it on nickname alone.

He led the lead in receptions, yards and TDs once, all in the same year. Granted that was a monster year: 66/1495/17 in 12 games, but every other year of his prime (50-54) he was usually 2nd on his own team in yards and receptions. The only other time he led the league in anything was YPC in 1952.

You've got Don Hutson from the 30/mid40s and Raymond Berry from the mid50s/60s. Was 1945-1955 such a distinct era that you needed Hirsch at the expense of guys like Owens? Even though Hutson put up almost a thousand more yards in one less year during a period with a lot less passing? I'd have just skipped that whole era. Going through the yearly stats, you seem to get a lot of guys that have a big couple years but then spend the rest of their career with 300-600 yard seasons, like Pete Pihos or Tom Fears. Clearly they picked Hirsch because he had the biggest of all those years. Which would be fine if this was a list of best seasons ever....

He ran really funny though and you got to honour that I guess.

Yeah, if you're including Ray Lewis and OJ, but leaving off TO because of personality, you're a hypocrite of the highest order. 

TO was a lot better than half the guys on that list, at least. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

So far, this Texans/Buccaneers game I have thrown on in the background has been an absolute affront to the game of football.

That entire game was two dudes standing at an open door. 

“Please, after you.”

”No no, I couldn’t, please you go.”

“I insist that you go.”

and then they try going at the same time and get stuck and finally Houston squeezed their ass out first. 

• Haha 5