DVDVR Message Board

SW:RISE OF SKYWALKER Discussion (All the Spoilers Here)

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Episode IX will be on Disney+ beginning May 4th. 

Yes, because of the virus, and because they're STILL trying to make that "May the 4th" hashtag be a thing. 

They tried to say that anyone who tweets using #Maythe4th automatically gives Disney copyright to use the tweet (and username and @) for marketing purposes. So hopefully everyone's going to use #MaytheFUCKING4th instead.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:47 PM, AxB said:

They tried to say that anyone who tweets using #Maythe4th automatically gives Disney copyright to use the tweet (and username and @) for marketing purposes. So hopefully everyone's going to use #MaytheFUCKING4th instead.

Is that how copyright law works?

On 1/23/2020 at 3:32 AM, BurningBeard said:

Only on the internet would an ancient Lovecraftian Sith never mentioned before with a penchant for Highlander-esque machinations be seen as a preferable option to the return OF THE VILLAIN OF THE WHOLE SAGA

The R2 memory bit at the end was a nice touch though

Neither are preferable to me.

My son was dying to watch this, so we did last night. 

What was the point of the slug dude in the Falcon at the beginning? He did nothing and only showed up again in a quick shot in the closing celebration. 

• Haha 1

I still liked it a lot, but it's easily the most confounding movie I've ever seen. There were so many times I thought, "what in the fuck is going on and why is this happening" or so many times I laughed at shit like the Macguffin dagger having a little thing that extends out to match an outline of the crashed Death Star. The movie would be dragging badly, then get fun an interesting, and then the fucking characters are sinking in space quicksand where they then fall through to the exact spot they needed to get to.

I still don't know if I can call it good or bad, but I at least enjoyed it. At the same time I know that this final movie could have been a million times better. Trevorrow's script isn't perfect, but I think you can take elements from it and combine it with a little bit from the JJ Abrams script and come up with a better movie.

• Like 3

The thing about the quicksand bit is, they fall through the quicksand into some caves. How? Wouldn't the quicksand fall into the caves, because gravity?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, AxB said:

The thing about the quicksand bit is, they fall through the quicksand into some caves. How? Wouldn't the quicksand fall into the caves, because gravity?

SPACE. MAGIC.

I believe the honest trailer really hit on one maddening point...god damn, how come no Jedi before Rey knew how to save people who were dying/near death?  That would have come in so helpful for Qui Gon, Anakin, etc!  Why it's almost like this shitpile was written on the fly by dudes just pulling stuff from their asses.

• Thanks 1

I watched the making of TROS documentary in the Extras on Disney+ and while they were going through I was thinking "Yeah, that was a good part. Oh yeah,  that part was cool. I liked that part" etc, despite otherwise not really liking the movie as a whole. Then I figured out that the movie is basically a big spot fest. Lots of neat little moments when thinking back or watching a scene out of context, but when put all together from beginning to end, it just doesn't gel and nothing really means anything. I think this movie was the most disappointing for me out of them all, even the prequels. I had high hopes for a big epic sendoff, but got a bunch of short "episodes" featuring the cast looking for one thing, then looking for another, then another, then a fight, then it's done. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

I watched the making of TROS documentary in the Extras on Disney+ and while they were going through I was thinking "Yeah, that was a good part. Oh yeah,  that part was cool. I liked that part" etc, despite otherwise not really liking the movie as a whole. Then I figured out that the movie is basically a big spot fest. Lots of neat little moments when thinking back or watching a scene out of context, but when put all together from beginning to end, it just doesn't gel and nothing really means anything. I think this movie was the most disappointing for me out of them all, even the prequels. I had high hopes for a big epic sendoff, but got a bunch of short "episodes" featuring the cast looking for one thing, then looking for another, then another, then a fight, then it's done. 

That makes Vader in Rogue One a Brock match.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

That makes Darth Vader in Rogue One a Big Van Vader squash match.

ftfy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 4:39 PM, MonteCarl said:

It's basically a badly written movie with some fun fan pleasing moments.

• Like 1