DVDVR Message Board

SW:RISE OF SKYWALKER Discussion (All the Spoilers Here)

RIPPA

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Even if he wasn't cool with it, what was he really going to do?   He had to spread the teaching so the wisdom wouldn't die with him, but he's only one person. 

There was no Jedi council there to enforce all of that dogma of the Order and Leia was not that woman to step to and be told what to do.

Force Ghost Mace Windu showed up scowling anytime he tried to get with Mara Jade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Force Ghost Mace Windu showed up scowling anytime he tried to get with Mara Jade.

He's just jealous that he wasn't able to hook up with anyone as fine as Mara when he was alive.

WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT~?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

*Now with 100% more correct thread posting*

Just saw it today, I really liked it, while acknowledging the issues with it. I’m a sucker for fan service, what can I say. 

I apologize if this has been brought up, but I’m not going back through 10 pages but did anyone else get really mad when Poe started flirting with that lady? You love Finn, don’t be looking at the sexy masked lady...

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AxB said:

So apparently Rise of Skywalker and Frozen 2 are in fact the exact same film.

No lie, I meant to say something about that on here and totally forgot. The first time I saw RoS I thought it reminded me a little too much of Frozen 2. My wife and daughter didn't see the connection though so I figured it was just me.

Usual caveat of this might not be true, but here's the supposed leak/breakdown of Trevorrow's script.

This is the movie I wish we got and I say this as someone who still liked RoS quite a bit.

Edited by Craig H

On 1/12/2020 at 6:49 AM, AxB said:

So apparently Rise of Skywalker and Frozen 2 are in fact the exact same film.

Does RoS have a magnificent parody of 80s movie power ballads in general and Peter Cetera's "Glory of Love" from THE KARATE KID PART II in specific? No?  Checkmate, critics.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:51 PM, Craig H said:

Usual caveat of this might not be true, but here's the supposed leak/breakdown of Trevorrow's script.

This is the movie I wish we got and I say this as someone who still liked RoS quite a bit.

The Tor Vallum stuff makes no sense and just doesn't work.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

The Tor Vallum stuff makes no sense and just doesn't work.

Here's more that makes more sense. I think it works fine. I have a couple problems that are mainly issues with how cheesy it sounds, but for the most part, I like all of this more than what JJ and Terrio gave us.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/eoyycc/rbm_talks_duel_of_the_fates_part_2_new_stream_new/

Here are my issues with Tor Valum. How could Palpatine have a master that's not only thousands of years old, but Palpatine never offed himself? Why would Valum even be willing to train Kylo Ren at this point? It's just odd to present like a darkside Yoda at the 11th hour.

Edited by TheVileOne

"In their version, Kelly Marie Tran’s Rose Tico is given a much larger role and spends a good portion of the film with Finn, C-3PO, and R2-D2 on a mission to light a beacon on Coruscant that will draw allies to assist the Resistance in their final battle against the First Order. "

Hey, let's have someone light the Beacons of Gondor, but IN SPACE.

• Haha 2

Rotten Tomatoes Star Wars ratings by release date:

A New Hope (1977), 93% Certified Fresh.

The Empire Strikes Back (1980), 94% Certified Fresh.

Return of the Jedi (1983), 82% Certified Fresh.

The Phantom Menace (1999), 53% Rotten.

Attack of the Clones (2002), 65% Fresh.

Revenge of the Sith (2005), 80% Certified Fresh.

The Clone Wars (2008), 18% Rotten.

The Clone Wars (2008-2019), 94% Certified Fresh.

Rebels (2014-2018), 100% Fresh.

The Force Awakens (2015). 93% Certified Fresh.

Rogue One (2016), 83% Certified Fresh.

The Last Jedi (2017), 91% Certified Fresh.

Resistance (2018-), 92% Certified Fresh.

The Mandalorian (2019), 95% Fresh

Rise of Skywalker (2019), 52% Rotten.

Only on the internet would an ancient Lovecraftian Sith never mentioned before with a penchant for Highlander-esque machinations be seen as a preferable option to the return OF THE VILLAIN OF THE WHOLE SAGA

The R2 memory bit at the end was a nice touch though

Edited by BurningBeard

• 1 month later...

I cared so little about this movie that I had a chance to pay to see it and didn't.  I just watched it on a plane for free and still feel like I spent too much.  God damn.  It felt like a bad video game with one fetch quest after another.  "Oh no, this thing you were looking for is missing/is not right/is broken/whatever, you need to go find this other thing.  Our princess is in another castle.  Holy fucking fuck. 

1. We need to find the wayfinder
  2. But for that we need the dagger
  3. We have the dagger but can't read it
  4. Let's go someplace to find the guy that can make C3PO read it
  5. But first let's go get the dagger back, it was stolen, even though we technically don't need it anymore
  6. Now we have it, let's go see that alien midget
  7. Now let's read it
  8. Now lets go get the Wayfinder
  9. Oh noes astral projecting Kylo Ren broke the Wayfinder
  10. It's okay I took his ship on a whim and holy fuck the one he had is still in there

Oh fuck this movie.  Who the hell said it felt like two films they smushed into one?  That is bull fucking shit my friends.  This is 20 minutes of plot with a 90 minute fetch quest.

And there are literally no stakes.  Chewie dies!  No, he doesn't!  3PO sacrifices his memory!  No, he doesn't!  Anything that felt real and had no take backsies got taken back seconds later. 

Leia sacrifices herself to pull a Mr. Fuji distraction spot.

Alien criminals, led by Lady Daft Punk, are all set to turn the rebels over for a profit.  Rey kicks some ass, and they they're all, "okay, never mind then, I like you."  Oh god oh god fuck this.

So much garbage!  In the previous movie, Rey and Kylo could use the Force to have remote conversations (a friend of mine called it "SpaceTime" and I love that.  I just called it Intergalactic Skype).  NOW they have mother fucking remote FIGHTS and Ren can literally grab shit.  What the ever loving fuck.

This movie was hot garbage.  And please remember that those space horses, who had that cool reveal, quite obviously died.  No way to evacuate intergalactic Clydesdales that quickly.

Oh and there's this story about a planet of Sith that presumably a lot of people know about -- BUT HAS NEVER BEEN MENTIONED IN THE SERIES --  but nobody outside of Luke has ever considered trying to find it and maybe blow that fucker up.  This movie had more ass-pulls than an evening with Richard Gere.

Wow.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Guest The Magnificent 7

Entire planets have been blown up in this saga and I’m supposed to give a fuck about space Mr. Ed?  

Maybe because I didn't like this movie very much, but this movie came and went so fast.  A summer breeze in December.  Disney was milking the Avengers Endgame for all its worth even after the release, but this one...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Transferring matter using the Force does kind of bother me. 

If Force healing basically kills you...if Force projection can kill you...wouldn't transferring an actual object through the Force be enough to kill you? But whatever, space magic.

Edited by TheVileOne

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Transferring matter using the Force does kind of bother me. 

If Force healing basically kills you...if Force projection can kill you...wouldn't transferring an actual object through the Force be enough to kill you? But whatever, space magic.

You just thought about this WAAAAAAAY more than Abrams did.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2