DVDVR Message Board

SW:RISE OF SKYWALKER Discussion (All the Spoilers Here)

RIPPA

@Beech27

It's a bit of a blur, but isn't Anakin's message to Rey to bring balance to the force, just like he did? That's sort of making it seem to the movie like him wiping out the Jedi Order was a natural and good thing, no?

I will say that I thought the place TLJ was heading was that there needed to be a "grey order," but I didn't really see a way the movie could get there given what Kylo thought. Obviously they went deeply in a different direction.

33 minutes ago, Matt D said:

@Beech27

It's a bit of a blur, but isn't Anakin's message to Rey to bring balance to the force, just like he did? That's sort of making it seem to the movie like him wiping out the Jedi Order was a natural and good thing, no?

I think that’s a perfectly valid reading, and one I like; but I don’t suspect it’s what the movie meant, or what future movies will depict. I suspect it just meant “kill Palpatine like I did”. TLJ’s visual dictionary explains Snoke this way: "Snoke is powerful in the dark side of the Force, but he is no Sith. That thousand-year lineage stretching from Darth Bane to the last Sith Lord, Darth Vader, was undone when Vader died destroying his mentor, Darth Sidious. The fulfillment of an ancient prophecy foretold the end of the Sith, but it never predicted the end of darkness."

So if that’s still true—and who knows, now that Snoke is a Sith puppet—then killing the last(?) Sith Lord is restoring the balance Anakin briefly created. (Although did he really, if Snoke and then Kylo were so quickly ascendant?)

I do like Rey using the force lightning—though I’m choosing to believe she can just do it because, not due to a specific grandpa—because I’d like to see light/dark power dichotomy broken down a bit. The force is the force; people are good or evil as they choose to act. 

I shared the original trilogy with my dad, growing up.

I was able to share this new trilogy with both my dad and my daughter, as of this afternoon.

I liked it.

No one wanted to tell me about how bad my daughter might would want a Babu Frik toy now, though?  You assholes left me to hang.

Edited by nate
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I do like Rey using the force lightning—though I’m choosing to believe she can just do it because, not due to a specific grandpa—because I’d like to see light/dark power dichotomy broken down a bit. The force is the force; people are good or evil as they choose to act. 

That last part is something I dug, because it is very similar to how Kyle Katarn was portrayed. He always believed that no powers were inherently "good" or "evil", but rather the usage of them.  He dabbled in many of the Dark Side abilities, so it's cool that Rey could possibly do the same.

19 hours ago, Matt D said:

Honestly, I think there are more threads picked up from TLJ than dropped. Various thoughts:

Kylo Ren: I think he spends most of the movie pissed off about Palpatine.

Who.. mind you is never mentioned in the previous two movies,  never hinted at,  appears out of nowhere in the opening and nobody on screen seems even remotely surprised in the first few minutes of the film.  Then it's never explain how he came back.  THEN Leia says to Rey "Well,  me and Luke always knew.."  

WHAT? You mean the same Luke that was concerned about training Kylo because of his dark lineage and for a second thought about striking him down had no qualms about training the granddaughter of the galaxy's most feared menace?

Box office related:  It's touch and go whether this will reach one billion worldwide. I think it will cross slightly but with how much the production costs are and marketing,  it's nowhere what Disney expects from this franchise.   TFA was a shade over $2 billion.  TLJ was around $1.3 billion.  TROS being ~$1 billion isn't what they want. 

46 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Who.. mind you is never mentioned in the previous two movies,  never hinted at,  appears out of nowhere in the opening and nobody on screen seems even remotely surprised in the first few minutes of the film.  Then it's never explain how he came back.  THEN Leia says to Rey "Well,  me and Luke always knew.."  

WHAT? You mean the same Luke that was concerned about training Kylo because of his dark lineage and for a second thought about striking him down had no qualms about training the granddaughter of the galaxy's most feared menace?

My head canon is that he stayed in hiding til Luke dies.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What do you mean "no qualms"? He spent most of TLJ refusing to train her, and barely taught her anything when he relented.

1 hour ago, mystman said:

What do you mean "no qualms"? He spent most of TLJ refusing to train her, and barely taught her anything when he relented.

What do you mean by barely taught her? He offered three training sessions and I find it interesting that they are all alone on that island and not once did he say "you're Palp's granddaughter"  in fact he said these exact words. 

"Who are you?"

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What do you mean by barely taught her? He offered three training sessions and I find it interesting that they are all alone on that island and not once did he say "you're Palp's granddaughter"  in fact he said these exact words. 

"Who are you?"

I imagine it was the same reason as to why Obi Wan never told Luke about his parentage. Considering how powerful she is, who knows what would've happened if she learned something that shattering.

I will grant,though, that it's left vague how extensive the lessons Luke gave were. Maybe they were supposed to be more extensive than I pictured.

• Like 1

I don't know about all of you guys (well, I do) but I had no problems with this movie. I'm not a super Star Wars fan so it was just a good movie to me. Actually makes me sad because I really like all the "main" characters and I want to see more of them.

Give me a Zorii & Babu Frik series on Disney+ right now.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Somebody needs to come get Chris Terrio.

Somehow he has an Academy Award for Best Screenplay. 

Well now looking at the list,   2012 didn't have many standouts.  Zero Dark ThirtyDjango Unchained and Flight were all in the Original Screenplay category.  I probably would have Silver Linings Playbook over Argo

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Somehow he has an Academy Award for Best Screenplay. 

Well now looking at the list,   2012 didn't have many standouts.  Zero Dark ThirtyDjango Unchained and Flight were all in the Original Screenplay category.  I probably would have Silver Linings Playbook over Argo

Never forget that Akiva Goldsman, the writer of Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Lost in Space, and I, Robot, has a goddamned adapted screenplay Oscar because the Oscars are nonsense.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:25 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

The dagger bit makes no sense at all.  The folks at Binge mode explained how stupid it is far better than I could and they are people who desperately want these movies to be good. 

How does the dagger know the location of the wayfinder based on Death Star's wreckage? Like why would you design a map that way?

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Never forget that Akiva Goldsman, the writer of Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Lost in Space, and I, Robot, has a goddamned adapted screenplay Oscar because the Oscars are nonsense.

Winter's Tale is worse than all of those films, and he directed that one too.

On 12/28/2019 at 2:50 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

"Who are you?"

Taught her only two lessons. The third lesson was shot but cut from the film. Who are you would suggest he has no idea who she is and doesn't know she's Palpatine's granddaughter. So I find it hard to believe Rian Johnson knew and understood that idea and ran with it as part of his story. 

35 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Winter's Tale is worse than all of those films, and he directed that one too.

I appreciate his commitment to only making absolutely dogshit movies.

Speaking of dogshit movies, I did not enjoy Rise of the Skywalker very much.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You don't have to be a big Star Wars fan to see that stuff like the dagger bit is just nonsense.  She happens to be standing exactly where one is needed to stand? They just decided to keep it there in the throne room?  Not to mention never explaining the main plot point.  

apparently I do because I put no thought into those points you mentioned. Even when I'm thinking about it right now, I'm hard pressed to care because it's Star Wars and this shit is silly enough to begin with.

• Like 1