DVDVR Message Board

SW:RISE OF SKYWALKER Discussion (All the Spoilers Here)

RIPPA

It's a day later and I'm still dumbfounded as to why they would bring up what Finn wanted to tell Rey two to three times in the movie...and then never go back to that. Why even set that up? Who wrote this shit?

Oh. Chris Terrio. Who wrote BvS and Justice League. Jesus.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh. Chris Terrio. Who wrote BvS and Justice League. Jesus.

This realization hit me as I watched Ben Solo have a weird conversation with the memory of his father, just like Superman in BvS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 8:28 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Doesn't sound like it. We may have something that can unify people and get shit on by both sides.

Maybe, but probably not.

I was curious and took a look at the rotten tomatoes critics and audience scores for The Last Jedi versus The Rise of Skywalker.  It's earlier for Rise of Skywalker, but:

TLJ.png

TROS.png

Almost polar opposite critic and audience scores.  Obviously caveats: rotten tomato is not the end all be all of how a film is perceived, of course, and it's quite early to conclude a stable overall audience viewpoint of Rise of Skywalker, but between some of the posts in this thread and other early reviews, I'm not sure about unity with this one either.

Edited by _MJ_

ROS has a B+ on CinemaScore, while TFA and TLJ had A’s. It’s probably going to make a little less money than either, but still plenty. Reddit and YouTube are furious, but they were always going to be. I’m not sure who we’re talking about anymore when we talk about fans, or core fans, or “real” fans, or old fans, etc. It feels weird that people who hate a thing the most get to be the most visible fans, though; but then, I don’t want to insist a Disney property needs any defending at all. It seems like Star Wars is still omnipresent, people still love it, and want more of it. (Unless it’s Solo, I guess.) I’m not sure if there’s a lesson here beyond that there’s a lot of world outside the internet, and most people aren’t really very online at all. 

Anyway, I saw the movie, and didn’t really like it. Not so much that it made creative choices I didn’t want—I didn’t want elves at Helm’s Deep, and it’s still a perfect sequence—as it didn’t confidently and coherently make those choices work. 

Good to know I was right about JJ. 

My general thoughts are ambivalence.   The goods were neat, the bad was fucking terrible standard issue JJ shit, but my expectations were so damn low that I cant be arsed to get worked up about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean, I still like Star Wars. I just don't like JJ Abrams version of Star Wars. Like all things Star Wars, stuff not explained in the movie is elsewhere. In the books, the comics (if Palpatine was the one who "helped" Shmi Skywalker conceive Anakin then Reylo still has some incest going on), the visual dictionary which is where we now "know" all those people in robes are the Sith Eternal (not Sith, just Sith groupies). It's like how you had to watch Being the Elite at the time of All-In/early AEW.

I like all that stuff, even if I don't want to spend too much money on it.

Even with the mixed reception, I still fancied a $200 million dollar opening weekend as its Star Wars and billed as the end of the Skywalker Saga. Can't see it having good legs like Joker as an example. Will it even make a billion? 

Edited by The Natural

I enjoyed it, I think people are unfairly maligning JJ Abrams when they should be having a go at Rian Jordan. I liked TLJ FWIW but it's so obvious JJ literally had to pick up the pieces of the aftermath of that film craft something worthwhile and rewarding out of it which meant a ton of cramming and pacing issues... but how else could you have made this film?

• Like 3

On 12/21/2019 at 8:56 PM, Craig H said:

This movie. This fucking movie. I loved TFA. I loved TLJ. This was a movie I somehow both really liked and was really annoyed by at the same time. It's one of the most confounding movies I can recall seeing because of how over the place it is. The times where it's really focused it's great, but then you get a bunch of random ass cuts and scenes and my head was spinning. My friend described it as a mad libs movie and I think that's exactly right. There's more to get into, but that's the gist of it: Nearly loved it and was really annoyed by it simultaneously.

AND ARE WE REALLY ENDING THIS FUCKING MOVIE WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT FINN WANTED TO TELL REY? ROSE IS GONNA HUG CHEWIE, BUT NOT FINN?! THE FUCK???!?

This is a top tier comment and callback that isn't getting nearly enough love. Come on y'all. Put some respect on this comment AND AxB's forearms.

My understanding is Finn's secret was that he's Force sensitive.

12 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

Maybe, but probably not.

I was curious and took a look at the rotten tomatoes critics and audience scores for The Last Jedi versus The Rise of Skywalker.  It's earlier for Rise of Skywalker, but:

TLJ.png

TROS.png

Almost polar opposite critic and audience scores.  Obviously caveats: rotten tomato is not the end all be all of how a film is perceived, of course, and it's quite early to conclude a stable overall audience viewpoint of Rise of Skywalker, but between some of the posts in this thread and other early reviews, I'm not sure about unity with this one either.

I see this picture getting thrown around a lot but look at the scores you have 215,513 "user ratings" vs. 30,308 "verified ratings." Are either sampling size even reliable?

13 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

I enjoyed it, I think people are unfairly maligning JJ Abrams when they should be having a go at Rian Jordan. I liked TLJ FWIW but it's so obvious JJ literally had to pick up the pieces of the aftermath of that film craft something worthwhile and rewarding out of it which meant a ton of cramming and pacing issues... but how else could you have made this film?

Honestly, its the fault of both and Lucasfilms/Disney. The way JJ did TFA set up issues Johnson had to fix with TLJ. The way Johnson ended TLJ didn't create any set up for a finale and instead left room for another 2-3 films. Lucasfilms/Disney should have had some overarching story planned out to some degree from the beginning. No one is innocent here as far as the filmmakers go.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I see this picture getting thrown around a lot but look at the scores you have 215,513 "user ratings" vs. 30,308 "verified ratings." Are either sampling size even reliable?

Yeah, it's one of caveats (RT isnt the most reliable). I think the TROS audience score will go down because the people most jazz about seeing it are saw it the first and likely the most willing to let people know how they felt. Still, it'll probably be higher than TLJ. 

I didnt know it was making the internet rounds already. We all want to form a narrative and/or make a hot take ASAP these days. Heh.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 1

Oscar Isaac realizing he can't be fired now and apparently not keen on big franchise pictures going forward, insisting that Finn and Poe were in love, that it should have been depicted, only Disney "overlords" wouldn't go there, is my favorite petty thing at the moment. 

A thing I don't much like is the relative certainty that Ben's hand being on Rey's stomach when he gives his life force to her at least suggests he could have created a new life in the process (grandpa was a force baby), and the Skywalker saga isn't done. It's Schrodinger's Gun, both fired and not, until the relevant sequel is commissioned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

A thing I don't much like is the relative certainty that Ben's hand being on Rey's stomach when he gives his life force to her at least suggests he could have created a new life in the process (grandpa was a force baby), and the Skywalker saga isn't done. It's Schrodinger's Gun, both fired and not, until the relevant sequel is commissioned. 

Oh please no.  Not another Palpatine Skywalker Saga.

I saw it this afternoon, and maybe because my expectations were in the basement, I ended up really liking it. It had a ton of issues, but the stuff I liked outweighed the stuff I didn't like. Great usage of Threepio in the first half, and you can't tell me that Billy Dee Williams wasn't have the fucking time of his life.  Shit, I even liked the Rey/Palpatine swerve. I choked up a couple of times with Chewie, and I don't give AF how "fan servicy" it was, I LOVED him getting the medal at the end.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

I saw it this afternoon, and maybe because my expectations were in the basement, I ended up really liking it. It had a ton of issues, but the stuff I liked outweighed the stuff I didn't like. Great usage of Threepio in the first half, and you can't tell me that Billy Dee Williams wasn't have the fucking time of his life.  Shit, I even liked the Rey/Palpatine swerve. I choked up a couple of times with Chewie, and I don't give AF how "fan servicy" it was, I LOVED him getting the medal at the end.

The fan service parts were by far my favorite parts.  My frustation with every movie outside of the original trilogy is that there is a story to be told here, they just aren't telling it.  I honestly just don't know how we can't get the right people in the right places to get things like this right.  Clone Wars, dope.  Rebels, damn good.  The Mandalorian, love it.  The movies, fair to middling.  The built an entire universe full of story telling possibilities, and instead of exploring the galaxy they focus on one stupid family.  

• Like 3

I watched The Last Jedi again in preparation for Rise of Skywalker.  I didn't love The Last Jedi on first watch but going back through it,  it was interesting enough and through all the subverting of expectations there is a really great story being told there..   

Fast-forward to today.  I didn't really know what to expect from J.J. out of this because clearly none of this was mapped out ahead of time which I'm still shocked that they wouldn't want to do that.. at least have the outlines of a trilogy laid out before filming of The Force Awakens begins...  

but anyway we watched Rise of Skywalker today and I'm lost,  I don't understand most of what is going on.  It's not even that they did a bunch of retcons of Rian Johnson's work,  they just threw a bunch of shit at the wall from all of the movies...   

Five minutes into the movie and they are trying to explain that Palp is back out of nowhere and he has been pulling the string all along and nowhere in this do they really attempt to explain how the man survived basically a nuclear explosion

It just got worse from there..   not feeling it at all really. 

Oh god and the chewie stuff 

Rey and Kylo are clearly fighting over control of a ship that Chewie is on.  It blows up from Rey mistakenly using force lightning. That would have been a nice moment,  I was interested to see where they'd go from there with her killing one of her best friends by misusing her powers,  THAT would have interesting.. but no..

Must have been another transport?   Such horseshit writing. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

they just threw a bunch of shit at the wall from all of the movies...   

They threw a whole bunch of stuff at the wall to see what would stick, yes. But right before they did that, they gave the wall a nice fresh coat of paint really strong glue.