DVDVR Message Board

Raw is a Main Event In Any Arena - 12/16/2019

Dolfan in NYC

She meant the exact opposite of what you're implying though...

When she said no one cares, she meant people aren't going to get butthurt if you bash WWE.

And to suggest they're aren't AEW/NJPW/et al fans who get salty when somebody has something negative to say... c'mon. Every fandom has those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only time Lashley really got over was in an environment that wasn't as rigidly produced and could just cut loose. Most people would thrive in those conditions, but Lashley especially seems to get in his own head sometimes in WWE.

One of the few bright spots in TNA a couple years ago was Bobby Lashley. He hit his stride, was having really good matches. Everything the WWE wants him to be as this amazingly gifted freak of nature...he did back then. But for some reason the WWE doesn't believe Lashley can be any of that so they give him the goofy gimmicks, the manager, the cuckholding storyline. I mean if Lana had a stable and it was Rusev and Lashley as this team who just demolished people we all would be raving about the Viking Raiders vs. Rusev/Lashley wars.

Oh yeah sure, it's getting ratings and youtube views. But so do car crash compilations and disaster footage. Just because people are watching it does not mean it's a good thing. If anything some people are tuning in just to see if it could get any worse and last night it got worse. All of this is building to a wedding and we've seen enough soap weddings and WWE weddings to know what's going to happen.

Lana gets thrown through the cake. 

The rest of the show seemed like it was on auto pilot. A long tag match between The Raiders and OC. Then that gauntlet match. I turned the show off before that finished. I'm upset they hot shotted Deanna Perazzo up to RAW with no build up what so ever. But hey, at least they're gonna get a second chance at Emmalina with Liv Morgan (which sucks because she deserves so much better). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's not what I meant and you know that.

Nobody told @Goodear "no one cares if you don't like AEW". Nobody told me the same thing about MLW or ROH when I say those promotions suck.

I was ignoring what you really meant because it's demonstrably false. I've absolutely been told nobody cares when I make even the lightest cracks about AEW. There are some touchy folks who watch both major feds. Regardless of what Goodear specifically was told , there's still a bit of "If you don't like it, don't watch or comment" sentiment in that part of the board. It's not widespread, but let's not pretend it's not there. If you'd like specific examples, I'd be happy to name names. Of course that runs the risk of getting this closed even faster than it's on pace to, so maybe we shouldn't. 

As for smaller feds, I don't think your inability to find people to aggressively stick up for current-day ROH is representative of anything other than how far they've fallen. Back in their prime, they generated some quality slapfights. How the mighty have fallen. 

Maybe this is less about the WWE fandom at large (or any other fandom) than there just being lots of salty people in general. The person you're responding to jumped into the conversation and spent their first two posts complaining about not being allowed to offer their opinion while at no point in those two posts offering their opinion. Sounds like a problem specific to that one person here, rather than one group of fandom being more prone to it than others. 

• Thanks 1

Given that most of the @MORELOCK stuff in the AEW thread happened while I was at work last week, and I didn't participate, I didn't see people telling him to basically stop watching. But going back and looking at the thread... yeah, that definitely happened. It shouldn't be that way, because even criticisms should be welcomed (and his and @Goodear's complaints are totally valid when it comes to AEW). Off the top of my head I can't remember you ever being told that, @West Newbury Bad Boy, but seeing it being done to one member in the past week leads me to believe that it's probably happened. I was just basing what I said off my personal experiences obviously, but I really only complain about two promotions, and one of them has nothing to do with the in-ring product and the slapfights I do have about ROH stem from their treatment of the women's division and disagreeing with 2-3 people about that.

Completely agree on the last part, though, couldn't have said it better. You vocalized it in a way I was trying to but completely bungled, apparently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Just complain in the AEW thread to make it fair.

I have some things to say about AEW, but I'm sure some would track me down and cut off my hands for typing anything negative.

I thought telling Niko not to edit himself for what he feels was self-explanatory. But to clarify: all of us can like or dislike whatever we want. And we can say as much. But again, if this is supposed to be a board about encouraging at least some dialogue, then all reasonable opinions should be welcomed. Asking who would watch such garbage and pretty much brushing off those people as assholes says a lot and nothing good.

As for @West Newbury Bad Boy's point: there have been plenty of times I've offered opinions, only to be met with condescending responses. To be called a sheep because I dared to say something that wasn't vehemently anti-WWE. I like WWE overall, but that doesn't mean they're above criticism. I've criticized them plenty of times.

What I don't appreciate is when someone carries the anti-WWE sentiment over to WWE fans. We aren't an enemy, looking to steal anyone's wrestling joy. We like to talk about what we watch, just like everyone else. Wouldn't be here if we didn't. But I don't like being considered a lesser-than because I watch WWE regularly. That's gatekeeping, and my background doesn't accept that on any level for anything.

I wish I could better ignore certain things, but it's not in my nature. Never has been.

Praising and/or defending just about anything WWE does/has done can really be an uphill battle here. I tend to agree with like 85% of the issues people have with WWE programming, but there are still people that will call me a contrarian troll or disingenuous for not being on board with the other 15%. I can certainly see why sharing a positive opinion would seem daunting.

• Like 1

Moving along!

Following WWE's YT trends is amazing to see how they correspond with what the hardcore fans say. For example, the arm-wrestling match between Strowman and Lashley was mocked. It currently has 36 million YT views on WWE's channel. 

Maybe it's indicative of our micro society. Everything has to be quick and easy to explain. So if someone sees a thumbnail of some wacky wrestling segment, they click and in 3-5 minutes, know the story. I understand wanting to see great matches that mean something in the overall scheme. I want that, too. But we're deep in the wrestling bubble. For others who aren't as invested, a crazy fake Russian leaving her husband for a guy who looks like the lead in Blacked's new video is entertaining. It's easier to understand if just passing by. 

YT views don't often translate to ratings increases because a lot of the people who are watching stuff on YT are doing so because they don't watch the programs or as I said previously many of these views are coming from outside of the U.S. like India. Dave and others have explored this in the past.

I'd also think the Lana/Rusev stuff might be appealing to a percentage of nontraditional wwe fans, like the people that watch(ed) Total Divas. I can see people who watched them on that show being interested in this soap opera style storyline. 

Edited by odessasteps

Based entirely on watching the WWE Top 10 thing on Youtube and nothing else, nothing on the show seemed over except the Lana deal. Sometimes you have to admit when stupid stuff works and people seem more invested in all three people in the angle now than they did previously. Lashley is probably the one who needed the heat the most because he's struggled with that his whole WWE run and Lana's given some of her best performances as New Vicky Guerrero.  Some of the lines in the proposal were great heat seeking like 'No one tells me what to do... but you', 'Asking you to ask me', 'just like we practiced' 'greatest woman wrestler in history (or something)'.

13 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I thought telling Niko not to edit himself for what he feels was self-explanatory. But to clarify: all of us can like or dislike whatever we want. And we can say as much. But again, if this is supposed to be a board about encouraging at least some dialogue, then all reasonable opinions should be welcomed. Asking who would watch such garbage and pretty much brushing off those people as assholes says a lot and nothing good.

I had to double check my post but while I agree to asking who would watch this stuff I didn't brush them off as being assholes.  If that's what you got out of it then that wasn't my intent at all.

At this point it's not worth me posting in the Raw thread anymore.  I have my issues with WWE but there's many things I like about them which I'm happy to point out (and have done).  I try to not be negative when posting though again I was being a wise-ass in my post.  But I hate that it started all this and it makes me think twice before giving my opinion in here again.  Considering I'm not super keen on expressing myself in real life (something for maybe a different board section) this board is one where I actually feel kind of okay with giving my opinions on things.  But if stuff like this is going to happen then I may be best just lurking for a bit.  And please put me on ignore as I'm just not worth it.  Have a good day.

40 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I had to double check my post but while I agree to asking who would watch this stuff I didn't brush them off as being assholes.  If that's what you got out of it then that wasn't my intent at all.

At this point it's not worth me posting in the Raw thread anymore.  I have my issues with WWE but there's many things I like about them which I'm happy to point out (and have done).  I try to not be negative when posting though again I was being a wise-ass in my post.  But I hate that it started all this and it makes me think twice before giving my opinion in here again.  Considering I'm not super keen on expressing myself in real life (something for maybe a different board section) this board is one where I actually feel kind of okay with giving my opinions on things.  But if stuff like this is going to happen then I may be best just lurking for a bit.  And please put me on ignore as I'm just not worth it.  Have a good day.

The post Burgundy was referencing wasn't yours. It was this one:

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

There sure are a lot of assholes on YouTube, aren't there?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The post Burgundy was referencing wasn't yours. It was this one:

I see.  Without referencing the other post I thought that was all about what I posted.  I guess it was hard to tell with me getting my in own head about all this.  Thanks.  But I think it's still best to hold off on posting for a bit in the WWE threads and maybe the board in general.  December's not the best month for me.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I apologize for the confusion.  J.T. quoted your post and I combined them as a result.

What I was saying is when you or anyone else ask dismissive questions (or, in J.T.'s case, use the asshole label), it cuts off any real chance for conversation. Because why would I or anyone in my position want to talk when we've been looked down upon before even talking? All because we watch a certain kind of carny-ism they don't enjoy. 

I have been called anti-White, racist, mentally unhealthy, and a man-hater on this board. Had a number of sexual comments implied and coyly said toward me. It's why I bang the drum so much about it. It's admittedly a sore spot, but I think I have good reason for it. That's not joking between mutuals or even a misunderstanding. Those are personal attacks with no merit because I point out what I feel are gatekeepers being dismissive toward anyone who doesn't share their opinions.

It's why I talk about it often. Because it's unfair for anyone to feel they can't express themselves without being verbally abused by those who claim that we're all friends here.

31 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I apologize for the confusion.  J.T. quoted your post and I combined them as a result.

What I was saying is when you or anyone else ask dismissive questions (or, in J.T.'s case, use the asshole label), it cuts off any real chance for conversation. Because why would I or anyone in my position want to talk when we've been looked down upon before even talking? All because we watch a certain kind of carny-ism they don't enjoy. 

I have been called anti-White, racist, mentally unhealthy, and a man-hater on this board. Had a number of sexual comments implied and coyly said toward me. It's why I bang the drum so much about it. It's admittedly a sore spot, but I think I have good reason for it. That's not joking between mutuals or even a misunderstanding. Those are personal attacks with no merit because I point out what I feel are gatekeepers being dismissive toward anyone who doesn't share their opinions.

It's why I talk about it often. Because it's unfair for anyone to feel they can't express themselves without being verbally abused by those who claim that we're all friends here.

I appreciate the response.  I am sorry for the stuff you have gone through but I'm just trying to have a peaceful co-existence on here and in my life.  Life is too short and with recent and pending life changes it's not worth it for me to get into it with anybody.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2