DVDVR Message Board

Raw is a Main Event In Any Arena - 12/16/2019

Dolfan in NYC

If RAW was a three hour marathon match between Deonna Purrazzo and Asuka, I'd be okay with that. I'm a huge mark for Deonna.

Otherwise I spent the majority of the show eating dinner or watching a Highspots Q&A from 2017 with The Elite.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Lana/Russev/Lashley angle is going to keep going until they have a wedding at a PPV and Russev crashes it. The only way to salvage what a shit show this has been is if Russev whips out a cobra during the wedding scene.

That would probably involve Santino.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Show was going nowhere fast until Deonna Purrazzo showed up, that was a great surprise. Thought she looked amazing, having not seen her since the last MYC, excellent in the ring and look wise loved her gear here. Nice little match vs. Asuka for sure. Then Orton/Styles was pretty awesome, top notch selling from Orton and we even got a bit of an overrun back. Felt like this could've/should've been on PPV. Only the Vikings got made to look rather weak in the end.

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

God it was horrible. She and him were the only thing I had the sound on for, the rest was spent down a Sopranos Youtube rabbit hole. I picked the worst spot. 

How long was that gauntlet match, 45 minutes worth of air time? 

A little over 45 yeah. Tozawa and Matt coming off back to back 2 minute squash losses are in title contention. Colossal waste of time just to have Seth walk in and claim a title shot.

20 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Lana/Russev/Lashley angle is going to keep going until they have a wedding at a PPV and Russev crashes it. The only way to salvage what a shit show this has been is if Russev whips out a cobra during the wedding scene.

Santino.jpg

Reading some spoilers for next week's RAW makes me think a certain "unofficially official" NXT stable is coming to RAW.

Spoiler

Chelsea Green debuts next week against Charlotte. That only leaves Rachael Ellering.

You can tell times have changed. If this were anywhere from '97-Women's Revolution era, Heyman or Vince would've booked Lashley to not just turn down Lana for real but he'd have hit her with a lariat or something. At least the breakup of Andrade and Zelina is on pause for now, right? 

I forgot that I turned the audio back on for the end of Asuka/Purrazzo and that crowd was Dead. Silent. 

They were dead silent for the 50 min Gauntlet match as well except for maybe a couple of spots. Turns out MY DVR of the show ended before Styles vs. Orton finished which I am fine with. 

Liv in that promo looked a lot like Dana Brooke in several shots. Becky's promo and Deonna vs. Asuka were the highlights of the show. 

Hmm...I actually enjoyed this show

-Vikings-BC was solid.  There are little things that Vikings do so well that should be once in a while things but because of WWE's insistence on signature spots seem a little less special every time they do it (The cartwheel, the dives, the handspring back elbow).  It's weird that WWE hasn't figured out, after all these years, that if guys save the big moves for big matches, it makes them seem more special.  Zayn's dive through the ringpost-area in NXT was special because he only busted it out when he needed to beat a top contender.  Once he does it every week against every opponent, it ceases to be spectacular.

-Gauntlet match was pretty good.  The competitors made no sense (Matt Hardy fresh off his 2 straight losses since his return! Tozawa hasn't won a match since he came back, I don't think! Truth is a running joke!) but every one of them can wrestle and the match was pretty damn entertaining.  Andrade's Hammerlock on the cement was NASTY.

--Samoa Joe is incredible on commentary.  I'm not sure I want him to come back to wrestling, honestly, because he can probably have a longer run and be healthier just doing this.  His description of AOP being guys who have been banned or kicked out of gyms for bad behaviour, including keeping holds on a little too long was so much better in establishing them then weeks of subtitled sit-down interviews.  Then he talked about how he hurts people to win, but they do it because they enjoy it.  He's head-and-shoulders above any colour commentator in WWE or NXT.  I'd love to have him commentate for months, work himself into shape, then, one week step into the ring to stop a heel's reign of terror, the pop would be ENORMOUS.

-The Lana-Lashley stuff is AWFUL (I'm pretty sure, at one point tonight, Lana forgot what she was doing and did the exact same spiel all over again) and running it for 12ish (I think that was what I timed it at) is just daring people to change the channel/leave the arena.  But, as much as it pains me to say it, I think the booking IS working, as Rusev seems like he's more over than he has been in a while.  I was thinking how funny it was tonight that Impact just made Lashley a big guy who is cocky and can beat everyone and it got over like gangbusters, whereas WWE has had him as a guy who talks about his family; smilin' and jokin' Bobby Lashley; Lashley who poses and shows off his ass while Lio Rush yammers away on the microphone during his matches; and now this thing with Lana and NONE of it has gotten him over.

-Asuka-Donna was fun but the Donna video package (I cannot spell her last name to save my life!) trumpeting her as an NXT "star" only for her to get squashed by Asuka seemed like a not-so-subtle burial of NXT. 

-Main event was solid.

• Like 1