DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2020: OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

This has been a fun convo to read, but it was definitely founded on a somewhat faulty premise that the scenery/QOL of where the college is located should impact   the choices of elite prospects.

It doesn’t.  It’s probably not even Top 5 in their decision making process.  The quality of *campus* matters quite a lot (and more specifically, the quality of the athletic facilities available there), but the surrounding city?  Nah.  These guys have virtually no life off campus during their college careers.  Give them a mall and like one decent club where they can drink free and meet girls, and they’re good.

The top 2 things they care about:  winning and getting to the NFL.  They will go where the fuck ever if they think they can get those two things.  And those two things come down to the coaches and money.  If a shoulda-been powerhouse program is underperforming, they’re lacking one or the other, maybe both.

5 hours ago, Robert C said:

I'm sure I'm zooming a bunch of guys here, but here goes.  Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill, Kyler Murray, Nick Foles, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, Robert Griffin and Andy Dalton all played high school ball in Texas.  Mayfield, Foles and Brees played at schools that might as well be part of Austin.  None of those guys played at Texas.  That's just looking at current NFL quarterbacks.  Include former or future NFL quarterbacks and you get guys like Andrew Luck, Johnny Manziel and Jalen Hurts.  There's four Heisman trophy winners in there.  RG3 and Manziel both wanted to play for them, but both were recruited only as DBs.  Obviously some of those guys overlap with Applewhite/Young/McCoy, but that's a pretty impressive list of misses. 

Per his dad--I can't confirm on any of the usual sites--they offered Mahomes as a safety too. (To be fair, he didn't start at QB until his JR year of HS, and a lot of schools thought he'd play baseball instead.) 

The newsworthy Chiefs/college related item is that Eric Bieniemy is "doing his due diligence" regarding the Colorado job. 

Edited by Beech27

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

This has been a fun convo to read, but it was definitely founded on a somewhat faulty premise that the scenery/QOL of where the college is located should impact   the choices of elite prospects.

It doesn’t.  It’s probably not even Top 5 in their decision making process.  The quality of *campus* matters quite a lot (and more specifically, the quality of the athletic facilities available there), but the surrounding city?  Nah.  These guys have virtually no life off campus during their college careers.  Give them a mall and like one decent club where they can drink free and meet girls, and they’re good.

The top 2 things they care about:  winning and getting to the NFL.  They will go where the fuck ever if they think they can get those two things.  And those two things come down to the coaches and money.  If a shoulda-been powerhouse program is underperforming, they’re lacking one or the other, maybe both.

I agree with this, but it's also why there is no excuse that Texas isn't better.  Texas has the highest athletic budget in the entire country.  They had a national television network.  They have one of the richest, most shameless booster networks in the country.  They are the school that matters in the most football mattering state in the country.  Did you read the list of quarterbacks that they didn't recruit?  If Texas was competent they'd get 4 out of 5 prospects they recruit, they just seem to be doing a shit job.  Those people can't stand Mack Brown, but he's by far the best coach they've had in my lifetime.  He was able to recruit elite talent and get them to perform on the field.  No one else has come close.

USC is kind of in the same boat.  They don't have the budget that Texas does, but they are the football school in one of the talent rich parts of the country.  They are bad, because they have bad people in charge.  Any time they've had a head coach with half a brain they've been able to recruit elite talent.  

One thing that's very different now is that more and more top recruits are gathering at relatively small schools. Maybe because it's the best chance at winning and getting to the NFL, maybe because it's so much easier to keep in touch with everyone back home than ever before, maybe both... But Clemson has signed six five star players this year. LSU and Bama each have three (these numbers might have changed, I'm going from an article over a month old).

12 five star players would have been split between probably 8 or 10 programs in the past. They would've mostly signed with either nearest or second nearest major power program. (There are obvious historical exceptions to this, like Michigan State bringing black students from the south up north back when the power programs in the South wouldn't let them in) and there were always some guys who would wind up way out of region. But the vast majority of football teams, even national contenders, would be built around mostly local or semi-local talent, with maybe a couple kids from Florida, Texas, or California.

Everyone: COLORADO NEEDS TO HIRE ERIC BIENIEMY YESTERDAY!!!

Colorado:

(I am being a little weasely with this since apparently their is mutual interest between Colorado and Bieniemy and, depending on who you talk to, he is the top candidate)

The NCAA has granted a waiver to allow Marshall and ECU to start their season a week earlier in connection with honoring the 50th anniversary of the Marshall plane crash (since the crash happened as Marshall was returning from a game at ECU)

The game will now be played on August 29. The game will air on one of the ESPN networks.

Since the teams will be allowed to practice a week early the teams must take 7 additional days off throughout the season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Forget NCAA sanctions, there is now photographic evidence and a sworn affidavit that Mark Dantonio committed perjury.

Dantonio is hilariously claiming he doesn't know how the guy got to the house with Dantonio but that it wasn't with him.  He's looking at some serious hot water. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 4:44 PM, supremebve said:

Except most of those kids aren't from Alabama.  You can't win championships only recruiting kids from Alabama.  Those kids are from all over the country, like California, Florida, and Texas.  I'm just saying, if I could be a star athlete in Austin, Los Angeles, Miami, or Tuscaloosa...I wouldn't ever choose Tuscaloosa.  

Alabama makes a ton of hay in Georgia. Tons of high school talent here. 

And to address another point I saw, Georgia Tech just had the second best recruiting class in program history by heavily emphasizing the proximity to Atlanta's party zones. It worked so well Kurby Smart tried to ape it at u(sic)ga. So off-campus life matters to some...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, just drew said:

Alabama makes a ton of hay in Georgia. Tons of high school talent here. 

And to address another point I saw, Georgia Tech just had the second best recruiting class in program history by heavily emphasizing the proximity to Atlanta's party zones. It worked so well Kurby Smart tried to ape it at u(sic)ga. So off-campus life matters to some...

I remember talking to some friends about how the biggest indictments of mismanagement for the Wizards and the Hawks is that they've never been able to convince young, black, multi-millionaires to want to live in DC or Atlanta.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I remember talking to some friends about how the biggest indictments of mismanagement for the Wizards and the Hawks is that they've never been able to convince young, black, multi-millionaires to want to live in DC or Atlanta.  

I think the new Hawks ownership gets that. The Atlanta Spirit Group couldn't have convinced fraternity boys to Cabo San Lucas. Completely inept.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of chatter around college football that athletic departments are developing contingency plans for COVID-19 impacting next season.  We’re still a ways off from any decisions having to be made, but it’s interesting to think about how things might change.

I could easily see all OOC games being cancelled and the start of the season being pushed back to October and everybody just playing through their conference schedules.  That would be catastrophic for small schools that depended on that money to make their budgets, but I think the P5 decision makers would be fine with it.  Maybe come to some agreement to bailout the G5 schools.

I’m sure every possible alternative has been discussed, but it’s hard to see that idea gaining any traction.  It’s highly likely that most universities will still be online-only over the summer, but they’re going to have camp and games?  From a football standpoint, coaches are already peeved about not having spring practice, and now you’re going to ask them to have a rushed summer/fall camp?  No one’s going to like that, but especially not the guys who are coaching for their jobs this year.  Quite a few freshmen don’t even make it to campus until August; it would just be a lost year for them.

And that’s not even getting into the fact that, from a public health perspective, you’re potentially trading coronavirus infections for massive heat strokes, for players and fans.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

Well the Mike Leach Mississippi State experiment is off to an interesting start.  A number of players now want to be transferred out of the school after Leach tweet a picture of a old woman deciding to spend her time in quarantine by sewing  a noose.  I believe the joke is that she is using the noose for her husband but yeah in that state maybe just avoid that reference all together

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...