DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2020: OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I can see not wanting to live in L.A. as someone who drives, has a job, and is essentially anonymous to the general public.  If I'm 18, a star athlete, who exists primarily on an enclosed campus that is chock full of women my age who all know my name...L.A. shoots up to top 2 places on Earth.  I think this is where I bring up the fact that Miami hasn't been good in 20 years either.  Seriously, the top 4 teams in the country were in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Clemson, South Carolina, Columbus, Ohio, and Norman, Oklahoma...if the USC and/or Miami coach shows up to an 18-year-old's house with a scholarship and he picks one of those places the USC/Miami coach needs to be fired.  It should be an overwhelming recruiting advantage.  Convincing an 18 year old to spend the next 4 years of his life in Tuscaloosa, Alabama when Los Angeles exists makes me wonder why Nick Saban isn't doing something else.  Shit, that motherfucker might get Iran to give up the nukes if he can pull that off.  You couldn't pay me to live in Tuscaloosa for 4 years, he convinces those kids to do it for "free."  

I'd imagine it has to do with the local football culture... to plenty of Alabamans outside any of the big cities, Tuscaloosa and Auburn ARE Los Angeles. It's like football Mecca.

And don't get me wrong... there was plenty of good looking trim in Austin.

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'd imagine it has to do with the local football culture... to plenty of Alabamans outside any of the big cities, Tuscaloosa and Auburn ARE Los Angeles. It's like football Mecca.

And don't get me wrong... there was plenty of good looking trim in Austin.

Except most of those kids aren't from Alabama.  You can't win championships only recruiting kids from Alabama.  Those kids are from all over the country, like California, Florida, and Texas.  I'm just saying, if I could be a star athlete in Austin, Los Angeles, Miami, or Tuscaloosa...I wouldn't ever choose Tuscaloosa.  

• Like 1

Or Baton Rouge, Columbia, or Columbus. (Or, to be fair, Ann Arbor)

Pete Carroll seemed to have everything perfectly clicking in USC. Will Ferrell showing up to practice as Ricky Bobby, winning double digit games every year, some national titles... I know he got out ahead of the sanctions, but Christ how did it collapse this bad?

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Or Baton Rouge, Columbia, or Columbus. (Or, to be fair, Ann Arbor)

Pete Carroll seemed to have everything perfectly clicking in USC. Will Ferrell showing up to practice as Ricky Bobby, winning double digit games every year, some national titles... I know he got out ahead of the sanctions, but Christ how did it collapse this bad?

kiffin_fowler09.jpg

Hi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

kiffin_fowler09.jpg

Hi. 

As a USC alum, that's what made watching Ed Orgeron with a championship with LSU this year so much more bittersweet.

Ed steps in as interim coach after they fire Lane Kiffin, does respectably well and is endears himself to USC fans and players, but the administration already locked in on poaching Steve Sarkisian from day one and kicked Coach O to the curb, and USC has been struggling to regain the past glory ever since.

Problem now though is that Clay Helton clawed his way back to ending this season a JUST respectable enough winning record where you cant justify firing him, even though students and alumni are still lukewarm on him because we still are nowhere near close to scratching BCS contention, and that is enough to hurt recruitment. 

Those of you still asking why elite prospects are picking Southern and Midwest schools? Because that's where the national championships are being won and the most high-profile games on a national television level are happening right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I would like to point out that Pete just promoted living in a city because they had lax security 

I’d guess a lot of schools used to allow that kind of access.  The old track inside Kyle Field was open to anybody when I was at A&M. I’ve got to figure everyone closed that access by 2001 at latest.  Growing up in Austin, we used to play football on the field if we could find somebody to drive a bunch of middle school kids down to the university. There’d be a bunch of little games sharing the field at the same time.  Getting tackled by older kids on the old school AstroTurf sucked. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, supremebve said:

It doesn't make any damn sense at all.  The crazy thing is that it isn't even the craziest state that doesn't have a dominant college football team.  Texas hasn't been very good since Vince Young left, and there is no place on Earth that cares more about football than Texas.  

They played for the national title after the 2009 season. Might very well have won it if Colt McCoy hadn't gotten hurt.

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Those of you still asking why elite prospects are picking Southern and Midwest schools? Because that's where the national championships are being won and the most high-profile games on a national television level are happening right now. 

Sure. The question is how did they get the kids there to start winning titles in the first place? I mean, sure, great recruiting helps, but kids willingly choosing Alabama over California when USC was still a top program is how Alabama rose to the top in the first place. 

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

They played for the national title after the 2009 season. Might very well have won it if Colt McCoy hadn't gotten hurt.

That's still over 10 years ago.  Texas is the football team that matters in the state that produces the most football players.  Texas, a state with seven times more people than Alabama and care about football more than everyone else.  Alabama has won five National Championships in that time.  It is a complete and total failure on behalf of Texas and USC to not be contenders every season.  The have the tradition, the talent base, and the big money boosters to compete with every single team in the country, and yet they aren't competing.  Earle Bruce and John Cooper aren't remembered fondly as Ohio State coaches, but both of them won multiple conference championships and won over 70% of their games.  You know why that is looked down upon, because Ohio has too many people, with too much money, who care too much about football, to not contend for National Championships.  Texas and USC are in the same boat, but seem to spend a lot of time being mediocre.

*I remember the Colt McCoy teams, and if your championship hopes are based on Colt McCoy not being injured, you don't have championship hopes.  We remember the all-time big hitters in football, but Colt McCoy for my money is the all-time biggest hittee.

13 hours ago, Robert C said:

I’d guess a lot of schools used to allow that kind of access.  The old track inside Kyle Field was open to anybody when I was at A&M. I’ve got to figure everyone closed that access by 2001 at latest.  Growing up in Austin, we used to play football on the field if we could find somebody to drive a bunch of middle school kids down to the university. There’d be a bunch of little games sharing the field at the same time.  Getting tackled by older kids on the old school AstroTurf sucked. 

Hell, even in Montreal you could walk right onto the field at McGill as of a few years ago. Folks were using the running track.

12274420_10204600522473952_5839051702980774195_n.jpg

• Like 1

I would have never guessed that you could just walk onto a college football field.  I remember when I was in high school, the most securely guarded part of the entire campus was the football field.  Our coach couldn't go on the field on a day that wasn't game day.  He tried to do one of those inspirational speeches with us before our first game, and the groundskeeper told him in no uncertain terms that he's the only one with access to the field outside of game day.  We thought there was going to be a fight.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

That's still over 10 years ago.  Texas is the football team that matters in the state that produces the most football players.  Texas, a state with seven times more people than Alabama and care about football more than everyone else.  Alabama has won five National Championships in that time.  It is a complete and total failure on behalf of Texas and USC to not be contenders every season.  The have the tradition, the talent base, and the big money boosters to compete with every single team in the country, and yet they aren't competing.  Earle Bruce and John Cooper aren't remembered fondly as Ohio State coaches, but both of them won multiple conference championships and won over 70% of their games.  You know why that is looked down upon, because Ohio has too many people, with too much money, who care too much about football, to not contend for National Championships.  Texas and USC are in the same boat, but seem to spend a lot of time being mediocre.

*I remember the Colt McCoy teams, and if your championship hopes are based on Colt McCoy not being injured, you don't have championship hopes.  We remember the all-time big hitters in football, but Colt McCoy for my money is the all-time biggest hittee.

Well, Mack Brown ain't coaching in Austin anymore.  Pete Carroll isn't in LA.  Before Tricky Nicky got there, Alabama wasn't exactly lighting it up either.  In the 10 years before Saban got there, Bama had seasons of 4, 7, 3, 7, 4, 6,  and 6 wins with 3 10-win seasons mixed in.  Doesn't matter if your school is a "blue blood" if your coaches aren't good enough.  

Texas hasn't bounced back yet but who knows how much damage the last couple years of Mack Brown and the Charlie Strong years did.  It took Michigan forever to recover from Lloyd Carr taking the last couple years of his tenure off.  Texas has won three straight bowl games and at least mildly improving.

But, yeah, by all rights they should be better.

20 minutes ago, Tabe said:

It took Michigan forever to recover from Lloyd Carr taking the last couple years of his tenure off.

Michigan is a tricky one, I don't actually believe there is any reason why they SHOULD be good.  If you go back and look at MIchigan's all-time greats, you won't see that many people from Michigan.  The weather sucks, the academic standards are extremely high, and an 18-year-old probably doesn't remember the last time MIchigan was a contender.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Michigan is a tricky one, I don't actually believe there is any reason why they SHOULD be good.  If you go back and look at MIchigan's all-time greats, you won't see that many people from Michigan.  The weather sucks, the academic standards are extremely high, and an 18-year-old probably doesn't remember the last time MIchigan was a contender.  

But they have great helmets

Tabe just nailed a big part of of the reason for Texas.  They've had six coaches since Darrel Royal left 44 years ago.

Fred Akers - had some very good years.  Could easily have won a national championship in 93.  I was there for his final game.  The "Fire Fred" chants were LOUD, and fun for an Aggie fan growing up in Austin.

David McWilliams - Nice guy.  His players loved him.  Had one very good year.  That was 1990.  If Dolfan is reading this, he's welcome to comment on how that year ended.  Otherwise his record was pretty much crap.

John Mackovic - Their fans hated him, apparently because he wasn't a "Texas" guy.  He was basically dead man walking from the time they announced his hire.  Somehow lasted six years.

Mack Brown - obviously a massive success.  National championship.  Nearly matched Royal's percentage.  His success, and Deloss Dodd's massive arrogance, helped to spoil an already entitled fanbase.  It's amazingly hard to find a Texas fan, at least in Austin, with any anything good to say about Brown.  The level of vitriol directed towards him (and a lesser extent towards Colt McCoy, who should obviously have risked his professional future and health for an amateur sport) is amazing.  After Brown was let go, a good portion of Texas fans thought Nick Saban was going to show up at Texas' senior banquet, bringing Alabama's top recruits with him.  Instead they got...

Charlie Strong - Forgot to bring Teddy Bridgewater to Austin with him.  Bret Bielema called beating one his teams in a bowl game an erotic experience.  Somehow lost to Kansas.  Managed to have a losing record overall.

Tom Herman - Jury's still out.  Seems to be recruiting well.  Teams have been inconsistent, but mostly improved from Strong  They were talked about as potential National Championship contenders going into 2019.  Played as well against LSU as anybody, then pretty much fell apart, especially defensively  Had impressive bowl wins win 2018 and 2019 against teams that were better on paper.

The other big thing has been their consistent inability over most of that time frame to recruit quarterbacks worth a damn.  Brown's strong years coincide pretty neatly with the Applewhite/Young/McCoy years.  Otherwise they've been inconsistent at best.  This despite the state producing a slew of talented quarterbacks, many of whom would accepted offers from Texas if they had bothered to, well, offer. 

I'm sure I'm zooming a bunch of guys here, but here goes.  Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill, Kyler Murray, Nick Foles, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, Robert Griffin and Andy Dalton all played high school ball in Texas.  Mayfield, Foles and Brees played at schools that might as well be part of Austin.  None of those guys played at Texas.  That's just looking at current NFL quarterbacks.  Include former or future NFL quarterbacks and you get guys like Andrew Luck, Johnny Manziel and Jalen Hurts.  There's four Heisman trophy winners in there.  RG3 and Manziel both wanted to play for them, but both were recruited only as DBs.  Obviously some of those guys overlap with Applewhite/Young/McCoy, but that's a pretty impressive list of misses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Robert C said:

David McWilliams - Nice guy.  His players loved him.  Had one very good year.  That was 1990.  If Dolfan is reading this, he's welcome to comment on how that year ended.  Otherwise his record was pretty much crap.

O hai. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You used to be able to walk out to the field at ND Stadium and someone would even give you a tour around, but that shit is pretty locked down now. The gates are still open sometimes, but you'll be asked what you're doing and so on.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

I'm sure I'm zooming a bunch of guys here, but here goes.  Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill, Kyler Murray, Nick Foles, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, Robert Griffin and Andy Dalton all played high school ball in Texas.  Mayfield, Foles and Brees played at schools that might as well be part of Austin.  None of those guys played at Texas.  That's just looking at current NFL quarterbacks.  Include former or future NFL quarterbacks and you get guys like Andrew Luck, Johnny Manziel and Jalen Hurts.  There's four Heisman trophy winners in there.  RG3 and Manziel both wanted to play for them, but both were recruited only as DBs.  Obviously some of those guys overlap with Applewhite/Young/McCoy, but that's a pretty impressive list of misses. 

This right here is the problem.  I'd be willing to bet all of those guys grew up dreaming about playing at Texas.  I grew up in Ohio, and every kid who played football dreamed about playing at Ohio State (except if they somehow dreamed of playing up north...I'll never understand it).  Do you know how many colleges are in Ohio?  Ohio State has been undefeated against the rest of Ohio since 1921.  It is because everyone who wants to play college football in the state of Ohio dreams of playing at Ohio State.  Everyone playing at those other schools would leave immediately if Ohio State came calling.  Texas is in the exact same boat.  No one grows up wanting to play for Baylor, or Texas A&M, those schools should never beat Texas.  It is gross negligence, there is no other reason.

15 hours ago, supremebve said:

They're good because they were one of the first halfway decent college football programs.  And have an unlimited supply of money.  And cool helmets.  And they attract a lot of kids because the college itself is ridiculously good.  

But...yeah, there's a lot of reasons why they shouldn't be good.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

O hai. 

I'll never tire of that.  "This borders on child abuse!"

It's been nearly 30 years.  I wonder if Peter Gardere has got over the nightmares yet.  Texas' QB stats for the game:

Passing              Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack
-------------------------------------------------
Totals...              18-8-3     55  0   15    9
  • Haha 1