DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2020: OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

What's amazing is Leach really only had one season where his team was a serious contender (and I'm still in love with his suggested tie breaker for the Big XII) and he appears to actually be a complete dick, but God he's fun from the outside.

So with Joe Burrow graduating and now reports that passing game coordinator Joe Brady is heading back to the NFL, it looks like LSU’s window is officially closed already.  That perfect storm blew in and out in hurry.

16 hours ago, EVA said:

So with Joe Burrow graduating and now reports that passing game coordinator Joe Brady is heading back to the NFL, it looks like LSU’s window is officially closed already.  That perfect storm blew in and out in hurry.

Umm...LSU will be good next year if I am the quarterback.  That team is full of professionals, and unless they all get suspended for taking Odell Beckham's "fake" money they'll be a contender for years.

LSU has been full of professionals for the past 20 years.  It’s Joe Brady who came in last year and made them what they were on offense (plus having a generational talent emerge at QB, of course).  We’ll see who they hire to replace Brady, but do not be surprised if they revert back to head-scratching 8-win seasons of the past decade after these departures.

I’m really surprised at how many top end RBs are staying for their senior seasons.  That seems like the one position where you absolutely declare if you think you’re going reasonably early.  

As a side note, if anybody had any running backs they’re not planning to use, please send em to College Station.  One scholarship RB ain’t gonna cut it

• 2 weeks later...

So, the annual signing period is basically dunzo, and it looks like the consensus opinion is that 7 of the top 10 recruiting classes belong to the SEC.  Of the other 3, two are Clemson and Ohio State.  Not great news for the people who are bored of seeing the same teams winning every year.

I'm constantly amazed how badly the West coast has fallen off. I totally get why most of the Midwest struggles compared to the past, between population decreases and top recruits being more willing than ever to go to school way out of their home region.

But how is USC not competing for the best players in the nation? Beautiful weather, storied tradition, the most celebrity laden city in the country... The fact that young, extremely talented athletes would rather move to South Carolina than L.A. is mindboggling.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, EVA said:

So, the annual signing period is basically dunzo, and it looks like the consensus opinion is that 7 of the top 10 recruiting classes belong to the SEC.  Of the other 3, two are Clemson and Ohio State.  Not great news for the people who are bored of seeing the same teams winning every year.

Speaking of SEC signings:

Oh boy, that is QUITE the twitter handle. . . ?

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, Brian Fowler said:

But how is USC not competing for the best players in the nation? Beautiful weather, storied tradition, the most celebrity laden city in the country... The fact that young, extremely talented athletes would rather move to South Carolina than L.A. is mindboggling.

It doesn't make any damn sense at all.  The crazy thing is that it isn't even the craziest state that doesn't have a dominant college football team.  Texas hasn't been very good since Vince Young left, and there is no place on Earth that cares more about football than Texas.  

41 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It doesn't make any damn sense at all.  The crazy thing is that it isn't even the craziest state that doesn't have a dominant college football team.  Texas hasn't been very good since Vince Young left, and there is no place on Earth that cares more about football than Texas.  

Preach it. Years ago I was flying home from San Diego Comic Con and had a stopover in Houston, so I grabbed a copy of Dave Campbell's Texas Football from the newsstand. It previewed every football team in the state.

Every.

Single.

Team.

From the Cowboys and Texans down through FBS, FCS, Division 2, 3, NAIA, jucos... through the powerhouse high school programs... to the hundreds of schools playing six-man football. That fucker had to be at least 600 pages.

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

Preach it. Years ago I was flying home from San Diego Comic Con and had a stopover in Houston, so I grabbed a copy of Dave Campbell's Texas Football from the newsstand. It previewed every football team in the state.

Every.

Single.

Team.

From the Cowboys and Texans down through FBS, FCS, Division 2, 3, NAIA, jucos... through the powerhouse high school programs... to the hundreds of schools playing six-man football. That fucker had to be at least 600 pages.

I don't get how they haven't figured it out.  Just based on population California and Texas should produce the most football players than any other state.  Then you take into account that they have the weather/space to practice, play, and train 365 days a year.  I grew up playing football in Ohio, guess what we weren't about to do in November, December, January, February, March, and sometimes April?  Outdoor sports.  I remember late in the middle school football season, football practice sucked because of the cold and we were done a couple weeks before Halloween.  I'm not mad that the Buckeyes always get big time recruits, but I don't know how they convince kids from Texas and California to play for them.  Then again, I don't know why they'd go to Alabama or Clemson, South Carolina either.  If you had a chance to live in Los Angeles or Austin, why would you ever go to any of those places?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I don't get how they haven't figured it out.  Just based on population California and Texas should produce the most football players than any other state.  Then you take into account that they have the weather/space to practice, play, and train 365 days a year.  I grew up playing football in Ohio, guess what we weren't about to do in November, December, January, February, March, and sometimes April?  Outdoor sports.  I remember late in the middle school football season, football practice sucked because of the cold and we were done a couple weeks before Halloween.  I'm not mad that the Buckeyes always get big time recruits, but I don't know how they convince kids from Texas and California to play for them.  Then again, I don't know why they'd go to Alabama or Clemson, South Carolina either.  If you had a chance to live in Los Angeles or Austin, why would you ever go to any of those places?

I can see not wanting to live in LA, but Austin may be the coolest city I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I went down there for spring break one year in college (my roomie was dating a girl who went there)... somewhere there's photos of me bopping around the 50-yard line at Memorial Stadium after we literally walked in through an unlocked gate and onto the field.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

I can see not wanting to live in LA, but Austin may be the coolest city I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I went down there for spring break one year in college (my roomie was dating a girl who went there)... somewhere there's photos of me bopping around the 50-yard line at Memorial Stadium after we literally walked in through an unlocked gate and onto the field.

I can see not wanting to live in L.A. as someone who drives, has a job, and is essentially anonymous to the general public.  If I'm 18, a star athlete, who exists primarily on an enclosed campus that is chock full of women my age who all know my name...L.A. shoots up to top 2 places on Earth.  I think this is where I bring up the fact that Miami hasn't been good in 20 years either.  Seriously, the top 4 teams in the country were in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Clemson, South Carolina, Columbus, Ohio, and Norman, Oklahoma...if the USC and/or Miami coach shows up to an 18-year-old's house with a scholarship and he picks one of those places the USC/Miami coach needs to be fired.  It should be an overwhelming recruiting advantage.  Convincing an 18 year old to spend the next 4 years of his life in Tuscaloosa, Alabama when Los Angeles exists makes me wonder why Nick Saban isn't doing something else.  Shit, that motherfucker might get Iran to give up the nukes if he can pull that off.  You couldn't pay me to live in Tuscaloosa for 4 years, he convinces those kids to do it for "free."  

• Like 1