DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2020: OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

54 minutes ago, EVA said:

All the inside reports indicate that the Big 12 holds the fate of Fall football in its hands now.  If they cancel, the ACC and SEC will fall in with the majority.  But they are desperately trying to convince the Big 12 to stick it out, behind the scenes.

So it all comes down to Texas and Oklahoma then..    Well,  it's not like the state of Oklahoma would sign off on mass gatherings with no masks so this should go well. 

52 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ol' Ball Coach is wrong but also right.  

How will either conference survive a year without FCS opponents littered throughout the schedule?

Edited by Tabe
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think they are only playing conference games but I don't think they will actually play at all.  I think it's 70/30 they don't play. 

Don’t make Tabe start using emojis 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think they are only playing conference games but I don't think they will actually play at all.  I think it's 70/30 they don't play. 

Might wanna double check that sarcasm detector. 

Purdue coach Jeff Brohm with a pretty good proposal for what a 2021 with a spring AND fall football season could look like.  The first I’ve seen put forward:

You definitley could not play a full season in either the fall or spring.  That’s a tremendous health hazard to the players.

Of course, to pull something like this off, they really need to get the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 on board, because if those conferences play this fall and then come back with a full season in 2021...there is going to be tremendous pressure on the B1G and PAC-12 to do the same.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That dude's family must have SUCKED.    

Imagine how horrible your family has to be to be more upset by news of a paid vacation than your fucking parents dying. Seriously,  if my job tells me not to come back until next year and I still get paid,  I'm throwing a fucking party. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The NCAA announced that there will be no championships for Fall sports including for FCS (this is because less than 50% of schools will be having Fall sports)

Because of $$$ - FBS is unaffected 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The NCAA announced that there will be no championships for Fall sports including for FCS (this is because less than 50% of schools will be having Fall sports)

Because of $$$ - FBS is unaffected 

I had to look this up because your wording was confusing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/us/ncaa-fall-sports-cancel-trnd/index.html

If FBS is unaffected, then what does that mean for football in spring? Is there going to be dual national champions? Do the teams that played in the fall have to come back and play the best ranked teams in the spring to determine a national champion? Cause no stakes college football besides the major rivalry games and the first week obviously is going to die a horrible death in the ratings. Like straight up tank.

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I had to look this up because your wording was confusing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/us/ncaa-fall-sports-cancel-trnd/index.html

If FBS is unaffected, then what does that mean for football in spring? Is there going to be dual national champions? Do the teams that played in the fall have to come back and play the best ranked teams in the spring to determine a national champion? Cause no stakes college football besides the major rivalry games and the first week obviously is going to die a horrible death in the ratings. Like straight up tank.

The NCAA has no control of the FBS postseason and doesn’t name a National Champion for that subdivision. The polls still technically vote for the National Championship but I think the coaches poll has to vote whoever wins the National Championship Game #1. There’s a good chance at a spilt National Championship this season with one poll voting a team from the fall #1 and another voting a spring team #1. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The NCAA has no control of the FBS postseason and doesn’t name a National Champion for that subdivision. The polls still technically vote for the National Championship but I think the coaches poll has to vote whoever wins the National Championship Game #1. There’s a good chance at a spilt National Championship this season with one poll voting a team from the fall #1 and another voting a spring team #1. 

I don't see this ending well.

• Like 1

Moreover, if a bunch of players who are likely to go in next year's NFL draft opt out in the spring, can you really call yourself the OTHER national champion? Plus, I don't see the desire to watch the crowning of one just a couple months after crowning the first one.

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't see Spring football happening.  I think it's all getting postponed until next August.  Now, the SEC I could see attempting to play through this but even then I don't see them completing a season. 

Right, but really it wouldn't be postponed. It would be essentially be cancelled because they would be playing the 21-22 season, not 20-21.

• Like 2

The AP has announced that they will rank teams in the fall and spring seasons.  While not explicitly stated yet, it stands to reason that they will crown a champion for each season.

Even if they don’t, you have to think whichever teams finish #1 will claim it.