DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2020: OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

The ACC has announced that they are delaying the start of Fall sports until Sept 1

This won't effect football as the first game wasn't scheduled until Sept 2

But it is notable

I would expect the other major conferences to follow suit soon.  This is an apocalyptic development for a lot of non-P5 and FCS schools that count on those paychecks to make their budgets.  A lot of the smaller P5 programs will take a hit, too.

I know South Alabama is opening a brand new football stadium this year, and I can’t imagine worse timing.  They’re in deep shit.

I think it’s getting less and less likely the season gets played.  Probably, everybody will go to conference play only and push the season back to October, but man, it’s July and we still have plenty of schools that aren’t even back practicing yet (or that started and had to shut down).  There’s no way you’re going to be able to even get 14 schools in the same conference on the same page.

And I don’t think pushing the season to the spring is feasible, for a lot of different reasons, even if COVID is under control.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, if you are a player why do you even show up?  Are campuses even going to be open?

Yes

That doesn't mean sports should be played but yes - most campuses are open with some capacity of students living on campus.

Some in fact are opening early because they announced that the semester ends at Thanksgiving as some areas are trying to get done before flu season starts.

Of course this is completely state by state based on who has it under control and who isn't run by fucktards

Has the SEC said anything about what they're going to do?  Feels like that's a pretty big shoe waiting to drop.

It also sounds like there might not be high school football in Texas this year, which is a hell of a thing.

Just now, RIPPA said:

Yes

That doesn't mean sports should be played but yes - most campuses are open with some capacity of students living on campus.

Some in fact are opening early because they announced that the semester ends at Thanksgiving as some areas are trying to get done before flu season starts.

Of course this is completely state by state based on who has it under control and who isn't run by fucktards

I honestly don't understand why any of this is happening.  The one thing that has become abundantly clear about our friend Covid-19 is that it is highly contagious, and we really don't have any idea how it works.  So we should open up schools so the youngest most irresponsible people can spread this shit to everyone.  

• Like 1

I will just say that the new Wild Card has been thrown in with the threat of International Students being deported if they don't have an in-person class and just leave it at that. (Oh and they wouldn't be able to get back into their home country since they are coming from the US. Okay now I am leaving it at that.)

I can only speak for my employer but the financial losses they will suffer if no student lives on campus is far greater than the losses they will already suffer. And if that happens a whole lotta people are gonna lose their jobs. So it is trying to strike the balance of doing right by the students (who the majority want to return to campus - especially for the money they are paying) vs. doing right by faculty/staff etc... who is also trying to figure out how to manage work and family

There are a lot more issues/questions/etc etc... with no easy answers

And we are a state that... at least for the moment - seems to have it shit together.

Also - we are school that doesn't have football. I can only imagine what is going to happen to schools who need the football money for the entire athletic department to survive.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will just say that the new Wild Card has been thrown in with the threat of International Students being deported if they don't have an in-person class and just leave it at that. (Oh and they wouldn't be able to get back into their home country since they are coming from the US. Okay now I am leaving it at that.)

I can only speak for my employer but the financial losses they will suffer if no student lives on campus is far greater than the losses they will already suffer. And if that happens a whole lotta people are gonna lose their jobs. So it is trying to strike the balance of doing right by the students (who the majority want to return to campus - especially for the money they are paying) vs. doing right by faculty/staff etc... who is also trying to figure out how to manage work and family

There are a lot more issues/questions/etc etc... with no easy answers

And we are a state that... at least for the moment - seems to have it shit together.

Also - we are school that doesn't have football. I can only imagine what is going to happen to schools who need the football money for the entire athletic department to survive.

I'm pretty sure you work for my alma mater (is it an alma mater if you never graduated?) and I could see the loss of international students being a huge fucking problem.  If we weren't so in love with capitalism, we'd be able to shut down without everything going to shit, but we're going to choose to open up and let everything go to shit any way.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Has the SEC said anything about what they're going to do?  Feels like that's a pretty big shoe waiting to drop.

No.  Believe me, they will wait until the last possible minute to cancel any games.

• Like 1

The schools that are going to play in the spring frankly can afford to because about 98% of the players are doing it for the love of the game and not because they are seeing future career from it.   I don't see how there is any chance of major colleges especially ones where the top 5 players are going to be drafted will do it.   For example if I am Trevor Lawrence and I know that I could be a top 3 pick, why would I risk it playing games around the same time as the draft.    So a lot of these major teams like Alabama and Clemson are going to look like the current MLB and NBA situation where they look like pre-season/spring training games.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm willing to sacrifice the careers of 200 guys for the lives of tens of thousands of other players.  

Spring college football seems like a better solution than seeing two thirds of the college football playing students cycling in and out of the hospital (or worse).  

• Like 1

Another major problem with playing spring football to make up the 2020 season is that they’re not going to skip the Fall 2021 season.  So, you’re going to be asking these guys to play a season, take 3-4 months off, and and then play another season.  That would be absolutely brutal.

• Like 1

The Patriot League has cancelled its Fall sports - so that effects some of the random smaller football programs (like Holy Cross, Georgetown, etc...)

Ironically - Navy and Army aren't affected since neither plays in the Patriot for football

However and interesting none football related twist is the conference is allowing Navy and Army to do whatever they want for the Fall. So some folks are already pushing for the Big 10 to add both (including Army to the football schedule)

Vaguely CFB related: Tommy Tuberville won the Alabama GOP senate primary last night and the Alabama Democrats are already putting him through the meat grinder.

tenor.gif?itemid=10816501

• Like 4
  • Haha 1