DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm sure Excalibur cries himself to sleep every night thinking of Ross saying that mean stuff to him.  Dude choked an active wrestler out when he fucked with him.  I'm sure he's fine.

Listen, I'm no Ross apologist.  As much as Cornette gets shit on (rightfully so) for his outdated views, Ross is right there too.  On top of that, I don't think Ross has been good at all on commentary.  I'd rather see a 'Calibur/Tony booth myself.

I just think it's a little much calling a few little comments about "fancy" move names bullying.  Save that word for the real bad shit that most definitely goes on in wrestling.

Tony has been great on his recent run. I was hoping he would help JR get his passion for wrestling back. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

You’re the one who threw that comparison out there. There’s no point to comparing AEW to a random point in WCW’s lifespan just to make AEW look good. 

I took it as him comparing AEW to WCW at even points of being open and/or on tv. Which I find an interesting topic due to different time periods and comparing start ups. Could lead to fun charts if someone wanted to do the research. But I understand the confusion. 

If we want to do a comparison, WCW ppv buys pre-nWo ranged anywhere from about 55,000-250,000, but most landed in the 110,000-150,000 range. All three AEW ppvs are estimated to have done around a 100,000, so WCW was mostly ahead there. Of course, there are a whole lot of factors to consider.

WCW Saturday Night, pre-Nitro, drew ratings and viewership damn near everything on cable would fucking kill for today. But, again, between cord cutting and the massive explosion in number of channels, it's a different world.

WCW through mid-1995 literally struggled to give tickets away to most shows, so AEW selling ~4000 a show is pretty solidly ahead. Of course, they aren't wasting money on house shows either (though late 95 saw WCW's house show business pick up)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that a combined 1.5 million viewers for prime-time wrestling on a Wednesday, a day that is both two days before and two days after long-ass wrestling shows that are being produced by a company that is legit killing the business in the United States, mind you, is pretty good.

Or maybe I'm over-contextualizing things, but 2019 is so different from 1995 that I can't really see much to lend to that comparison. 

Re: Jim Ross, he's an absolute detriment to the programming, but his "movez namez" ribbing is mostly a joke on himself as I perceive it. He's the out-of-touch old man who knows what a slobberknocker is and not much else. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I feel like Excalibur is the type of guy to quietly tell them to fuck off when they are not on air going off his pwg commentary and interactions on highspots series. 

I'd love it if he did that. It would really perk up the Fite stream.

5 hours ago, Log said:

For fuck's sake. There's bullying and there's ribbing.  Ross and Schiavone are lightly ribbing Excalibur.  It's obviously an ongoing joke between the three of them.  Ross isn't abusing Excalibur in the shower or some shit.  

Commentators bullying/ribbing each other has been a popular topic In the news lately. 

5 hours ago, Log said:

For fuck's sake. There's bullying and there's ribbing.  Ross and Schiavone are lightly ribbing Excalibur.  It's obviously an ongoing joke between the three of them.  Ross isn't abusing Excalibur in the shower or some shit.  

Commentators bullying/ribbing each other has been a popular topic In the news lately. 

5 hours ago, Log said:

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

how is anything I said creepy or illegal?  Slut shaming?  Christmas is coming ask for a dictionary . If she wasn't dating Cole she wouldn't be in the spot she's in  period. Half of the roster is better looking than her and more than half of the roster can cut a better promo and give a better match. I'm just asking to be proven wrong. Nobody has so far. I'm not looking to start any shit on here yet you people continue to say shit such as "get the fuck out" yet you can't disprove a thing I've said. 

"Yeah but I'm justifiably creepy"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Do we really want to go down the "half the roster is better looking than her" road anyway? I don't see any way that's a factual statement.

It's hard to compare the success of AEW to WCW, because we aren't going to get any AEW financial numbers. For all we know, they are spending so much money on talent they have no chance of making money.

On 12/13/2019 at 8:14 AM, Log said:

I'm sure Excalibur cries himself to sleep every night thinking of Ross saying that mean stuff to him.  Dude choked an active wrestler out when he fucked with him.  I'm sure he's fine.

Listen, I'm no Ross apologist.  As much as Cornette gets shit on (rightfully so) for his outdated views, Ross is right there too.  On top of that, I don't think Ross has been good at all on commentary.  I'd rather see a 'Calibur/Tony booth myself.

I just think it's a little much calling a few little comments about "fancy" move names bullying.  Save that word for the real bad shit that most definitely goes on in wrestling.

I'm not really concerned with Excalibur's mental state, I'm more concerned with the fact that it's tiresome to listen to.  It reminds me a lot of WWE's commentary when it was a) Cole/Graves/Young and Phillips/Saxton/Graves and the commentary was either a) Commentators just waiting for the other to make a mistake so they can jump all over it and correct them or b) commentators arguing over top of each other trying to make a point while wrestling going on.  I think the JR and Tony laughing to each other every time Excalibur calls a move they haven't heard of is kinda unpleasant to listen to, and a slippery slope on the road to one of the either awful WWE announcing outcomes should the ribbing go too far, or it maybe annoys Excalibur more than he lets on.  It's not as bad as WWE at its worst, but I can honestly see an outcome where they end up there, should this continue.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anyone remember back in like '96 when JR turned heel the first time and used to correct Vince on move names and mock him for not knowing them?

"Whattamanuever!" "That's a piledriver" etc?

Is the fake razor/diesel one? The one with Doc was later, right? 

35 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anyone remember back in like '96 when JR turned heel the first time and used to correct Vince on move names and mock him for not knowing them?

"Whattamanuever!" "That's a piledriver" etc?

What's funny is that I was watching Survivor Series 1996 last week, and I bet Vince was more pissed about JR bringing up how he discovered Austin wrestling at the Sportatorium as a rookie than he could be at JR "shooting" on him during that heel turn.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Is the fake razor/diesel one? The one with Doc was later, right? 

Right. The Doc one got JR what might be the biggest pop in his career when he attacked Michael Cole after insulting the hell out of him.

Also had that awesome night that the first half hour of RAW a crew was just building something at ringside and it ended up being a desk for JR to just come out and do commentary.

Fake Razor/Diesel was way worse, but it's just funny he's in the Vince role to Excalibur now. (Although Kane did a really good job aping Nash. Bogner did all of Hall's pre-match stuff really well, but he was just the drizzling shits bell to bell.)

On 12/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, Bigbosseli said:

I can't remember the last wrestler I've heard billed from buffalo, and I have seen etid a few times so I marked out for bbb.

Beth Phoenix

I love the Butcher/Blade look and gimmick. Good to see they're decent enough in the ring and not "then the bell rang" guys.

I also like the name "Jungle Jack Perry" catching on. "A Boy and his Dinosaur" is a hell of a name for a midcard tag team, but Jungle Jack Perry has a cool 80s sound that he could move up the card with. Luchasaurus has size and owns his gimmick so he's fine either way. Marco Stunt works as the new age Spike Dudley who can take the big beatings so Jack doesn't have to. Love this act, and glad they're getting a main event rub.

• Like 2