DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Overall a good show. I'm glad Big Swole got the win for her debut.

The visual of Tully Blanchard attempting to look like he was struggling while tied up in that chair was absurd, and not in a good way. So, is Joey Janela supposed to be the heel now? 

15 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Jericho had a meeting with the tag teams in AEW to go over tag team psychology and how to put together good tag matches and feuds.

I wonder how the EVPs in charge of the tag teams took that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The visual of Tully Blanchard attempting to look like he was struggling while tied up in that chair was absurd, and not in a good way. So, is Joey Janela supposed to be the heel now? 

The only one coming out of that angle well was Spears who pretty effortlessly succeeded in saving his manager. Tully looked like he could have lifted the ropes off himself at will. Janela looked extra goofy with his hair tied up like that and then got knocked aside pretty easily. It could have been a face moment to do something like that but the execution here stunk.  Say Tully interferes and Janela runs out and drags him away?  That would be fine.  But this?  This was bad execution.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

nothing like that at all. But since you seem to have your head up her  why don't you name me 3 matches that she made better?  I'l wait for you.

So what you're saying is that your constant creepy, borderline illegal slutshaming and doxxing of her wouldn't be as tolerable had she worked at least 3 matches you found acceptable?

Get the fuck out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

AEW won the demo, but who cares. Man those numbers are disappointing to look at as a fan who cares about wrestling. Wednesday is the best night for wrestling and AEW and NXT can't seem to crack a million viewers each. Ideally, I'd want both shows to be drawing in 2 million viewers each, but I'd settle for them to at least both be growing. As it is they're just treading water. Maybe this is what the ceiling is for these two shows.

"Lost the ratings, but won the demo" sounds like when my soccer team gets taken to the woodshed but scored the last goal, so we can claim victory on the "last goal wins" rule. 

If they want to boast about ratings, they should just point out they won Canada for the 11th consecutive week. Just don't tell everyone NXT doesn't air Wednesday nights here. 

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

AEW won the demo, but who cares. Man those numbers are disappointing to look at as a fan who cares about wrestling. Wednesday is the best night for wrestling and AEW and NXT can't seem to crack a million viewers each. Ideally, I'd want both shows to be drawing in 2 million viewers each, but I'd settle for them to at least both be growing. As it is they're just treading water. Maybe this is what the ceiling is for these two shows.

Dude I said this on September 29 in the September wrestling chat thread:

If the war is about who can stay above 1 million viewers between NXT and AEW, then wrestling is something everyone has moved past which is not good at all.

I watched NXT last night and plan on watching this show when I get home from work this evening. When fucking Breezango popped up on my screen the other night, I instantly thought to myself "Well, I know NXT isn't averaging above 900k this week ?".  Unless they have a complete makeover, I don't see NXT ever regularly drawing over a million. It feels too developmental. AEW has plenty of stuff they have to fix.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

6 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Right now it feels like we're just figuring out who's going to take the title off her rather than a legit contender. Is there any word when she'll be back on TV? I haven't read anything but I'm not as plugged in as some.

They said she'll be back January 1 to defend against the winner of next week's Baker/Statlander contenders match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

The only one coming out of that angle well was Spears who pretty effortlessly succeeded in saving his manager. Tully looked like he could have lifted the ropes off himself at will. Janela looked extra goofy with his hair tied up like that and then got knocked aside pretty easily. It could have been a face moment to do something like that but the execution here stunk.  Say Tully interferes and Janela runs out and drags him away?  That would be fine.  But this?  This was bad execution.

Yeah I'm just not sure what the intent was there. The arena blackout gimmick didn't help either. 

21 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Also, beyond technical difficulties, the TSN censor could not stop hitting the button tonight. And yet I can lipread all manner of saucy language during their sports coverage.   

I watched on TSN and got the black screen, too and, hilariously, a commercial with a picture in picture of a black screen.  

Beyond that, there was also an ad for Revolution with some cheesy music that went on for an eternity then just cut to commercial.  Not sure if that was a TSN thing but was probably 30-45 seconds long.

Also there was JR throwing to commercial then saying “Actually we’re not going anywhere”. Then he threw to a commercial later and as it faded into the ad you could hear him AGAIN say “Actually we’re not...” then cut off.  

I know some of this is TSN’s fault but last night really felt for the first time like an episode of Impact for me.  

The main was the Bucks at their worst, throwing so many silly table spots that the crowd stopped even popping.  

I REALLY hate the Excalibur calls a move and JR and Tony make fun of him for it routine.  It’s bad enough when it’s a Japanese/Lucha move.  It’s completely moronic when it’s something like “Greco Roman lockup” (or was it knuckle lock?) that has been used for years.  

I also disliked the QT deal because it smacked -rightly or wrongly- of Marshall getting a spot in a hot match by virtue of being Cody’s friend then getting the most shine of everyone in that match for the same reason. I like the Butcher but he also looks super-green, like the one spot where he walked across the ring then climbed nonchalantly through the ropes and threw himself to the floor when someone missed their cue.  

I actually like the Brandi promo and group. 

Thought the Dark Order promo made no sense because how are we able to see stuff on TV that Alex did but his friend couldn’t?!  It’s like in WCW when we could see Warrior in the mirror but Bischoff couldn’t.  

One last complaint, I am NOT feeling this wrestlers in the crowd watching matches gimmick (Britt last week, SCU and Shida this week).  I think it looks kinda bushleague.  

Love the Jericho-Mox and Jericho-Jurassic builds.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

AEW is already outdoing WCW business prior to the nWo, are they not? 

What's your definition of business?  More people watched Nitro by a WIDE margin, but WCW basically had to give tickets away to get arenas to sell-out.  If we're talking strictly attendance, AEW is doing much better than WCW or ECW.  

9 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

What's your definition of business?  More people watched Nitro by a WIDE margin, but WCW basically had to give tickets away to get arenas to sell-out.  If we're talking strictly attendance, AEW is doing much better than WCW or ECW.  

I was thinking more '91-'95 ish WCW, yeah. Tickets, PPV numbers, AEW is way ahead of where WCW was there. TV, yup, you're right. Nitro even pre-nWo smokes Dynamite. But '95, TV was not the primary revenue source that it is today. I don't think it's outlandish though to compare the two already if you're not looking at peak WCW.