DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Loved the Cody/QT tag. Felt like a starmaking performance for QT the way the crowd was getting into it, I hope it makes him more than just a job guy going forward now. Butcher & Blade made a great heel team and looked impressive throughout. I don't quite get "Cody said he has no friends in AEW" part though... Dustin, the Bucks, Kenny, DDP, etc? this was the best I've seen Aerial Monroe look, good match w/ Sakura. Omega & Hangman make a fun team. Luchasaurus rules, solid match with Sammy, and Jericho was great on commentary. Main event was awesome with so many killer spots.

I think the Cody has no friends stuff comes from his promo from a couple or few weeks ago where he talked about how he has friends, but they're all embroiled in their own battles and aren't available to help him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I think the Cody has no friends stuff comes from his promo from a couple or few weeks ago where he talked about how he has friends, but they're all embroiled in their own battles and aren't available to help him.

Yeah. Dustin and the Bucks are embroiled in a blood feud with the Inner Circle, Kenny has lost himself, Page stepped out of The Elite, Brandi is doing... Whatever the fuck that is with Kong, etc. So Cody is all alone

• Like 2

All he really has left are people like QT Marshall, or someone like Darby who, while a babyface, still has his own motives to helping and teaming with Cody.

Sounds like the perfect reason for Cody needing a villain. Errrr, I mean, a long forgotten friend.

Another great episode seemed over in no time. They have quite the show lined up for next week too, can't wait to see Jungle Jack in the limelight. 

Anyone who watched UK Gladiators in the 90s will recognise who I thought of when I saw Swole's pink two piece outfit.

Spoiler

151189.jpg

I'm no expert in US socioeconomics, but isn't Florida considered more of a dump than Texas? Surely MJF's argument of not disclosing the stipulations in front of 'swine' lost his steam when he said he would announce in Jacksonville instead. 

The Moxley squash was a highlight, and that stretch right through to the MJF segment. The crowd really elevated it too. Rick Knox dies two weeks in a row, good old Aubrey running into the line of fire. No one part of that street fight seemed particularly extreme but it just had a relentless, chaotic pace to it.

I like the presentation of Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford, they both looked good in the match too. Spears is such a nothing even compared to Sabian and Page. And Janela is the next in a long line of AEW wrestlers to harness the lights-out trick. They need to give it a break for a few months.

• Like 2

As I posted in the regular AEW thread:

And for god's sake don't do intricate interference spots where a guy has to take the ref for a full minute or two or a situation where something happens the the ref should obviously hear or maybe see peripherally.  Sorry but if you're supposed to be the alternative to sports entertainment and present a more real-spots-like product, then you can't do this hokey shit.

Penelope Ford hitting a quick rana off the apron to the floor?  Cool.  Penelope Ford going across the whole damn ring for a handspring elbow while the ref has to over-pantomine an argument and pay zero attention to what's happening a few feet behind him?  God I hate that shit.

Various random thoughts off the top of my head:

Page steals the pin from Omega, then they're booked for another tag next week.  Feels like a slow build toward Page vs Omega and I like it.

Decent enough promo by Brandi I suppose and I wonder who the new guy is.  But holy shit, TWO promos filmed in hotel rooms this week?  This isn't BTE.  Come on guys.

I was really afraid Butcher and Blade would be jobbed on their first night in and I'm glad they got the win, but damn, that was a little too close.  While I loved Marshall's Space Flying Dadbod Drop, he got wayyy too much offense on the new guys.  PS I think Butcher might be a breakout star.  Dude has something.

No huge audio issues!  Awesome.  Except for bleeping crowd chants, which blows.

Playing it up that Brandi really wants Statlander does take some of the sting out of killing the impact of Statlander's win last week.

Having Shida at ringside to react to Swole's win was a great idea.

Jerico having 2-3 segments was excellent.  Guy's a pro who is getting everybody over.  

Enough with the full-arena blackouts

Fun streetfight.  The PWG mark in me loved the mentions and putting over the Bucks' Guerrilla Warfare experience.  All we were missing was a thumbtack shoe superkick.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Custos said:

I'm no expert in US socioeconomics, but isn't Florida considered more of a dump than Texas? Surely MJF's argument of not disclosing the stipulations in front of 'swine' lost his steam when he said he would announce in Jacksonville instead. 

Yeah, Jacksonville is a straight up dump, but they do have a nice airport.

x48bd3bkkku11.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Marshall's Space Flying Dadbod Drop

Damnit, now I want that to be one of his signature moves with that name.  That's awesome.

I'll definitely echo the love for the show.  Shit just flew by and just great stuff all around.  Not sure how new this is but I'm getting a huge kick out of the text above the wrestlers names when they come out.  So along with win/loss records and whatnot you now have something to indicate recent developments.  So for Kenny it'll point out he's on a 3 match winning streak or even for Justin Roberts that's been announcing for 23 years.  But what really killed me was they would have funny ones for the likes of Sammy who "Has separation anxiety when he is away from his phone" or Page who (paraphrasing here) "Drank whiskey last Wednesday alone"  Shit like that just cracked me the fuck up.  But whether it's for serious or light-hearted statements (depending on wrestler and story) I think it's a pretty neat addition to the entrance graphic.

Also, @Craig H you think you might check out Revolution?  Not sure how much interest you have in C2E2 but if you go you kind of can't go wrong with those two working together.

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

it's exactly what they are doing. I mean how many shots does she get? Let some of the other women shine. Seriously, what has Brit done to warrant a title shot OR a number 1 contender shot?

Maybe she provides free dental work for the Khans and the VPs.  I know they have money but that shit's expensive.

wouldn't be surprised.   She was really close with Wardlow before she left IWC.   Wardlow is a guy who has talent. When you see his swanton it is an absolute thing of beauty.  The guy is also one of the most humble people you will ever meet. He is someone that will be a huge star by the end of 2020.   Brit on the other hand is the exact opposite and has handed everything handed to her which is ok if you improve and work hard, she hasn't shown much improvement from 2015- now.    If she wasn't dating Adam Cole do you think she would even be in AEW?  Based on talent the answer would have to be no. 

5 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

If she wasn't dating Adam Cole do you think she would even be in AEW?  Based on talent the answer would have to be no. 

You kinda come off as having some sort of personal grievance with her.  Ick.

I'm not a fan, but she's an average hand in a thin division.  Aside from Shida, there's no one in the division I particularly want to watch.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Whodathunkit said:

You kinda come off as having some sort of personal grievance with her.  Ick.

I'm not a fan, but she's an average hand in a thin division.  Aside from Shida, there's no one in the division I particularly want to watch.  

when you go to your home promotion every month for 15 yrs you start to get to know people well. I had also done in ring work for other local promotions as well as commentary so I saw and heard things.  In the 15 yrs she was one of the biggest politicians, usually wouldn't help set up the ring, sell merch, she would constantly trash a promotion but would then work for that same promotion the next week.  I don't have a personal grievance with her but I do think she is a shotty person who got her spot based on who she is dating.  Everything she has received was handed to her.  How many kids do you know can afford Dental AND wrestling school?  She blew off bookings in the UK to go to a Dental School Prom dance and told the UK promoter she couldn't make it due to snow.    It would be one thing if she was a decent person who improved and put in the work but she hasn't.  Part of this is showing now as it just came out that she outed ROH for not booking her after she signed with AEW.   If she ever goes to NXT I would expect her to trash AEW  before the ink on the contract is dry.  

They could give Penelope Ford a shot, they could give Kris Stratlander a shot, give some more of the Japanese talent matches with Riho,  give Bea a proper title shot.  Brit had her shots, she didn't impress, time to move to someone else. 

• Thanks 2

Jericho really did a yeoman's job of putting over Mox, Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus without laying a glove on any of them up to his run-in halfway through the show. Also love that Marko did a normal three-count for JB on the visual pin and didn't have to fast-count Jericho.

How long have they been teasing the Hangman heel turn? None of the announcers even picked up on Page leaving Omega hanging on the high-five early on.

• Like 2

Really enjoyable episode but I have to say I'm not really digging MJF recently. His promos aren't hitting for me and the constant egging on of the crowd is lame. He's good enough to get boos just talking, he doesn't have to ask the crowd if that upsets them once a minute. Making that dude kiss the ring was good, I liked that, but in my opinion less is more with MJF and he could have achieved the same goal in a fraction of the time after that. And it's not "then he's doing his job as a heel" dislike, I just don't think he's that good right now. When Jericho or Cody are on the mic, I'm having a hell of a time. I don't know why it's not clicking with young Maxwell.

Aside from that, I liked a lot of the matches. Emi is still a skip for me but Swole has a lot going for her. Would like to see something from Riho next week, I'm not down with champs not showing up for weeks on end in any promotion. She doesn't need to wrestle if she's not in the country but film some promos or vignettes or an update of her tour in Japan to show her expanding AEW's rep there, ANYTHING. From the outside looking in, she's not exactly the stereotypical wrestler, that makes her special in her own right but if there are new people tuning in and you aren't showing what she can do it might be a tough sell. Shit, people who watch every week and are fans of AEW aren't sold either. Right now it feels like we're just figuring out who's going to take the title off her rather than a legit contender. Is there any word when she'll be back on TV? I haven't read anything but I'm not as plugged in as some.

Blade and Butcher looked pretty good. I'm always a fan of new tag teams being dominant from the bell in their first match, but showing the wrestling hierarchy through some quick tags set the story well enough. I'm stoked Allie and Pepper are together on TV again but I agree that Williams could have higher potential. As an aside, I'm glad we're getting some bigger dudes on the roster. They are my preferred kind of wrestler.

I like what they're doing with Adam Page. He's getting more of a BMF walk to the ring (tm Steve Austin) and the no nonsense attitude is refreshing, especially next to Omega. The match was fun, Janella tying up Tully was funny, Kip and Penelope are a good act. The undercard isn't as solid as the main event scene but they're getting some stuff going. I want to see what Janella/Spears will be like.

What a great night of wrestling all around! It's easy for me to criticize from a distance but the truth is I look forward to Wednesdays every week and my kvetching is purely because I want AEW to succeed and for some reason I think I know how to go about that.

• Like 3

Trying to think of some stuff that stood out to me from last night.

I still think Emi sucks and that's purely because of her gimmick. Again, fucking again she comes out in that shitty gimmick, smiling, letting a kid act like he's singing into the mic, and then the match starts and she's pulling hair, acting weird with the ref, etc. Emi has been doing this shit for a really long time and it's really puzzling why she doesn't act like a heel in her entrance. Oh, and her entrance music sucks. It's probably the worst in the promotion.

The match itself was fine though! If she could sort out her gimmick and alignment then I think she would really nail it. Good win for Swole that actually felt like a big win AND they show Shida looking surprised, which is such a little thing that makes the win look even bigger.

I was impressed by Butcher and the Blade. I know nothing of Andy Williams wrestling and he looked a little rough at times, but other than that he played a hoss really well. I hate to keep saying that it would have been nice if some of these guys could have spent some time at the PC, but he's another guy who could have benefited from some time at the PC and I hope he's able to develop himself well with limited work in AEW. The Blade looked great though. Also, QT Marshall looked impressive for a jobber too. He did everything a jobber should do.

I'm don't dig the Dark Order stuff as much as some of you do, but I also don't think it's bad. I just don't know if it's for me and I don't know how much I can get into a jobber faction. I actually think they would have been better off by running these promos and this angle first and then having them debut in the ring.

Tully wanting to build Spears into a tag champion and matching him with various tag partners is a neat little storyline that I like. Tully was awesome as a tag guy, he knows what he's doing, so it makes sense for him to want to mold Spears into a tag star instead of a singles star.

I fast forwarded through the Brandi stuff. If any of you think it's worth watching then I will, otherwise, meh.

There's some really awesome little stuff that's happening with Adam Page. Him denying the high five from Kenny, not wanting any contact with him pre-match, basically distancing himself from Kenny really makes you feel the tension more than any promo could do. Actions speak louder than words and they look like the married couple having problems that still have to go a family function together and they just want nothing to do with each other unless they have to. Or at least Page looks like he wants nothing to do with it while Kenny looks like he wants everything to be fine. BULLET CLUB IS FINE.

As for their match, I think I've grown numb to the NJPW quality refereeing. I think the reffing in NJPW sucks when it comes to enforcement of rules, AEW is clearly patterning themselves after them, it's clear they're not going to enforce count outs and interference, so I just don't know how much I care any more. I do agree with Bryan Alvarez that at some point they need to actually disqualify someone or count someone out like NJPW does to just show that they potential is there for this to happen. Hell, NJPW did the best countout spot ever in years during the G1 purely because they actually enforced a countout and it played into the drama of the finish to the match.

Moxley squashing dudes is fun shit and the angle with Jericho being afraid of Moxley enough to invite him into the Inner Circle is great. That's going to be a cool moment with Moxley tells Jericho to stuff it up his ass and Moxley fights all of the Inner Circle by himself.

They finally sorted out the audio for the ring, which is good. You can't hear every dull thud from every footstep anymore and the ring still sounds great when people take bumps on it. Crowd sounded great. BTW, that arena looked cool to me. I like how different all of the arenas they're running looks. They're definitely maximizing the potential of every where they run, but Corpus Christi next week worries me. Hopefully they'll have more ticket sales leading up to that show since it should be a fun one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

wouldn't be surprised.   She was really close with Wardlow before she left IWC.   Wardlow is a guy who has talent. When you see his swanton it is an absolute thing of beauty.  The guy is also one of the most humble people you will ever meet. He is someone that will be a huge star by the end of 2020.   Brit on the other hand is the exact opposite and has handed everything handed to her which is ok if you improve and work hard, she hasn't shown much improvement from 2015- now.    If she wasn't dating Adam Cole do you think she would even be in AEW?  Based on talent the answer would have to be no. 

Oh my God, Britt Baker turned you down for a date or something and now you have to pollute every thread with weirdo creep bitching about her. Move the fuck on. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oh my God, Britt Baker turned you down for a date or something and now you have to pollute every thread with weirdo creep bitching about her. Move the fuck on. 

nothing like that at all. But since you seem to have your head up her  why don't you name me 3 matches that she made better?  I'l wait for you.

1 minute ago, paintedbynumbers said:

nothing like that at all. But since you seem to have your head up her  why don't you name me 3 matches that she made better?  I'l wait for you.

I don't even like her. I'm just tired of your "I've got insider info, Britt's the worst" shit. Like fuck man, we get it. Move on. 

• Like 1