DVDVR Message Board

UFC 245: Usman vs. Covington (12/14/2019) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That was a pretty dope takedown, and I'd suggest that she'd keep wrestling for the rest of the fight.  The stand up can go either way, but Nunes is head and shoulders better on the ground.  Keep her on her back and this is a cake walk, standing can go either way.

I think Germaine is head and shoulders above on the feet just the inverse is true on the ground.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IF Irene Aldana can stop Amanda's takedowns, it's going to get really intriguing really fast.

Definitely and when you consider all six Irene Aldana's KO wins happen in the very first round.

Edited by The Natural

Just now, The Natural said:

Definitely and when you consider five of six Irene Aldana's KO wins happen in the very first round.

The thing here is (and maybe being sick as a dog played a role in this), Aldana struggled mightily stopping the takedowns of Tonya Evinger is like 1/10th the athlete Nunes is. Of course, Aldana would murder-death-kill Evinger now who has looked like a shell of a shell of a shell since breaking her leg and was already an old fighter then but Amanda knows where her bread is buttered. She got antsy and buck at the beginning of this fight but in that second round, she realized she was in there with a woman who was once the very best female kickboxer in the world and that's the reason she employed the strategy she did in the first fight. Anything else would have got her head knocked into the fifth row in that fight and in this fight. So Amanda has to get takedowns, and Irene has to fend them off. Simple as that.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Germaine is head and shoulders above on the feet just the inverse is true on the ground.

Yeah, Amanda has power and aggression, but Germaine has a full tool box on their feet.  The problem is that Germaine has a toolbox of striking skills, and Nunes has a garage full of MMA skills.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, Amanda has power and aggression, but Germaine has a full tool box on their feet.  The problem is that Germaine has a toolbox of striking skills, and Nunes has a garage full of MMA skills.  

The thing that holds Germaine back is when she was in San Jose at CSA and AKA, I don't think she enjoyed that experience and that was several years ago now. She wants to be in the Netherlands and obviously you're not going to get too many people that can accurately emulate Amanda Nunes or at the very least dramatically improve your takedown defense on the coaching side. Plus, she has a full time job outside MMA as a cop. It's only so much you can do with those type of factors at play.

Holloway is kind of the anti-Aldo with his strikes.  He needs to hit you a bunch of times to hurt you, and Volkanovski is just standing in and countering before he ever gets that kind of volume going.  This is a great gameplan.

• Like 1

Nutcase Channeling-Dead-Boomers Opinion: Volkanovski, upon learning he was champion, fell into a heap, was told by Dana White to raise his arms (and immediately did) and was told by Joe Rogan to take out him mouth guard (and immediately did). Weird vibes. Champion vibes? Not really.

I thought Max was going to lose this one as I was really let down by his performance against Poirier. MMA math says Jung is going to beat Edgar. bad

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

Nutcase Channeling-Dead-Boomers Opinion: Volkanovski, upon learning he was champion, fell into a heap, was told by Dana White to raise his arms (and immediately did) and was told by Joe Rogan to take out him mouth guard (and immediately did). Weird vibes. Champion vibes? Not really.

I thought Max was going to lose this one as I was really let down by his performance against Poirier. MMA math says Jung is going to beat Edgar. bad

I didn't hold the Poirier fight against him, because Poirier is as skilled as anyone in the sport right now.  Khabib is just otherworldly.

Colby coming out to the Kurt Angle theme is kind of a brilliant move.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Eugene Bareman went from an obscure kickboxing coach in New Zealand to having two UFC champs in Israel Adesanya and Alexander Volkanovski. Hell of a year.

Speaking of coaches having great years, hasn't Hooft had a really good year too? I thought there was someone else aside from Usman he trained to a title or title fight? Admittedly, I'm never up to date on coaches/teams.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I didn't hold the Poirier fight against him, because Poirier is as skilled as anyone in the sport right now.  Khabib is just otherworldly.

Colby coming out to the Kurt Angle theme is kind of a brilliant move.

That was a very much a trap fight for Holloway. He's going up against a skilled bigger man at a weight he has never been at before in the UFC who had everything to gain in that fight. Max had something to gain, but nothing really to lose. 

3 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Speaking of coaches having great years, hasn't Hooft had a really good year too? I thought there was someone else aside from Usman he trained to a title or title fight? Admittedly, I'm never up to date on coaches/teams.

You're probably thinking about Aung La Nsang

I could have gone without hearing Colby say he broke his jaw. Now I'm clenching every time Usman lands a shot to the face and that's a lot. Colby has his best round of the fight as far as damage goes as he kind of-sort of staggers Usman a couple of times.

Here's your friendly reminder - we might not agree with each fighter's personal views but man, we have got to respect them as athletes. Dude's tough as nails.