DVDVR Message Board

UFC 245: Usman vs. Covington (12/14/2019) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Great win for Jessica Eye. Didn't expect it, but glad to see her rebound from her last loss, though it's a shame it'll be tarnished by the weight miss.

Welcome back Matt Brown!

Real OH SHIT Knockout from Aldana! Popped huge for that, one of my favorite fighters since her Invicta days and this felt like her return to form with her first KO in UFC/first since Invicta. Did feel bad for Ketlen but a real awesome win for Irene.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

HOT DAMN IRENE ALDANA BY KO

That's the fighter I've been patiently waiting for Aldana to become since Aldana and Alexa Grasso both started in Invicta.

One of my favourite KOs this year and we've so many great KTFOs in 2019.

8 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Great win for Jessica Eye. Didn't expect it, but glad to see her rebound from her last loss, though it's a shame it'll be tarnished by the weight miss.

Welcome back Matt Brown!

Real OH SHIT Knockout from Aldana! Popped huge for that, one of my favorite fighters since her Invicta days and this felt like her return to form with her first KO in UFC/first since Invicta. Did feel bad for Ketlen but a real awesome win for Irene.

I think Rogan kinda called it before the KD saying that Ketlen was trying to get back at Irene by throwing wacky overhand rights after everytime she got popped by Irene. To me, it felt like Ketlen was being aggressive and overcompensating for the time spent outside the cage to reestablish herself as the top contender. Ketlen got some shots in, but Irene was obviously doing the better work over time. It felt like Ketlen was out there trying to prove a point by being in Irene's face so much, and to her credit, Irene ultimately made her pay for it.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 4:25 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the Quintet Ultra grappling tournament happening this week may be the lone bright spot for ex WEC guys because I think Petr Yan may have his coming out party against Faber on top of potentially depleted Aldo facing Marlon Moraes.

Petr Yan ain't no Ricky Simon (and that's no slight to Simon). He's just a different breed of fighter and way, way, way too much for Faber at this stage of his career.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Peter Yan hits like a truck.  Everything he lands is crushing Faber, I don't know how he survived that round.

Just now, The Natural said:

Good fight opening the main card in Yan/Faber. Yan stops Faber in the third, dominant second round to Yan. Faber managed to survive the second.

Ditto.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Petr Yan ain't no Ricky Simon (and that's no slight to Simon). He's just a different breed of fighter and way, way, way too much for Faber at this stage of his career.

Yeah, like the commentators mentioned, props to Faber for trying to make a run to the title in his return but at no point did he have a path to victory in that fight unless he landed a miraculous shot or could lull Yan into a slow-paced decision fight. Once Petr started turning it up a bit, he was knocking Faber all over the cage. Glad that fight ended when/how it did because the fight was over at that point and it could have been a lot worse than a glancing head kick.

• Like 1

Side rant - the new design to Fight Pass absolutely kills my bandwidth. Fox Sports still has the rights to UFC in Asia so Fight Pass is the only way I can watch prelims or catch events later when I don't feel like waking up at 6 am on a Sunday for them. There used to be an option to change the VQ but that's no longer there so everything streams in HD. I'm still paying by the Mb though so a 3 hour show would cost me something like 10 dollars in data charges.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Aldo looked pretty sharp, and I think he won the first two rounds pretty clearly.  The thing about Aldo is that he's still a damn good fighter, he's just not Jose Aldo any more.  That's a bullshit decision.

Aldo looked good at BW. I also thought Aldo won the fight.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Aldo looked pretty sharp, and I think he won the first two rounds pretty clearly.  The thing about Aldo is that he's still a damn good fighter, he's just not Jose Aldo any more.  That's a bullshit decision.

I know what Rogan meant by saying Jose Aldo is in his athletic prime at age 33 but have many boxers who were champs at age 19-22 in boxing were done by 30-33? Countless. It's just that in MMA, young phenoms like Aldo and Jon Jones were extremely rare ten years ago. Aldo was a great here and deserved the decision imo, but imagine what a younger Jose Aldo at 135 would be? He would be a goddamn menace.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Say what you will about his weight cut...Jose Aldo still has some of the prettiest and cleanest offensive firepower in MMA history. 

He hits so hard.  It's one thing to land that one big shot that puts a guy out, but being able to make your opponent stop and think, "fuck that hurt," after every shot is a whole other.  He's one of the best ever, and his ability to get his opponent to stop and reset with a single strike won him a whole lot of fights.

• Like 1

That was a pretty dope takedown, and I'd suggest that she'd keep wrestling for the rest of the fight.  The stand up can go either way, but Nunes is head and shoulders better on the ground.  Keep her on her back and this is a cake walk, standing can go either way.