DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame - Class of 2020

RIPPA

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I guess, but if pretty good gets in, almost everyone should get in.  Steve Blackman was a 6 time Hardcore Champion, that's pretty good.  Hardcore Holly was a 6 time Hardcore Champion and a 3 time Tag Team Champion...he's a lock.  D-Lo Brown was the first and only Euro-continental Champion, he should definitely be in.  Why even have a Hall of Fame if, "He had a pretty good run," is a valid reason for someone to be inducted?

"Sir, I have a Mr. Angle on Line 1, and a Mr. Jarrett on Line 2..."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

I guess, but if pretty good gets in, almost everyone should get in.  Steve Blackman was a 6 time Hardcore Champion, that's pretty good.  Hardcore Holly was a 6 time Hardcore Champion and a 3 time Tag Team Champion...he's a lock.  D-Lo Brown was the first and only Euro-continental Champion, he should definitely be in.  Why even have a Hall of Fame if, "He had a pretty good run," is a valid reason for someone to be inducted?

Because "less than pretty good" has been able to get in many, many times in the WWE Hall of Fame already.

Shit, Bob Orton Jr., Koko B. Ware, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Torrie Wilson, and Hillbilly Jim all never tasted a championship in WWE, and all five of them made the Hall of Fame. If you really think JBL, a former WWE World Champion, is somehow less deserving of a Hall of Fame induction than five people who couldn't even merit a title reign at any level in WWE whatsoever, then you're just biased.

If there's any rules surrounding this, then a bare minimum is "you were the World Champion in WWF/E or WCW (and I'd be able to consider ECW for the same logic), you belong in the HOF." No excuses otherwise- David Arquette? Sure, throw him in the celebrity wing. Vince Russo? If they ever induct backstage workers, sure. Chris Benoit? Well, it's a minefield no one wants to go into, but I prefer to go with the earlier said "well, all of the NWO are technically in" argument to sidestep that minefield by saying "well, they inducted the Four Horsemen, he was inducted in the backdoor that way and we don't have to worry anymore."

• Like 1

You lot are nuts some time, of course JBL is deserving to be in the WWE HoF!

• company man
  • one of the most over tag teams in the Attitude era
  • great promo
  • longest title reign in Smackdown history
  • one of the big main eventers/characters of the Ruthless Aggression era (which WWE has suddenly started placing importance on)
  • friends in high places
  • philanthropist
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Shit, Bob Orton Jr., Koko B. Ware, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Torrie Wilson, and Hillbilly Jim all never tasted a championship in WWE, and all five of them made the Hall of Fame. If you really think JBL, a former WWE World Champion, is somehow less deserving of a Hall of Fame induction than five people who couldn't even merit a title reign at any level in WWE whatsoever, then you're just biased.

First, I'd like to say that I'm not actually all that invested in the WWE Hall of Fame and who is and isn't worthy.  With that said, Hillbilly Jim is the only one of those people I don't see how they got inducted.  Bob Orton Jr. was one of the best workers of his time and was a prominent part of Wrestlemania I.  Koko B. Ware was fun and memorable.  JIm Duggan was an incredibly over babyface for one  of their most successful runs.  Torrie Wilson was finer than a muhfucka.  Hillbilly Jim was just a dude in overalls.    

JBL had a good career, and is more deserving than anyone above, but if this was a credible hall of fame he wouldn't get in. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Jim gets in easily for his twenty years of backstage work too. So could Brawler.

Name one hall of fame worthy thing he's done working in the office. 

Am I crazy?  I honestly don't get why, "that dude worked in an office for 20 years," is an accomplishment.  I've worked for my job for going on 13 years, and let me tell you, if I work here for another 7 I'm not going into any kind of hall of fame.  The entire world is filled with people who have worked in an office for 20 years.  That's not an accomplishment.  Shouldn't you have to do something special to end up in a hall of fame?  I get it, they just put whoever they want in their hall of fame, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't call these things out as nonsensical.  Hillbilly Jim is just a guy.  He can be the nicest man on earth, have perfect attendance, and have the cleanest desk...but that doesn't make him a hall of famer.  

3 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

You lot are nuts some time, of course JBL is deserving to be in the WWE HoF!

• one of the big main eventers/characters of the Ruthless Aggression era (which WWE has suddenly started placing importance on)

They finally figured out that the Attitude Era guys are too fucking old to still do stuff, so now it's go with the Ruthless Aggression era guys as their Stars of Yesteryear.

59 minutes ago, Raziel said:

They finally figured out that the Attitude Era guys are too fucking old to still do stuff, so now it's go with the Ruthless Aggression era guys as their Stars of Yesteryear.

Isn't Goldberg wrestling next week?

I just looked at a list of every WWE Champion.  I have to say, if JBL in, the only two WWE champions who I can't see making it are Alberto Del Rio and Jinder Mahal.  The next tier of WWE Champions are The MIz and JBL, Stan Stasiak, Jeff Hardy, and RVD...and I forsee all of them being in.  I think Kofi gets in, but I think he would have been in without his championship run.  The New Day has done enough to be a Hall of Fame tag team/stable.  

Also, if S.D. Jones is in, everyone should get in.

I could see it, because the list for people who've held the World Title (either WWE or WHC) is kind of set:

28 former World Champs are already in the HOF: Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan, Bob Backlund, Pedro Morales,  Bret Hart, Triple H, Steve Austin, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Kurt Angle, Billy Graham, Ultimate Warrior, Yokozuna,, Edge, Eddie Guerrero, Ric Flair, Sgt. Slaughter, Mankind,  Buddy Rogers, Iron Sheik, Stan Stasiak, Ted DiBiase, Antonio Inoki, Andre the Giant, Mark Henry, Goldberg.  Batista's already been announced this year, and assuming JBL is in, that's 30.

That leaves 32 World Champions who are not in the Hall right now. 

We can safely assume it's a lock the following will one day be inducted:  Vince McMahon, John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, The Rock, Undertaker, Big Show, Jeff Hardy, Kane, Rey Mysterio, Christian. That brings it down to 21. 

We can assume as well, due to extenuating circumstances- Chris Jericho and Rob Van Dam will probably go in eventually when their careers are over and they leave their current promotion (19), and Dean Ambrose will probably also go in one day either alone or with the Shield when his career ends (18...and assuming it's the Shield that knocks Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns off, so 16.)  In addition, his work on WWE Backstage makes it suddenly possible CM Punk could get inducted one day (15.) 

Eight World Champions can be considered currently active and show no signs of stopping: AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Jinder Mahal, The Miz, Bray Wyatt, and Dolph Ziggler, Of that list, only Jinder doesn't seem like they'll be HOF-worthy by the time their career ends.

Counting Mahal, that leaves a list of potential World Champs to miss the HOF as low as: Sid (and he seems like he'll eventually go in), Ivan Koloff (surprising he hasn't been a Legacy HOFer yet), Chris Benoit (obvious minefield there, and as I said the Four Horsemen clause can count it),  The Great Khali (...somehow, I think he's a future throw-in HOFer to  build up a class).

Leaving- the only two World Champions who don't seem to be Hall of Fame-worthy as Jinder Mahal and Jack Swagger. which...kind of seems appropriate somehow.

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Leaving- the only two World Champions who don't seem to be Hall of Fame-worthy as Jinder Mahal and Jack Swagger. which...kind of seems appropriate somehow.

You somehow forgot Del Rio, who I mentioned above, but I agree with everything else.  Sid is someone I'm kind of surprised isn't in, but then again...I can see him never going in, just because no one wants to deal with him.  I'd kind of like them to announce him, only for him to hold out for more money on the day of the ceremony.  

Y'all are looking at it backwards. JBL is a shoe-in for the WWE Hall of Fame for all the reasons he is a Hall of Fame candidate for Lifetime Asshole. He's a Fox News talking head who sexually assaulted people in the locker room and beat up a guy for no reason while drunk on the job. Going by those reasons why shouldn't he be in? 

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Y'all are looking at it backwards. JBL is a shoe-in for the WWE Hall of Fame for all the reasons he is a Hall of Fame candidate for Lifetime Asshole. He's a Fox News talking head who sexually assaulted people in the locker room and beat up a guy for no reason while drunk on the job. Going by those reasons why shouldn't he be in? 

Love this. Let’s conveniently ignore his community work in Bermuda, the youth rugby team he set up there, piloting a programme to provide meals to impoverished kids in Malawi and setting up a sports facility there too for stuff that possibly happened decades ago instead 

14 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

Love this. Let’s conveniently ignore his community work in Bermuda, the youth rugby team he set up there, piloting a programme to provide meals to impoverished kids in Malawi and setting up a sports facility there too for stuff that possibly happened decades ago instead 

I would think it's possible for somebody to do great deeds yet still be quite an asshole.  He deserves credit for the good he's doing but that doesn't mean I have to like the guy.

And yes he does deserve to be in the HOF due to his resume.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I think the issue is that he deserves credit, but very few on the board are willing to give it to him.

Holding JBL accountable for bullying wrestlers in the early 00's is totally justified - as long as you hold people like Benoit and others responsible for doing that kind of thing, too, and I don't really see much of that. The level of vitriol directed at JBL seems to be based on 1. His cozy relationship with Vince, 2. His politics, and 3. Him not "deserving" to be the one to take the title off Eddy. This level of hatred towards him didn't exist prior to mid-2004, and then it was suddenly at fever pitch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Who cares really? The validity of the Hall of Fame ended years ago, but I’ll just say that it ended when a man with a talking parrot was inducted, just to annoy people. 

Especially this guy: 

ED9xMnuX4AAwzYp?format=jpg&name=small

14 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I could see Santino making it one year if they need to fill out a class.

And Santina just had that spot in the Royale Rumble, so we know she’s on good enough terms with the company that they’ll let her induct her brother.

• Haha 1