DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame - Class of 2020

RIPPA

I don't like JBL, and was going to make a case for him not going in. But let's face it, this is the "Vince McMahon likes you" HoF, so he was pretty much inevitable. And it's not like he's getting inducted into any other Hall of Fame any time soon. Or indeed ever. I don't see many Meltzer HoF voters supporting him, or Cauliflower Alley.

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

I don't like JBL, and was going to make a case for him not going in. But let's face it, this is the "Vince McMahon likes you" HoF, so he was pretty much inevitable. And it's not like he's getting inducted into any other Hall of Fame any time soon. Or indeed ever. I don't see many Meltzer HoF voters supporting him, or Cauliflower Alley.

I don't really see a case for JBL.  He was there for a long time and eventually got into the main event.  Is that enough?  He didn't have some sort of all-time great run.  His main event run wasn't even that long.  He was just a guy for the vast majority of his career.  

I thought his '04-'06 run was pretty good. Chalk a lot of that up to a ton of great opponents, but he held up his end in matches and promos too. Considering what we all know the WWE HoF to be, there are worse choices. 

Maybe play it safe and don't include him hunting border crossers in his highlight video. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

Yeah - just in the WWE kayfabe world, He is an (original format) Grand Slam Champion

That pretty much ensures induction (putting aside issues that you die before inducted or Vince hates you)

14 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yep, me too, and that's why he shouldn't be in the hall of fame.  

I get what you're saying. But it's this HoF. I can see the case for a guy who had a pretty decent main event run in the company it's meant to be the HoF for when they just recently inducted Rikishi. 

If it was a proper Hall, the answer would be fuck no and please never ask again. But as part of the annual circlejerk for people who are on good terms with the company? *shrug*  

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I get what you're saying. But it's this HoF. I can see the case for a guy who had a pretty decent main event run in the company it's meant to be the HoF for when they just recently inducted Rikishi. 

If it was a proper Hall, the answer would be fuck no and please never ask again. But as part of the annual circlejerk for people who are on good terms with the company? *shrug*  

I guess, but if pretty good gets in, almost everyone should get in.  Steve Blackman was a 6 time Hardcore Champion, that's pretty good.  Hardcore Holly was a 6 time Hardcore Champion and a 3 time Tag Team Champion...he's a lock.  D-Lo Brown was the first and only Euro-continental Champion, he should definitely be in.  Why even have a Hall of Fame if, "He had a pretty good run," is a valid reason for someone to be inducted?

Just now, supremebve said:

I guess, but if pretty good gets in, almost everyone should get in.  Steve Blackman was a 6 time Hardcore Champion, that's pretty good.  Hardcore Holly was a 6 time Hardcore Champion and a 3 time Tag Team Champion...he's a lock.  D-Lo Brown was the first and only Euro-continental Champion, he should definitely be in.  Why even have a Hall of Fame if, "He had a pretty good run," is a valid reason for someone to be inducted?

Because it's less about celebrating greatness than marketing nostalgia for people who are in the club. Considering the form the WWE HoF has taken, I'd induct Santino. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - just in the WWE kayfabe world, He is an (original format) Grand Slam Champion

That pretty much ensures induction (putting aside issues that you die before inducted or Vince hates you)

Finding out he held the European title bums me out for some inexplicable reason. 

Just now, Dewar said:

It's an excuse for some workers to get a payday, and for fans to hear some speeches. Any deeper thought into the criteria is about as useful as pissing into a 30 kilometre an hour wind. 

I agree, but if we're going to discuss it, we should actually discuss it.  

I'm fine with all of the inductees so far, but it's a bummer that Vader still hasn't been inducted. I thought he would have been after he passed, but it's starting to feel like it will never happen.

• Like 1

Speaking from a strictly kayfabe point of view, between the end of Diesel's reign on November 15, 1995 and the start of John Cena's 3rd reign on September 17, 2006, JBL had the longest WWE title reign in that entire decade long stretch.

Throw in 3 tag title reigns, multiple hardcore title reigns, and the IC, US, and European belts all once, that's a strong Hall of Fame resume.

He's also an asshole

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Yeah, putting JBL on the same level as Blackman, D'Lo, and Holly is just incorrect. Those guys didn't get main event runs. 

Jokes, man.  I think JBL had a good career, and his main event run was a great reward the time that he put in.  That's a hell of an accomplishment.  Hall of Fame...nah.