DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NCAAF: GOIN' BOWLING

tystates

Just now, Oyaji said:

Receiver fell down, didn't he?

Receiver planted and headed towards the corner of the end zone and fell, because he assumed the QB had to be scrambling at that point. Unlucky for the QB. he didn't do anything wrong.

• Like 1

The end of regulation in WKU/WMU was like a Chinese fire drill.   WKU kept trying to confuse WMU and trick them into getting a penalty for too many men of the field (a la the Iron Bowl) by running their offense and special teams on and off the field.  But in the end, everybody got confused, even the officials, and WMU got away with having 12 on the field.

Being reviewed now because everyone is losing their minds,

EDIT:  WMU was penalized and WKU got to try a FG 5 yards closed and nailed it.  I imagine there’s gonna be some kind of new rule that blocks offenses from doing that pretty soon.

Edited by EVA

Saban made some great adjustments at halftime to salvage that game.  That said, if Shea Patterson could throw a deep ball AT ALL, it might’ve been a bit more interesting in the 2nd half.

Kinda reminded me of a pre-Jalen/Tua Bama win, just gradually grinding out a decisive win rather than boat racing the opposition out of the gate.  If Tua doesn’t come back (which is apparently not a given, from what I hear), I’ll gave to get used to that again.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

Saban made some great adjustments at halftime to salvage that game.  That said, if Shea Patterson could throw a deep ball AT ALL, it might’ve been a bit more interesting in the 2nd half.

Kinda reminded me of a pre-Jalen/Tua Bama win, just gradually grinding out a decisive win rather than boat racing the opposition out of the gate.  If Tua doesn’t come back (which is apparently not a given, from what I hear), I’ll gave to get used to that again.

Michigan completely changed their gameplan in the second half for no reason. They dominated running the ball then stopped running the ball. Combine that with Patterson being wildly inaccurate and you get Michigan losing by 3 touchdowns in a game they should have won. 

Edited by Tabe

Speaking of Harbaugh being a joke, I couldn’t help but laugh at him calling for his team to clock the ball with 1 second left, down 19-points, just because he got his khakis in a wad over Saban scoring that last TD instead of taking a knee.  So petty.

And then his dude threw an interception.

18 hours ago, hammerva said:

With all the talk about whether Georgia would put out some effort with all of the "injuries" and "issues",  it doesn't really matter because Baylor doesn't have the guys so far to put up a fight. 

Big XII just doesn't have the line play or the defenses anymore to be competitive. They have great skill players and little else.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Bama/Michigan did 14 million viewers, making it ABC’s most watched bowl game since the 2010 national title game.  Not bad for a “meaningless” bowl game.

Right and that's a great number but I do remember you saying the Alabama/Utah game was maybe not meaningless but that the players didn't care years back,  I have no idea how hard the kids are trying but I'll say this. I watched Florida and Virginia and they were laying it all out on the field from my point of view.  I felt Oregon/Wisconsin were going all out too. 

9 hours ago, EVA said:

Bama/Michigan did 14 million viewers, making it ABC’s most watched bowl game since the 2010 national title game.  Not bad for a “meaningless” bowl game.

For all Michigan has slipped out of the upper echelon of the sport, they are still a major draw. This is basically a dream match for a mid tier bowl.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EVA said:

Take into account that there was only two bowl games in that time slot this year when there's normally three, the bowl it was up against featured Auburn and Minnesota who no one outside of their diehard fans care about. The Winter Classic also had two dud teams when it comes to pulling in a national audience. 

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Right and that's a great number but I do remember you saying the Alabama/Utah game was maybe not meaningless but that the players didn't care years back,  I have no idea how hard the kids are trying but I'll say this. I watched Florida and Virginia and they were laying it all out on the field from my point of view.  I felt Oregon/Wisconsin were going all out too. 

I’m talking about “meaningless” from a public perspective, not from the teams.  The narrative for the last couple of years had been that nobody cares about any of the bowls besides the playoffs (and the Rose).  Well, 14 million people cared about this one.  There are no small parts, just small actors, and there are no meaningless bowls, just meaningless bowl matchups.  If you give people matchups they want to see (which was the whole *point* of these games to begin with), they’ll tune in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

North Dakota State holds off James Madison 28-20 to finish 16-0 (first NCAA school in any division to pull that off since Yale in 1894) and claim their eighth FCS title in the last nine seasons. They extend their FCS winning streak to 37 straight games.

Oh, and they open next season at OREGON. This program has balls of titanium.

• Like 2