DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - WINTER 2020

The Natural

The weird thing is Liverpool haven't really delivered the beatings, Man City had a much better goal difference this time last season. Liverpool's has improved only marginally.

The two year ban, assuming it does go ahead, definitely shakes things up, but first and foremost gives Liverpool an opportunity to dominate for a few years. Hard to imagine Chelsea, or anyone else, buying their way into contention now - it's too risky. Leicester might be fancying themselves though.

And you can redouble the amount of shit the Liverpool faithful are going to give City fans in April.......

And United fans. Because in their latest act of goalpost moving, they've said that in order to be equal to the top, top side Man U were under Fergie, you have to win the League three times in a row. 

But now, if City are having a talent exodus for two years, suddenly Liverpool have significantly less competition.

Some journos are pushing this as the start of the super league. I don't think supporters will get behind that idea and would revolt. This should've happened in the '90s but better late than never. Next up PSG and Barcelona. 

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Some journos are pushing this as the start of the super league. I don't think supporters will get behind that idea and would revolt. This should've happened in the '90s but better late than never. Next up PSG and Barcelona. 

I remember when I first bought a FIFA game on N64 in the lead up to the 1998 world cup. The game had a theoretical Super League that the top teams had already been proposing for a few years, and here we are, it's still just an idea.

I don't know that it will ever really happen, because then it means someone has to finish last and then the shine comes off the idea real fast. Champions League is already big enough as is. And if people think the schedule is too congested now...

I brought that up the other day. How will traditional powers (& their fans) feel about finishing at the bottom of the table? From afar,  Its how I imagine Italian rugby fans feel watching the six nations. Are they ever not last? 

30 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I remember when I first bought a FIFA game on N64 in the lead up to the 1998 world cup. The game had a theoretical Super League that the top teams had already been proposing for a few years, and here we are, it's still just an idea.

I don't know that it will ever really happen, because then it means someone has to finish last and then the shine comes off the idea real fast. Champions League is already big enough as is. And if people think the schedule is too congested now...

I always assumed if they went to a Super League format, they are no longer playing in their own country's league or cups, and the Champions League/Europa League. So they could conceivably only play 38 matches a year if they went to a 20 team Super League, and less games if they had less teams. 

• Like 1

That's exactly what they're going to do for now, long term this could be a serious push towards a super league. Fuck anybody that isn't an old school die hard City fan going to those matches. Circumventing pricks. 

That was such a no brainer transfer but I am thinking he and his father felt it best to go somewhere he can get minutes, slightly out of the spotlight, and it wouldn't be a big cultural shift. He also finds the media tiresome, so going to England or Spain would suck. Dortmund was perfect for him as he is perfect for Dortmund.

Atletico/Liverpool went about as expected. Salah had two good chances and squandered them both. Hard to generate clear cut opportunities against such a side protecting the lead. These next three weeks will feel like an eternity. 

Edited by Oyaji

Depending on how pragmatic he is his old man probably wants him nowhere near Man Utd either. Bad blood, and all that.

PSG's gameplan still appears to be "give it to the famous boys and let them do something". Whether or not they can ever be corralled into an actual team remains to be seen, would be an absurd waste of talent if not.

Who thinks going from Manuel Pellegrini to David Moyes in 2020 is an upgrade? West Ham look like a relegation side and they deserve every bit of it. I hate not having them in the top division but fuck that shit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Who thinks going from Manuel Pellegrini to David Moyes in 2020 is an upgrade? West Ham look like a relegation side and they deserve every bit of it. I hate not having them in the top division but fuck that shit. 

I'm wanting West Ham United to go down as well pretty much because of the owners. 

Bonus:

On 2/18/2020 at 11:12 PM, odessasteps said:

The myth of Haaland keeps growing. 

When I saw a bit of him in the Austrian Bundesliga in fall I was just amazed. That speed combined with the way he can control and cover the ball is just astonishing.

I heard he did a 60 meter sprint against PSG in something like 6.64 s, which is just amazing (the track world record is not that much fast, though obviously he did not a cold start, so the comparison is not 100% accurate).

22 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

St. Pauli won the Hamburg City Derby at HSV 2-0 (first leg at home was the same result), avenging last season's 0-4 blow out loss. Good job, now please keep up the work, no need to get relegated. 

57,000 for second division footy. Unreal.

• Like 1