DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 7: Overeem vs. Rozenstruik (12/7/2019) - Washington, D.C. (Capital One Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

EJqkdqcW4AAS-uv.jpeg?1574109448

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 7: Overeem vs. Rozenstruik 
December 7, 2019
Washington, D.C. (Capital One Arena)

Alistair Overeem (248) vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik (250.5) - Rozenstruik, KO (punch), R5 (4:56)
Marina Rodriguez (115.5) vs. Cynthia Calvillo (120.5)** - DRAW (majority)
Stefan Struve (265.3) vs. Ben Rothwell (265.2) - Rothwell, TKO (punches), R2 (4:57)
Aspen Ladd (136) vs. Yana Kunitskaya (135.1) - Ladd, TKO (punches), R3 (0:33)
Cody Stamann (135.2) vs. Song Yadong (135.2) - DRAW (majority)
Rob Font (135.1) vs. Ricky Simón (135.2) - Font, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Thiago Alves (171) vs. Tim Means (171) - Means, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:38)
Billy Quarantillo (145.2) vs. Jacob Kilburn (145.3) - Quarantillo, SUB (triangle choke), R2 (3:18)
Bryce Mitchell (145.2) vs. Matt Sayles (148.5)* - Mitchell, SUB (twister), R1 (4:20)
Joe Solecki (155.6) vs. Matt Wiman (155.3) - Solecki, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Virna Jandiroba (115) vs. Mallory Martin (115.5) - Jandiroba, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:16)
Trevor Smith (185.5) vs. Makhmud Muradov (185.3) - Muradov, KO (punch), R3 (4:09)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Makhmud Muradov
Performance of the Night: Bryce Mitchell
Fight of the Night: Rob Font vs. Ricky Simón

Attendance: 10,816
Gate$932,593
Rating: 1.1 million viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Cláudia Gadelha vs. Cynthia Calvillo - Gadelha Withdrew From Bout 
Cortney Casey vs. Virna Jandiroba - Casey Withdrew From Bout  
Alistair Overeem vs. Walt Harris - Harris Withdrew From Bout 
Alonzo Menifield vs. Trevor Smith - Menifield Withdrew From Bout 
Carlos Condit vs. Mickey Gall - Injury to Condit (Detached Retina) 
Virna Jandiroba vs. Lívia Renata Souza - Injury to Souza (Back)
Chris Fishgold vs. Billy Quarantillo - Fishgold Withdrew From Bout 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Good to see Aspen Ladd's name on a fight card following that loss to GdR following that disastrous weight cut.  I hope she's back to 100%.

I'm also happy to see that they got someone to fight my girl, Cynthia Calvillo.  I really wanted to see that scrap between her and Cláudia Gadelha, though.  I'm a fan of both ladies, so watching them brawl would be bittersweet.

I'm excited to see which Reem shows up to fight Jairzinho Rozenstruik.  Will it be Paycheck Reem or I Decided To Fight Tonight Reem?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Interesting that you would pick that fight for the Reem showcase vid since Jairzinho Rozenstruik's last win was a KO over Arlovski that only took like 30 seconds or so.

Edited by J.T.

43 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Good to see Aspen Ladd's name on a fight card following that loss to GdR following that disastrous weight cut.  I hope she's back to 100%.

I'm also happy to see that they got someone to fight my girl, Cynthia Calvillo.  I really wanted to see that scrap between her and Cláudia Gadelha, though.  I'm a fan of both ladies, so watching them brawl would be bittersweet.

I'm excited to see which Reem shows up to fight Jairzinho Rozenstruik.  Will it be Paycheck Reem or I Decided To Fight Tonight Reem?

I don't think Overeem's problem has been motivation. His problem has been getting hit squarely in the face. But what I find intriguing about Overeem is in the lead up to the Ngannou fight (and I stated as much in the 218 event thread IIRC) is that he was working on his punch resistance using a neck harness to strengthen his neck (which is a bit hilarious given Overeem had muscles before he got huge). Ultimately we see it didn't work, but I thought it was actually insightful and different to see someone working on an known issue that most fighters would be afraid to admit. With that said, he is a much better overall fighter than Rozenstruik and fought much tougher competition even if Arlovski is a common opponent like you brought up. He should beat Rozenstruik who is basically black Shane Carwin. The guy hasn't been required to do very much other than be better than an ancient Andrei Arlovski. There are several heavyweight boxers still floating around from the late 90s/early 00s who end up fighting prospects, but other than the weird lineage of the regular/interim WBA belt with Trevor Bryan/Fres Qquendo/Manuel Charr/BJ Flores in the last five years, beating those guys means absolutely nothing as far as being a legit contender. It's beating the guys who are a step up from that whether they be contemporaries who have shown themselves to be solid or veterans who still have something left that means something. Arlovski is clearly in category A of the old guys while Overeem still very much in category B for the time being. If Alistair stays standing and conscious, I think we're going to see that play out unless Jairzinho has made great strides.

• Like 1

Yeah, Reem hasn't been the same fighter since those back to back KO loses against Silva and Browne.  He's regained a lot of confidence in his chin recently, but once you get your bell rung really good, there's not much you can do.  

Neck strength training is supposed to work allegedly, but ultimately I think it's best to establish good habits in your fight game like remembering to bite down on your mouth guard while keeping your chin tucked and either work on your defense or offensive speed.   Dudes cannot punch you if you're the one getting your punches off first.

Edited by J.T.

And now I remember being upset because I got put on swing shift for this training exercise in Korea, so I couldn't go to the fight with my homies that are headed up to DC for the weekend.

Oh, well.  Things should be on and poppin' when I get off at 2330 on Saturday night.  I should get to the local B-Dubs just in time to watch the main event fight on the east side of the restaurant and Ruiz vs. Joshua II on the television on the west side.

Edited by J.T.

• jaedmc pinned this topic

You think they are going to fire a fighter with good potential and can talk well because she's failed to make weight? That is both harsh and absurd. If anything, she could bump up a class. 

I dunno but I'm getting a little tired of the moralizing going on here between the Beatdown Bus and wanting people to get fired for missing weight. This ridiculous weight cutting problem is symptomatic of the terrible system in place more so than individual fighters. Just go to the One system where it is based off of hydration levels and fighters fight near their walking weight. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

You think they are going to fire a fighter with good potential and can talk well because she's failed to make weight? That is both harsh and absurd. If anything, she could bump up a class. 

I dunno but I'm getting a little tired of the moralizing going on here between the Beatdown Bus and wanting people to get fired for missing weight. This ridiculous weight cutting problem is symptomatic of the terrible system in place more so than individual fighters. Just go to the One system where it is based off of hydration levels and fighters fight near their walking weight. 

I think that would only happen if you saw a whole lot of people turn down those fights instead of the extra % of their opponent's purse, or the commission didn't let those fights happen even if the non offending fighter agreed to a compromise. If it's just one or two people every other card, they're not going to be concerned at all.

• Like 1

Solid card, looking forward to it, especially one of my top favs Aspen Ladd hopefully bouncing back from last time, and Mallory Martin making her UFC debut. Sad that Cynthia missed weight by so much, but her and Rodriguez should be a good scrap.

The two bantamweight fights on the main card should be fun. Might be a small mini tournament because Font is pissed that Stamann didn't want to fight after an injury forced Stamann out of a fight between the two that was suppose to go down on the Moicano vs. TKZ card back in June. Stamann already derailed the career of one prospect in Tom Duquesnoy...can he do that with Song Yadong?

I wouldn't go as far as calling Virna Jandiroba the female Demian Maia like the Brazilian MMA media did prior to her Invicta stint, but Jandiroba will be head and shoulders above most women on the ground.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We have a new face to watch at middleweight

That may have been the smoothest head feint hook I have seen in a long time. 

I'm at work, so I am missing the prelims.  What Muradov showed Smith earlier in that fight to get him to bite on that poisoned apple?  Smith was obviously expecting to counter with that left hook when he got KTFOed.

Edited by J.T.