DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Hey maybe it’ll play out that Blade and Butcher, Dark Order and Brandi are all part of the SAME cult, and we get some big higher power reveal that of course has to be Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan, thereby connecting the AEW, TNA and WCW dark underworlds canonically and of course it’s later revealed that the new Even Higher Power, replacing King Curtis, is Meng.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Hey maybe it’ll play out that Blade and Butcher, Dark Order and Brandi are all part of the SAME cult, and we get some big higher power reveal that of course has to be Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan, thereby connecting the AEW, TNA and WCW dark underworlds canonically and of course it’s later revealed that the new Even Higher Power, replacing King Curtis, is Meng.

Someone brought up this idea somewhere else, can't remember where. The general idea is that someone in the background is orchestrating these groups and attacks on the Elite and then that someone is eventually revealed to be Marty Scurll and he's doing this out of revenge for saying they're his friend and leaving him behind. As a true villain, he's masterminded all of these groups to chip away at the Bucks, Cody, Page, etc. It was all basically proposed as a long, comic book-y or MCU type of storyline.

I liked the sound of it.

• Like 5

Thoughts from the show:

- Liked the new set with the bigger screen, looks cleaner. I prefer if they kept the big ramp for PPV or special shows but I don't mind if it becomes standard just to look a bit different from WWE.

- Opener was the best match of the night, everyone looked great. Ortiz's "SUCK MY BIG CO..." while running towards one of the YB got a big laugh from me (and the crowd).

- Trent and Fenix was pretty good. I liked the aftermatch with Trent asking for a handshake, Fenix being an asshole and Trent taking no shit, looked good.

- I loved the stupid "That's Adam Cole's girlfriend!" bit, i'm sure everyone involved got a good laugh out of that. This was one of the most effective Nyla's squashes so far, short and to the point.

- Jericho's segment was glorious as always. He perfectly lets the crowd cheer the list for a second before putting them down.

- Shida ?.

- I like that they are featuring Shanna and Statlander because they are quite good. The women's division is really starting to pick up after they stopped focusing on Brit. Didn't care for Brandi's bit and it does feel like there's too many dark cults going on.

- Pentagon and Daniels was kind of boring. I would have skipped this match and use the 10 min to air a couple of promos or updates of other guys not featured on the show like MJF, Omega, Page, etc.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Funniest thing about Jericho's promo was the news that he sold so many bottles of his bubbly. Wrestling fans will open their wallets for literally anything. 

Funny you mention that.  As he was out there talking about The Bubbly I went to the site and it seemed to have crashed to some degree.  And yes I did order two bottles because while I won't open my wallet for literally everything with New Year's coming and some friends in on the meme it seemed like an easy decision to me.  That and Jericho's fucking awesome.

I knew there'd be some episodes that didn't work and last week's was one of them.  But AEW has built up so much goodwill that I was willing to let that slide.  Thankfully this was a pretty good one.  While I'm not sure why Pentagon/CD didn't work I did like the other matches.  Dustin not only held his own but was the one I remember most from the 6-man.  The Destroyer he  did in particular had me flipping out.  The guy has been through a lot and is nothing short of an inspiration.

As for Butcher, Blade and Bunny I heard about them but am curious to see how they fare in AEW.  I get a huge kick out of the fact that Braxton Sutter is now Blade and is on TV with his wife Allie.  That's some married couple goals right there.  And Andy looks like the living definition of the word "Burly".  I loved him in Bloodsport and am curious to see how good he is.  Shit, I may even check out some of his band despite me being very out of the loop with today's music.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Shit, I may even check out some of his band despite me being very out of the loop with today's music.

I'm gonna sound like a hipster asshole but their best records IMO are from '03 and '05 so I wouldn't beat myself up about being out of the loop

Also, just so everyone knows I'm not a total fanboy gushing about everything AEW, I'll put out two minor nitpicks about the show I forgot to post about on Wed cause I was falling asleep:

1) For most of that Dark Order vignette, Evil Uno's clip-on lavaliere mic is pretty visible on his collar

2) from my girlfriend about one of the backstage segments with Nyla "Nice to see even The Native Beast has her UGGs ready for the cold weather"

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

2) from my girlfriend about one of the backstage segments with Nyla "Nice to see even The Native Beast has her UGGs ready for the cold weather"

I mean, she's not Samoan. She needs something for her feet in December.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, hammerva said:

So Britt Baker is going from "Do you know she is a dentist" to the person who is always in the front row always shocked at things.  Not sure who started it but there is no a Britt Baker Challenge on Twitter

it's a way to keep her on tv and not expose her lack of wrestling and/or commentary skills.  

• Like 1

AEW: 851,000 NXT: 845,000

Alvarez mentioned that the NXT rating actually trended downward as the show went on, likely due to people tuning in expecting main roster talent and then tuning out when they realized they weren't there.  Lends a lot of credence to the story someone here told about about one fan they knew being all about not wanting to watch "the minor leagues."  I feel like that's WWE's key demo.  The good news is, they believe WWE IS wrestling, so they'll watch the main shows religiously.  The bad news is, they believe WWE IS wrestling, so WWE's other stuff probably won't get much views from them unless it's artificially propped up like it was in the last week or two.

It reminds me of a guy I saw at  a party once.  He was drinking a Bud and literally ranting about how he'd NEVER drink a microbrew/craft beer.  American macros were all this guy knew, like, to him, Bud and the like define what beer is, and there's no way he'd go for some small time product no matter who told him it was good. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm gonna sound like a hipster asshole but their best records IMO are from '03 and '05 so I wouldn't beat myself up about being out of the loop

Not to be a contrarian, but I think they're one of the few bands to have quantifiably improved with every record. It's certainly an upward trend, their last one in 2016 was one of the best of the decade. It's also the most varied, so a perfect starting point. None of their albums are bad though, the first one is fun but unremarkable and then it's all 8/10 at worst.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

4 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Not to be a contrarian, but I think they're one of the few bands to have quantifiably improved with every record. It's certainly an upward trend, their last one in 2016 was one of the best of the decade. It's also the most varied, so a perfect starting point. None of their albums are bad though, the first one is fun but unremarkable and then it's all 8/10 at worst.

I'm partial to 2005's Gutter Phenomenom and 2009's New Junk Aesthetic, then 2016's Low Teens.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peck said:

I mean, she's not Samoan. She needs something for her feet in December.

Even if she were a Samoan, I support her wearing proper footwear in Winter.  They are a tropical people.  You Viking devils can have this fucking cold.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

Someone brought up this idea somewhere else, can't remember where. The general idea is that someone in the background is orchestrating these groups and attacks on the Elite and then that someone is eventually revealed to be Marty Scurll and he's doing this out of revenge for saying they're his friend and leaving him behind. As a true villain, he's masterminded all of these groups to chip away at the Bucks, Cody, Page, etc. It was all basically proposed as a long, comic book-y or MCU type of storyline.

I liked the sound of it.

It reminds me of the Chikara angle with Jimmy Jacobs leading the Flood, bringing back the rudo factions of the past to take down Chikara. Marty in Jimmy Jacobs role would be awesome.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I'd like to see them differentiate BBB as mercenaries instead of a cult. Kinda a more aggressive and less funny APA.

Awesome Kong is someone I love. Brandi is actually not a bad performer in the right role (babyface, actually being a brand officer, and, based on once on NJPW World, she's surprisingly good at color) but I wouldn't complain at all if this whole Nightmare Collective thing just vanished, or got wrapped up in two weeks. Especially because Kong sure seems washed physically.

This was a fun episode.  Not their best, but a nice bounce back after a ever so slightly off week.  Opening six man was pure 'fire' as they say.  Cody and Jericho with typically excellent promo segments.  Jungle Boy-Jericho: sign me up!  No question, Perry is gonna be a big draw in the not so distant future.  

Yeah, let's keep Trent in the tag ranks.  As an earlier poster menetioned they've got OC as the singles component in Best Friends waiting in the wings to ascend to the very top of the wrestling world.  

Kris Statlander is certainly one to watch.  Yeah, the Brandi segment didn't quite hit, and yeah there are two too many cultish acts, but it wasn't a long segment, and it was fine.  I didn't think it stole Statlander's thunder.  Brandi/Kong wanting her to join their group made her seem like a hot commodity (sorta).  Not a bad thing for an unknown.  I like Brandi on the mic, and tho this didn't entirely work, I'm still interested.  In part I find Brandi so stunningly attractive that, unlike the majority, I just like seeing her out there - tho, I have my limits and watching her wrestle is it.  I also like the idea of the gruesome twosome getting a third who can actually work a great match in 2019-20. 

Pentagon-Daniels was a bit messy.  Admittedly, I kinda got a kick out of seeing Daniels slow and sloppy performance.  This match proved that the Fallen Angel really has no business being a babyface.  His fired up Tito 85 (no disrespect, Tito was awesome) bullshit is so lame.  Strangely, when he went for that Arabian I could feel the big miss coming on - he looked so unsure.  I really hope this motivates him to get back to the top of his game.  I like to think there's some more gas in that 50 year old tank.  That said, he needs to get back into tags and preferably as a heel.

Mox-Janela was fun.  I loved that dive to the outside table onto Moxley camera miss - all impact.  Their pre-match promo segment was short and sweet and perfect.  This one suffered a bit from it's positioning.  Not a main event.  I like Joey, but I think he's better suited for a tag situation.  I see him as how Bill Watts saw Michael Hayes, and prefered to use him - more as a manager/wrestler.  His mic skills are undeniable, and he's got some in ring ability, but his mechanics leave a lot to be desired.  Kudos to whomever wrote  that hilarious line about Janela running the ropes like a kid winning a sixth place participation ribbon. I think it was @Oyaji that mentioned Moxley's shitty entrance music being comparable to Sports Center basketball highlight package generic rock music, and now I kinda love it too!  So thanks for that.

Not so much a complaint, but I feel like this week's episode missed too many of the company's key players.  I really think they need to figure out ways (PROMOS!!!) to keep all of their top stars on the show week in and week out.  It's especially important as they build up the product.  Pac, Kenny, MJF (yeah, that promo should absolutely have been on the show), the SCU (as in they are the tag champions) etc.  I see that Kenny is working Dark - why the fuck are they not promoting Dark on this grand stage?  It would take 30 seconds to run thru the matches happening.  Also, yeah, use the minimal amount of time it would take to show highlights of whatever the fuck they're doing on BTE etc.  For some of us BTE is sometimes (often enough) unwatchable, so if there's something of importance a highlight would be much appreciated.  Just run PiP during an entrance even.  Anyway, so thankful to have a super fun and sometimes thrilling weekly wrestling product again.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

Even if she were a Samoan, I support her wearing proper footwear in Winter.  They are a tropical people.  You Viking devils can have this fucking cold.

I never got used to Snuka wearing boots, in Japan and his late wwf run. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It reminds me of the Chikara angle with Jimmy Jacobs leading the Flood, bringing back the rudo factions of the past to take down Chikara. Marty in Jimmy Jacobs role would be awesome.

The other part of the proposal I saw was that in this scenario, Orange Cassidy becomes the  hero coming from the portal who no one suspects is coming, but he winds up joining folks like the portal heroes or Homicide or Steve Austin (although he would wind up turning again) in being the key to turning their respective wars/battles around.

Imagine the ungodly loud pop Cassidy would get coming out as the last person standing, none of the heels give him any respect and think he's a joke, and that's when he finally opens up a can of whoop ass on everyone and shows he can have no chill.

You'd have everyone dressing up like OC in the arena the next week.

• Like 2

Whatever happens Marty's coming in super hot.  I know he's the 'Villain', but I'd like to see him make a big save for the Codemeister General or be put in some sort of Jericho WWF debut type scenario.  Obviously the wider audience won't know him, but the live crowd will go bananas!!!

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I never got used to Snuka wearing boots, in Japan and his late wwf run. 

I agree on Snuka's late period booted WWF run.  The single strap jungle look didn't help matters.  But black boots, black tights, big fro, Brody tagging, early 80s heel Snuka was an unstoppable force, and I think I even prefer it to his mid-80s main event New York terriroty run.  Brody/Snuka, what a fucking team!  

I don't know how well it would work long term but Marty being behind all of the EEEEVYIL in AEW would be a really fun way to introduce him. Have him make the save for Cody and then stab him in the back like a true villain. One of the few ways I can think of having him debut as a heel potentially working. Nice idea, fellars.

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7

I don’t really know everything going on with Kris Statlander’s alien gimmick, but they should have her come out to The Faceless’ Planetary Duality. 

7 hours ago, alstein said:

Thinking about the MJF video and how it should have been on the show. It would have been awesome if they had played that as a commercial, with MJF "paying for the time", while a match was running like the other commercials.

I think I would enjoy MJF's bullshit entitlement gimmick if AEF played along with the illusion that he's loaded.

That's what makes his MLW stable's gimmick, The Dynasty, so hilarious with Holliday using his investment wizardry to make money and pour funds into Hammerstone's training and fitness regimen so that they always have a physical edge.

Someone needs to sit him down and explain that X-Pac Heat is not good heat.  You can be a heel without being a total asshole.

Edited by J.T.

I think there's a weird divide between the main event scene and midcard in AEW. Like the ME scene is a NJ/Crockett fusion and the midcard is total Lucha Underground. Most of the segments work well on their own, but it's bit jarring going back and forth between Jericho and Cody fire promos and Kris Statlander the alien or whatever the hell Brandi and Kong are doing.

But god damn, did Luchasaurus really bridge the gap there.

I enjoy watching Dynamite every week, but I do hope they smooth that stuff out and let the crazy gimmicks become a little more grounded. I actually think the Dark Order's internet radicalization was a good step toward that. Made everything about their hokey gimmick make a lot more sense and actually felt "dark" with the cult aspects instead of 2 dudes with a bunch of jobbers in masks popping up occasionally.

Also, the second after Jurassic Express' music hits he says "Marty". I thought oh he's going to say Jannetty, but in actuality, if you watch it again, you can see he concentrated on timing it as their music hits so that he would be interrupted before saying the surname. Obviously teasing Scurll. It was just fascinating to see that level of thought go in to a promo. You wouldn't get that intelligence in the other company.

• Like 3