DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

ELCDtEEXYAA2QR6.jpg

This was up for like half an hour before someone finally noticed and deleted it.

I can't think of any of the other examples right now, but I feel like they've had quite a few Twitter gaffes that could easily have been prevented.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

So does anyone else think Cody's playing a long con on the Inner Circle with MJF as his mole?

Interesting hypothesis, but MJF isn't in the Inner Circle. MJF is doing his own thing with Wardlow.

Just now, Craig H said:

Interesting hypothesis, but MJF isn't in the Inner Circle. MJF is doing his own thing with Wardlow.

That's why I was thinking long con, because it looked like he was trying to get an in with the group a couple of weeks back and they could circle around to it again.

46 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

ELCDtEEXYAA2QR6.jpg

This was up for like half an hour before someone finally noticed and deleted it.

I can't think of any of the other examples right now, but I feel like they've had quite a few Twitter gaffes that could easily have been prevented.

I'm not sure how true this is but I recall seeing that their socials are run by none other than Judge Jeff Jones

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It was maddening to see Shanna on AEW Dark explaining that she was set to retire in October because WWE saw nothing in her and Impact told her they didn't want her because "the camera adds 10 pounds." 

This is yet another example of why fans think that they'd be better at running a wrestling company than the people who actually run wrestling companies.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

A further note about the Assembly Hall: that photo that looks like a giant UFO? That's all seating, and the ground isn't the floor. The real ground, where the ring was, is four stories below that.

God damn that's nuts. Kind of a cool building in general. Thanks for the info man. It's not that it affects the stuffing and potatoes in any way for me -- I'm still unbelievably stoked for all things AEW -- it's just tough because it doesn't look great on TV (though I think it helped later in the show when they turned the lights down more) and because I worry certain folks are going to try and use those empty seats to further an anti-AEW agenda. Again, not that I care because I dig it no matter what, but no one likes to hear something they're really into get shit on.

Couple of things I enjoyed in the Lexicon of Le Champion: Allen Jones (shoutout to the short lived Y2AJ team) and Jericho stopping on Marty. We see what you did there! AEW have been doing a good job of almost randomly elevating people at different times, they’ve now paired Darby, Scorpio Sky and now Jungle Boy with Y2J. With each one, I know Jericho is retaining, but there is that slight feeling of “anyone can have an off night” or “anyone can have the night of their life”. That feeling comes from some of the results so far - Darby v Cody, private party v Bucks, even Best Friends v Lucha Bro’s. 

Speaking of the Lucha Bro’s, thought there were some nice moments in the Trent - Fenix match. Some really slick counters, especially in the opening changes. Love how Rey uses the ropes in such inventive ways, the through-the-ropes sweep of Trent’s legs was a highlight. 

Can see the point about some sameyness with dark order/nightmare collective and also with Kong/Nyla. Happy to see where it goes on all those fronts, even though I’m not sold on Nyla (worried she’s gonna hurt someone soon like she almost hurt Nakazawa). 

Not sure how to post links etc, but it’s weird that AEW posted a video to twitter of MJF saying he paid for butcher/blade/bunny. Surely that should have aired during the show?

Do we have younger posters here or are we all old farts?  I need to know whether the criticism "they need to put this stuff on Dynamite instead of Youtube, Twitter, etc!" is valid.  I expressed it myself, but I'm middle-aged.  Meltzer and Alvarez have expressed it, but they're older dudes as well.  Menawhile, podcasts like Indy til Infiniity talk a lot about younger fans' tendency to follow wrestling on multiple platforms and TV being less important than ever.  So, young folks of DVDVR (if there ARE any), is, say MJF's promo on Cody only being on Twitter as boneheaded a move as it seems?

Thanks,

Your old friend who was here when the board was green an no login was required

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

A further note about the Assembly Hall: that photo that looks like a giant UFO? That's all seating, and the ground isn't the floor. The real ground, where the ring was, is four stories below that.

As an alumnus of the University of Illinois who is married to a dirty Indiana Hoosier, I'd like to point out that our Assembly Hall was built first and thus, it is the real Assembly Hall.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Do we have younger posters here or are we all old farts?  I need to know whether the criticism "they need to put this stuff on Dynamite instead of Youtube, Twitter, etc!" is valid.  I expressed it myself, but I'm middle-aged.  Meltzer and Alvarez have expressed it, but they're older dudes as well.  Menawhile, podcasts like Indy til Infiniity talk a lot about younger fans' tendency to follow wrestling on multiple platforms and TV being less important than ever.  So, young folks of DVDVR (if there ARE any), is, say MJF's promo on Cody only being on Twitter as boneheaded a move as it seems?

Thanks,

Your old friend who was here when the board was green an no login was required

I think it's fine.  Nowadays, you're almost expected to follow something on multiple formats in order to really get it.  The highest-grossing movie of all time assumed that you'd seen 20+ movies previously in order to "truly" follow it.  The best show on tv right now (IMO), Watchmen, assumes knowledge of a 30+ year old text and has an entire website of supplemental materials that you need to read to "truly" follow it.  

That's why I hate WWE's insistence that it's audience can't remember anything that happened more than a week ago.  We live in an age where the biggest media successes are build on YEARS and YEARS of backstory.  People can keep up.  They love it, in fact.

• Like 3

You guys said it all already but I wanted to chime in that the women’s division is really coming together. Statlander winning was done really well and Shanna attacking Nyla was rad too. I need this Brandi thing to start working a little better. I think she’s going for a spooky, female Heenan family more than another cult but it’s hard to tell and two cults on one show is too many. Maybe they need a head booker instead of everyone booking their own stuff?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Log said:

I think it's fine.  Nowadays, you're almost expected to follow something on multiple formats in order to really get it.  The highest-grossing movie of all time assumed that you'd seen 20+ movies previously in order to "truly" follow it.  The best show on tv right now (IMO), Watchmen, assumes knowledge of a 30+ year old text and has an entire website of supplemental materials that you need to read to "truly" follow it.  

That's why I hate WWE's insistence that it's audience can't remember anything that happened more than a week ago.  We live in an age where the biggest media successes are build on YEARS and YEARS of backstory.  People can keep up.  They love it, in fact.

I think there's a happy middle ground. WWE's approach is nonsense. It eats time, it's dull and repetitive, and it assumes the audience has the mental capacity of a goldfish. That said, I find that internet stuff (even though a lot of shows are consumed via streaming and are thus "internet stuff," but I'm too lazy to think of a better way to articulate the distinction...) works best as supplemental content. The things you need to understand the show ought to be in the show proper, especially when it's seen by considerably more people than the supplemental content. As such, MJF declaring that B/B/B were aligned with him probably should have been on the show, as it's presumably a major development. 

Funny you bring up Watchmen. I'm following just fine and I haven't touched Peteypedia. Presumably because it's supplemental content, and not necessary for anyone who just wants to watch the show week to week. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

AEW: 851,000 NXT: 845,000

But but but but Meltzer said this was a real story! 

Again, I love Dave and it may seem like I don't because he has about two dozen Dave-isms that get on my nerves, but the whole "this is a real story" thing always gets on my nerves. He did it with the SmackDown rating on FS1, he did it with another SmackDown rating, he did it with AEW's rating last week, etc. Thankfully Bryan was there to tell him that it isn't a story and thing to look for would be what happens today, which, sure enough, is business as usual.

EDIT: lol some 300k people DVR'd AEW last week. Gee, I wonder why.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

And both shows were really good, as usual, I thought. Of all of these weeks, I can only think of one or two weeks where I thought NXT wasn't that good and I obviously thought last week for AEW wasn't that good. I think it's great that they're both hovering around the 800k to 900k for viewers and I hope they both eventually get over the million mark on the same night. It would be fucking fantastic and a good sign to see more people tuning in to what are the two best weekly wrestling shows on tv.

• Like 2

Honestly, this episode of Dynamite was pretty skippable. Most of the matches were solid, but nothing worth seeking out and mostly heatless aside from the opener. The action peaked early. Only thing anyone should bother seeking out is the Cody promo.  

I'd personally have cut the Brandi promo and thrown MJF on the show. I don't know why we need three "dark" heel groups at the same time anyway, but her live promo was pretty bad. Terrible affectation and rambling, aimless material. She should keep it to pre-tapes, because that format has somehow gotten people into Dark Order's incel recruitment videos. 

I disagree. Thought the opening tag match was outstanding, Fenix vs Trent advanced the storyline of Trent seeking singles success and having it at the expense of the Lucha Bros. and now there's the question of where he goes from here, Cody's promo was on fire even if he did tend to bury MJF a little bit, Nyla Rose was a fucking beast and demolished Leva Bates and Rick Knox and Shanna, then you had Jericho's promo that was really funny and then played into building up both Luchasaurus AND Jungle Boy, Statlander got a big win in a good match that raises her profile and gives Shida something more to fight for, and then came the two worst segments with the weird Awesome Kong stuff and the sloppy-ish CD vs Penta match. CD has always looked weird with his paunch and his pants that look too long for him. And the main event was pretty good. I love watching Moxley work with guys smaller than him and you can tell he's having a blast as well. The ending sets up Moxley as the clear #1 contender and sets the stage for what should be Moxley saying "fuck it" and attacking the entire Inner Circle next week.

Another positive to point out was that the commercials didn't take away from much and felt less frequent. They went to commercial each time when a submission or rest hold was applied or the heel (in the match) was getting heat on the face (in the match). I watched all of the P-i-P stuff and it was all skippable and when they returned they turned things back up a notch for the tv production.

There's a ton of positives there with them mixing and matching good in ring segments with good story or promo segments and they're always building to the next week or two weeks away while making what's going on during the show important as well. If anything was skippable it was last week. This week returned to form and put on a good two hour TV show that went by pretty quickly.

• Like 5

I get why they did everything they did here, but it was pretty much a dull piece-moving episode without enough high-end action to make up for it. 

I didn't find Penta-Daniels that sloppy either. If it weren't for the slip-up on the press, most people wouldn't have much to say about it one way or another. Just a middling-to-average match for both guys. Glad both Lucha Bros are doing more singles stuff though. As good as they are as a tag, I think I've always preferred them as singles. 

Funniest thing about Jericho's promo was the news that he sold so many bottles of his bubbly. Wrestling fans will open their wallets for literally anything. 

17 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don't know why we need three "dark" heel groups at the same time anyway

Not that I necessarily disagree and this is probably WWE wide thing, but if we're getting on AEW for the Nightmare Collective/Dark Order/Butcher and the Blade, can we get on NXT for a bunch of dudes having the burned out jam band roadie/Confederate civil war general beard look that the Forgotten Sons/Killian Dain/Cameron Grimes etc. are all rocking? I just wish they throw all those dudes into one stable and be done with it. I'm completely over that look.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3