DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2019-20: Conference Championships

Dolfan in NYC

The top 4 probably isn't changing this week except maybe the order.   Next week is the big one.  

This week though is Army/Navy and the Conference Championships

Pac 12 - Oregon vs. Utah 

Big 12 - Oklahoma vs. Baylor

MAC(tion) - Miami (OH) vs. Central Michigan

Sun Belt - Louisiana @ Appalachian State

Conference USA - Alabama-Birmingham @ Florida Atlantic

American - Cincinnati @ Memphis

Mountain West - Hawaii @ Boise State

SEC - Georgia vs. LSU

SWAC - Southern @ Alcorn State

ACC - Virginia vs. Clemson

B1G - The Ohio State vs. Wisconsin

---

Your CFB CHAOS picks are: Utah, Baylor, Virginia, Georgia, and Wisconsin.

Not sure Georgia and Wisconsin are truly chaos picks. Georgia wins, and the SEC gets LSU and Georgia into the final four. Ohio losing and still ends up in the four regardless. Virginia and Baylor are the troublemakers in the mix. If Clemson loses, did they do enough in their 12 wins to stay in the top four? I don't think they did. A Baylor win almost certainly puts a one-loss Utah team (assuming they beat Oregon) into the final four (assuming LSU beats Georgia). It's going to be a fun weekend, that is for sure! 

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just for the record - USC has officially announced that Clay Helton will return next year

RIP to USC recruiting thanks to their fanbase having a collective temper tantrum. It'll give Bammer an easy Week 1 cupcake game I guess.

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I wonder if it was his "the media is to blame for this loss" presser on Saturday that got him the extension. 

I think Washington State knows he's the best they can do, and his name is constantly floated around in other coaching searches especially in the Southeast, which I can't see him gelling with any intrusive board of trustees/boosters.

Lane Kiffin is heading back to the SEC.  Arkansas wanted him, but Ole Miss got the deal done.  Apparently they learned nothing from the Hugh Freeze era.

I eagerly await the return of “say and anything for attention” Tennessee-era Lane.

Edited by EVA

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, Baylor/Oklahoma might be a default playoff game now

if Georgia beats LSU then maybe LSU can still make it as a 4 seed.  Especially if it is a close game. It it is a blowout then the playoff show is going to nerve racking. 

If Georgia loses then Baylor vs Oklahoma would have to be a bad game for the winner not to make it.

I think LSU gets in regardless of what happens today.   I mean maybe if they lost 55-10 or something a case could be made but otherwise they are in.  If Georgia wins, I think they swap places with LSU.  That's assuming both Ohio St. and Clemson win.  

Ohio St. is also in regardless of what happens.  

Clemson might be in trouble if they lose.  

I agree that Oklahoma/Baylor now looks like a possible playoff game with Utah losing last night.   But let's say Georgia and Clemson both lose.  Does the committee take Clemson at #4 or is there room for anyone else to move up? 

If that scenario happened and Wisconsin beat Ohio St. then I think your four teams would be 1. LSU   2. Ohio St. 3. Oklahoma/Baylor  4. Wisconsin 

However,  if that scenario happened and Ohio St. remained undefeated,  could Florida jump all the way from #9 to #4?   

There is no path forward for Florida.  Its the current top 4, OU/Baylor, and Wisconsin; those are the contenders.  Clemson has a better chance of staying in with a loss today than Florida does of moving up that far while sitting home.

For the record, Bama dropping to 12 was absurd, and I think this has been the weirdest committee we’ve seen so far.  

That said, as a fan, the committee did Bama a favor in terms of their bowl matchup.  If they were at 8 or 9, they’d be going to the Sugar Bowl to play, most likely, Memphis or Cincinnati, which is not an attractive game at all.  At 12 now, they’re likely headed to the Citrus or Outback Bowl to play somebody like Michigan or Minnesota.  I would bet anything ESPN is lobbying hard for the Michigan game.

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

That said, as a fan, the committee did Bama a favor in terms of their bowl matchup.  If they were at 8 or 9, they’d be going to the Sugar Bowl to play, most likely, Memphis or Cincinnati, which is not an attractive game at all.  At 12 now, they’re likely headed to the Citrus or Outback Bowl to play somebody like Michigan or Minnesota.  I would bet anything ESPN is lobbying hard for the Michigan game.

Aren't they getting less money being in a non-NY6?

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

There is no path forward for Florida.  Its the current top 4, OU/Baylor, and Wisconsin; those are the contenders.  Clemson has a better chance of staying in with a loss today than Florida does of moving up that far while sitting home.

Unlikely to happen but what if Clemson lost and it was ugly..   all year there have been people saying their schedule is horrible and they are right the ACC was pathetic,  what if they went out and laid an egg? 

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Unlikely to happen but what if Clemson lost and it was ugly..   all year there have been people saying their schedule is horrible and they are right the ACC was pathetic,  what if they went out and laid an egg? 

If they had continued to play like they were early in the season, struggling with some of those bad teams in their league, I think there might have been a chance of that.  But they’ve been dominant the last half of the season and very much looked the equal of LSU and Ohio State.  I think the consensus perception is that they’re one of the top 4 teams, no matter what happens today.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Man, Charlie Brewer was clearly concussed earlier in the Big 12 title game, and Rhule sent him back out there.  Yikes.

Some Baylor things never change.   Good thing at least one ref checked on him

Thought that was the end of the game and then Oklahoma D showed their usual selves with a long TD pass

I think Baylor found their future QB after this game.  

Edited by hammerva