DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2019 - WEEK FOURTEEN

RIPPA

Now I better say this since folks won't get that I am teasing.

I agree with the point supreme and DFA are making in that frequently long term compilers are rewarded for compiling while better players are sometimes left to history. (Like how Frank Gore is now third or fourth all time rushing yards. And before him Jerome Bettis)

HOWEVER - I would say that Randall Cunningham isn't the best example of this since I feel like him (and Bo Jackson) are always referenced for their once in a generation talent. (Obviously as we get further away from when they played this will change).

For me a better argument would be to cite say Roger Craig. (Since I think he was WAY better than aforementioned Terrell Davis)

• Like 2

And this news couldn't have been better timed

ELI IS BACK~!

Daniel Jones is in a walking boot due to a high ankle sprain

Pat Shurmur said it is "most likely Eli Manning will start" Monday night's game

Now why you would want to rush your rookie QB back who you say is the future in a meaningless game is beyond me but Pat Shurmur is also an idiot

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I agree with the point supreme and DFA are making in that frequently long term compilers are rewarded for compiling while better players are sometimes left to history. (Like how Frank Gore is now third or fourth all time rushing yards. And before him Jerome Bettis)

HOWEVER - I would say that Randall Cunningham isn't the best example of this since I feel like him (and Bo Jackson) are always referenced for their once in a generation talent. (Obviously as we get further away from when they played this will change).

For me a better argument would be to cite say Roger Craig. (Since I think he was WAY better than aforementioned Terrell Davis)

Terrell Davis' first 4 seasons are as good as any 4 year stretch any running back has ever had.  He was arguably the best player in the league in 1998, and was top 5 in 1996 and 1997.  He has an MVP (1998), an Offensive Player of the Year (1996), and a Super Bowl MVP (1997).  Terrell Davis was the best player on back to back Super Bowl teams, and at his best was as good as any running back who has ever lived.  Roger Craig was great and should be in the Hall of Fame, but he was not Terrell Davis.

As a Browns fan, I think it's pretty absurd that Clay Matthews isn't in the Hall of Fame.  The Browns went to 3 out of 4 AFC Championship Games between 1986-1989, and he was arguably the best player on those teams.  He's on the 2nd team all 80s team, the first team is Lawrence Taylor, Rickey Jackson, and Mike Singletary.  Being 4th or 5th in that class is pretty fucking incredible.

20 hours ago, Tabe said:

Because his teams were super-inconsistent.  15-1 one year but under .500 all the rest of his years combined.  Never had back-to-back non-losing seasons.  Seemed to be the king of the "finish just strong enough to not get fired" team.

At least that's my guesses.

Rivera must have had you in mind at his press conference this morning.  He wanted to make sure we all know Carolina won back-to-back-to-back division titles.  Said that a couple times.  Even rhetorically asked what's more important?  Winning titles or a winning record.  Keep digging that hole, Cap'n Ron.

It's fitting that the rationale for firing him seems to have been "Eh. Why not?".  That seems to be the justification for keeping him around nine years, after all.  A couple good years does not a great coach make, particularly when you couldn't follow up those years with a .500 record.

I'm kinda interested in how this affects Wii Grier (WVU's my alma mater).  Grier had a terrible camp and ended up third string behind Cam and Allen (and might have been cut had they not invested a fairly high pick in him and he's a local).  Seems obvious Rivera wasn't going to throw him in there even when Allen struggled and the game was out of reach.  There's some talk the Panthers think he was a wasted pick.  So..... a new coach gives Grier the chance to climb out of a hole?  Or hastens his departure since the new coach didn't have a hand in drafting him and isn't attached to the guy.

32 minutes ago, Whodathunkit said:

Rivera must have had you in mind at his press conference this morning.  He wanted to make sure we all know Carolina won back-to-back-to-back division titles.  Said that a couple times.  Even rhetorically asked what's more important?  Winning titles or a winning record.  Keep digging that hole, Cap'n Ron.

LOL.  Ron, you won a division title at 7-8-1. That's like being proud of being NFC East champ this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, RIPPA said:

To be clear I'm not even arguing against Eli, just was a general comment.

Eli's two rings absolutely get him to the hall. That's what they're for.

I really really hope that the Skins end this fantasy that they are a playoff team by losing to the Packers.   Although given how awful the Eagles and Cowboys have been maybe they wouldn't technically be.   But to be fair the more the Skins win the more it feeds the delusion that they are "close".  Hell all of the sudden Bill Callahan is a credible coach after this two wins if you listen to people.    If you really want to see the carnage that is Bruce Allen running this team then you should want them to win more

Edited by hammerva