SEA win or tie

NINERS

Clinches playoff berth:

SF win + LAR loss or tie
SF tie + LAR loss

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And the Panthers have fired Ron Rivera

Does anyone have any explanation on why Ron Rivera was always about 2 minutes from being fired?  Was he just unlikeable, it doesn't seem to make sense that he gets fired this season when they didn't really have a chance.  Once Cam went out, they were pretty much done.

Do Gettleman and Rivera hate each other?

Because I like Rivera but I don't like Gettleman and don't trust him to build a team.

I mean either way the Giants will suck but I like Rivera more than Garrett

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Does anyone have any explanation on why Ron Rivera was always about 2 minutes from being fired?  Was he just unlikeable, it doesn't seem to make sense that he gets fired this season when they didn't really have a chance.  Once Cam went out, they were pretty much done.

Because the aura of Jerry Richardson is still strong and Rivera has ruined the great white hope that they expected to have after Kyle Allen's first few games and someone's head had to roll because of it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CSC said:

Because the aura of Jerry Richardson is still strong and Rivera has ruined the great white hope that they expected to have after Kyle Allen's first few games and someone's head had to roll because of it.

Cam Newton's legacy is going to be incredibly interesting to discuss.  He's totally unique player who was as good as any player in the league at his peak, but I don't think he'll be remembered that way.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Because his teams were super-inconsistent.  15-1 one year but under .500 all the rest of his years combined.  Never had back-to-back non-losing seasons.  Seemed to be the king of the "finish just strong enough to not get fired" team.

At least that's my guesses.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Cam Newton's legacy is going to be incredibly interesting to discuss.  He's totally unique player who was as good as any player in the league at his peak, but I don't think he'll be remembered that way.  

Agreed.  He never quite got "there" as a passer - 6 times under 60% completions - but he was a unique force and was really great the year Carolina went 15-1.  But he was also a little inconsistent and came into the league a little tainted because of the Auburn scandal, which seems to have colored perception of him forever.  Shying away from the fumble in the Super Bowl did him no favors.  But...he still WAS that unique force and went shamefully unprotected by the league, leaving him vulnerable to injury.

TL;DR - I dunno what his legacy will be, LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Historical sports discussions almost invariably overvalue long-term pretty good accumulators over players with a really high peak.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Especially if what is essentially a better version of him in Lamar continues the way he is going also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Historical sports discussions almost invariably overvalue long-term pretty good accumulators over players with a really high peak.

Yep.  Eli Manning will be a hall of famer, but Randall Cunningham who had 2 different seasons better than anything that Eli Manning could ever dream to be, won't even be on a single ballot.  There will be 100 more Eli Mannings in our lives, but we may never see another Randall Cunningham.  I get why Cunningham didn't win MVP in 1998, because Terrell Davis was an absolute force that year, but 1990 may very well be the best season any quarterback has ever had in the history of the league.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RolandTHTG said:

Especially if what is essentially a better version of him in Lamar continues the way he is going also.

Lamar Jackson is a completely different player though.  A big part of Cam's game was that he is so fucking massive.  He is the best short yardage weapon of all time, because trying to stop a man that big, strong, fast, and athletic from getting a yard or two is nearly impossible.  Cam also had elite arm talent, he can throw the ball a mile without really even stepping into the throw.  It's probably why he never developed into a great passer, his talent let him do outrageous shit with terrible technique.  Lamar Jackson's game is much more based on speed.  Lamar is the best athlete on the field every single week, and it's usually not that close.  He can just run away from everyone.  Lamar has good arm talent, but it isn't elite.  He doesn't have a wet noodle arm, but his arm isn't anything to write home about at all.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Lamar Jackson is a completely different player though.  A big part of Cam's game was that he is so fucking massive.  He is the best short yardage weapon of all time, because trying to stop a man that big, strong, fast, and athletic from getting a yard or two is nearly impossible.  Cam also had elite arm talent, he can throw the ball a mile without really even stepping into the throw.  It's probably why he never developed into a great passer, his talent let him do outrageous shit with terrible technique.  Lamar Jackson's game is much more based on speed.  Lamar is the best athlete on the field every single week, and it's usually not that close.  He can just run away from everyone.  Lamar has good arm talent, but it isn't elite.  He doesn't have a wet noodle arm, but his arm isn't anything to write home about at all.

I take your point on the discrepancy of the respective arms, but feel that peak Cam's biggest weapon was his rushing yards - which in hindsight was just what you said - a realisation that it took something ridiculous to stop someone that big from going where they wanted, and once that happened enough, he hasn't really presented as a threat on the rush for a couple of seasons (especially since the emergence of CMac also).

Lamar has the potential to still be putting up absurd rushing numbers much longer than Cam did because he's too quick to be taking those hits as frequently, and will probably get far better protection for it too.

That rushing yards record is going to get obliterated this year and it will be interesting to see what the shift will be in QBs trying to emulate that, in the same way that plenty of mid range shooters tried emulating Stef Curry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

There will be 100 more Eli Mannings in our lives

So 100 guys are going win 2 Super Bowls? That means I would have to be alive for at least 200 more years.

I will take that deal.

• Like 3

Eh.  I don't know if I want to see what this planet is going to look like in 200 years.  

Elsewhere...  Miami has put Kalen Ballage on IR, ending his season. (Ending with a hilarious 1.8 yards per carry average.)  Patrick Laird will take over duties.  

(Of note...  Miami's next three are the Jets, the Giants, and Cincinnati.  Laird is probably not picked up in your league.  With those three opponents... you should consider it.)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

So 100 guys are going win 2 Super Bowls? That means I would have to be alive for at least 200 more years.

I will take that deal.

Somewhere in there, Rippa is egging me on to go all - JIM PLUNKETT FOR THE HOF!!!!!

But I got the questionable decision to put Snake Stabler in the Hall during my lifetime.  I will refrain.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I will take that deal.

I meant we're going to have 100 more quarterbacks who go .500 for their careers, but I guess we can all cherry pick numbers.

18 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I meant we're going to have 100 more quarterbacks who go .500 for their careers, but I guess we can all cherry pick numbers.

A .500 record AND two Super Bowl rings