DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Chained Heat - 12/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

On behalf of the DVDVR management, I apologize for the upcoming eleven pages of pictures from Natural and DZ of Lana in handcuffs. 

Also, for what it's worth, Joe is far and away the best heel color commentator they've had in WWE in years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, for what it's worth, Joe is far and away the best heel color commentator they've had in WWE in years. 

No idea why they had to have two heel commentators tonight. Lawler has been fairly innocuous lately(at least compared to how bad he’s been over the past few years) but tonight was unbearable. 

With that being said, Joe is so good at anything he does. Wrestle. Promos. Studio shows. Live Commentary. Unreal how talented that guy is.

• Like 7

Too many squashes. But can't get enough Charlotte vs Kabuki Warriors, that was awesome. Mentioned last week that Charlotte/Asuka has been my favorite opponent pairing in the company. After this, I hope a long Charlotte/Kairi singles happens next. Main event was fun, great finish.

• Like 2

I didn't see the whole episode. I really, really, really loved that Charlotte vs. Kabuki Warriors match. I loved that the KWs won cleanly. Sure, they manipulated the rules a bit throughout the match, but that's tag team wrestling for you. They controlled almost all of the match, too. Charlotte had her chances to win, as she should being the world beater of the division. But 2-on-1 was a losing battle. It was also nice that Kairi won with the elbow after Charlotte bridged in the Figure Eight. I was assuming the whole time we'd see Asuka use mist but that ending was well done. 

That match also highlighted what I love most about WWE Women's Wrestling. Every single woman who has spent time in NXT really knows how to use facial expressions and body language to communicate emotion. They're all really talented physical actors. Charlotte does such a great job with intense stares and the like, especially right before she's measuring someone up. Asuka and Kairi have some really wonderful, over-the-top theatrics that work perfectly with their gimmick. Alexa Bliss isn't the best wrestler but she became a huge star because she is so awesome at that part of the performance art. Dana Brooke and Lacey Evans are both pretty awkward in terms of the athleticism part of wrestling but both really understand the power of a smugly dropping a lace glove to the mat or taunting someone. 

I think it's a cool case study to show them against The OC. I friggin' hate Karl Anderson so much. He's pretty much the exact opposite of what the NXT women bring to the table when he's in the ring. Luke Gallows isn't much better, either. It's also pretty crazy considering Rey Mysterio is one of the best ever at conveying emotion through physicality and has been great at it since I was in high school. But those two dudes just sorta suck at those components of storytelling.

• Like 2

I didn't think Kabuki Warriors vs. Charlotte was that great. It was good but it was also bullshit.   Asuka is a  "once undefeated nobody can beat her" badass and Kairi Sane is a former NXT champion and collectively they are the dominant women's tag team champions..  

but yet the match went on forever and "make Charlotte look strong" was in full effect.  

I hate handicap matches for this reason.  It makes the team look so weak.. 

• Like 5

Really good stuff from Charlotte vs The Kabuki Warriors. If there is any woman that you could see the company letting win a handicap match against champions, it would be Charlotte so it was a pleasant surprise when she was defeated. The three of them have some good chemistry and I wouldn’t mind this program continuing. 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the squash matches in between the top hour "main events". Was sort of like watching Rick Rude beat Koko B Ware, Big Boss Man beat Jim Powers, and Hacksaw beat Boris Zukhoff before seeing a Hart Foundation/Rougeau Brothers main event of PrimeTime Wrestling

• Like 3

I thought this was a good episode though.    I don't know exactly where the Rollins stuff is going,  I was just hoping they'd have him be a heel and move on with it but let's see where it goes I guess..  

AOP look awesome taking out Owens and then dragging his carcass. The matches mostly delivered. 

And I was wrong about Lashley and Rusev.  I didn't think this was doing anything for Rusev but it's clearly working because he's over as fuck and I guess it's also a testament to him once again but he always does manage to get over no matter the material.  Rusev might really be #1. 

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Here's something: why does No Way Jose have Adam Rose's gimmick? Was that just too good for them to give up or something?

I'm glad you brought that up.   Rowan has been good in this role and I'm interested what the hell is in the crate. I hope it's a Harlem sewer rat though maybe seeing as Rowan is from the backwoods it could be a crocodile or something..  

I fast forwarded through a lot. Seth speaking for more than two minutes is not something I want to watch. AoP and Owens talking was nice. Skipped through the Lana/Rusev/Lashley.

I enjoy Rowan squashes. Tozawa's getting squashed saddened but was also kind of awesome on both Drew and Tozawa's parts.

The Drew/Orton segment was decent.

Charlotte/Kabuki Warriors was really freaking good and kind of annoying at the same time. Competitive handicap matches always feel a bit like bs when a monster isn't involved. on the other hand the audience was pretty damn hot for it, and Charlotte and the Kabuki Warriors work pretty damn well together. The sad thing is that I think this might have been the best Kabuki Warriors match so far, and that is kind of ridiculous. How in the fuck is Charlotte better wrestling a tag match on her own than she is with is with Nattie or Becky?

Joe is an awesome commentator and I hope he does this whenever he is injured.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

On behalf of the DVDVR management, I apologize for the upcoming eleven pages of pictures from Natural and DZ of Lana in handcuffs. 

Not from me, Lana/Rusev/Lashley bullshit needs to end.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm glad you brought that up.   Rowan has been good in this role and I'm interested what the hell is in the crate. I hope it's a Harlem sewer rat though maybe seeing as Rowan is from the backwoods it could be a crocodile or something..  

Or Hornswoggle with a banjo.

45 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Or Hornswoggle with a banjo.

with how slow this company is on pop culture, I'm guessing they'll wait 9 months to reveal what's in Rowans cage, only for it to be a Baby Yoda doll.

Was fun to see the roster of Main Event invade the show, even if they faired a lot worse than NXT did. Young vs Andrade was good little match

Edited by ErinQuinn

I kinda feel sorry for Lana. I mean it's not her fault for this whole angle and she certain is better than the material she's been given. I wonder if Vince is doing one of his bullshit loyalty tests with Rusev. See how much shit you can throw on a guy to get people to not care about him long enough to see if he'll stay with the company. Though, Rusev remains super over. 

I only watched up till Charlotte vs. Kabuki Warriors. That was a really good match and I still find it impossible to boo Kairi Sane. No mist though. I figured Askua would do the mist but hit Kairi by mistake allowing Charlotte to win. The InSane elbow is a thing of beauty.

No Becky Lynch again. Always a good idea to keep one of your most over people off tv like that.

• Like 1