DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

Koolaid sucks. It's a 3rd rate soft drink.

LaCroix (or Bubly) or GTFO.

In going back to look for Goodear saying AEW was bad (a reference to “this bad promotion”), I saw this and was remembered that the Charlotte buses must be marketing specifically for Craig. I saw bus ads for AEW and LaCroix yesterday.

• Like 1

Yes, I think AEW is "bad" as a whole. There are obviously good things on the show but if I were to grade shows from top to bottom, I find a lot of problems with the promotion. I think if you look at my posts, you will see a lot of them outlined. No one really seems to want to engage with those arguments and mostly I get agreement on the particulars. A whole lot of bad segments add up to a bad show. I reviewed 3 segments yesterday and had major issues with all of them.  Here they are in short form for your convenience...

Cody & QT vs The Butcher and The Blade - Person who got the most rub was the 'punishment' partner.  The guy being saddled with the bad partner didn't react to the situation other than being sad that he lost. B&B didn't look good in victory.

Kenny & Page vs Sabian & Spears - Janela kidnapping Tully looked super fake and Joey came out looking worse both morally and physically as Shawn beat him away at ease. 

Bucks vs Pride N Powerful - Seemed pretty jokey for (I assume) the blow off to a feud.  PNP and Bucks goofed around too much to be taken seriously. The powerbomb through the stage seemed like it was checking a box rather than being at all organic.

If I'm wrong, tell me why.  I'm not here to say, "Good show' every week if its not good.  I'm not interested in that.  I'm also not interested in saying its better than another worse bad show I'm not watching. 

• Like 4

Maybe I'm being too negative.  Here's the positives from the same segments

Cody & QT vs The Butcher and The Blade - Cody is really over and can bring up three people in the moment of a match. JR didn't do a bad job making the point that Cody was taking odd risks especially climbing the opponents' turnbuckle. Allie seemed effective in her secondary role, I like when I can hear managers through the wrestling din because it means they are invested.  I would want her in gear that allows her to be more mobile so she can be more physically active.

Kenny & Page vs Sabian & Spears - Sabian having a role is a good thing and having Ford there helps his act. I am interested in Page turning heel from the matchmaking perspective.  I liked the finish.

Bucks vs Pride N Powerful - I like using the sock thing as a weapon.  Its unique and looks like it hurts a bunch but not so much that it would kill someone like a sledgehammer or a baseball bat. I think all four guys have high physical skills. Nick doing that match with a fever was gutsy.

• Like 2

I like the madball (sock filled with baseballs), but I almost wish they would use a shoe as a weapon ala Konnan or Nick and Nate Diaz. Getting hit with a tennis shoe, like a good sized basketball shoe, fucking hurts, looks like it hurts, but it's not going to do any lasting damage.

I think the sock is legit filled with tennis balls, but they say baseballs because they're about the same size and would hurt more.

• Like 1

They could be filled with other socks for all we know. Also, Santana (or Ortiz, not sure which) bringing the madball (nice to know a term for that) to the match in his teeth reminded me of my grandma's dog Charlie who used to play with a sock, which reminded me of the one of them sticking his tongue out all the time. Like a dog. Subtle references there boys. Might as well have named them the Attack Dogs.

Also, isn't the real serious street weapon putting a cueball in a sock? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They could be filled with other socks for all we know. Also, Santana (or Ortiz, not sure which) bringing the madball (nice to know a term for that) to the match in his teeth reminded me of my grandma's dog Charlie who used to play with a sock, which reminded me of the one of them sticking his tongue out all the time. Like a dog. Subtle references there boys. Might as well have named them the Attack Dogs.

Also, isn't the real serious street weapon putting a cueball in a sock? 

I dunno, but Jay and Silent Bob taught me that it should be a sock full of quarters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sammy G vs Luchasaurus

Pro:  Sammy is my favorite guy on the show.  I like his arrogance and poise.  I think the vlogging gimmick could work really well if they put some more behind it like showing the video in segments.  It would work great for squash matches. Luchasaurus really is grabbing the crowds imagination.  I would have him on the slow burner for the next six months to a year.

Cons:  Did Sammy spit at the production crew or something?  He should set the truck on fire.  For the second week, they made him look pretty bad. First we had the shooting star to no where (that wasn’t) and now we have this. He misses a dive to the outside and barely grazes Saurus. Sammy covers by acting like a dick which was a great sign of maturity.  We could have moved  on but no let’s show a replay of the dive from a WORSE angle.  Holy hand grenades. 
Lucha can come off a little too choreographed with the kick sequences.  Seasoning will handle that in time.

Referees in this promotion aren’t respected.  It’s really bad that Sammy hit Lucha with the phone right in Aubrey’s view.  Just a terrible look.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Goodear said:

Yes, I think AEW is "bad" as a whole. There are obviously good things on the show but if I were to grade shows from top to bottom, I find a lot of problems with the promotion. I think if you look at my posts, you will see a lot of them outlined. No one really seems to want to engage with those arguments and mostly I get agreement on the particulars. A whole lot of bad segments add up to a bad show. I reviewed 3 segments yesterday and had major issues with all of them.  Here they are in short form for your convenience...

Cody & QT vs The Butcher and The Blade - Person who got the most rub was the 'punishment' partner.  The guy being saddled with the bad partner didn't react to the situation other than being sad that he lost. B&B didn't look good in victory.

I disagree with this one. I think it was booked really well. QT was a guy with nothing to lose. This was his one shot to prove that he was worth something, and he swung for the fences before finally falling on his sword. It went exactly as it should have. 

• Like 7

Back in 2011, around the time when CHIKARA had those JoshiMania shows, I was laid off from my job for about a month and I decided I was going to just get familiar with the current joshi scene I was watching alot of Emi,Rio, KANA and Io just about anything I could find on Dailymotion and youtube it was fun even though Joshi wasn't what it was 15 20 years before. It seems AEWs women's division isn't clicking yet. Right now it seems WWE is using their Joshi talent good Right now, but it's hot and cold with them, I know Omega and Khan in particular are big fans of Joshi so I expected. The division to turn an weekly TV version of SHIMMER

19 hours ago, Goodear said:

Sammy G vs Luchasaurus

Pro:  Sammy is my favorite guy on the show.  I like his arrogance and poise.  I think the vlogging gimmick could work really well if they put some more behind it like showing the video in segments.  It would work great for squash matches. Luchasaurus really is grabbing the crowds imagination.  I would have him on the slow burner for the next six months to a year.

Cons:  Did Sammy spit at the production crew or something?  He should set the truck on fire.  For the second week, they made him look pretty bad. First we had the shooting star to no where (that wasn’t) and now we have this. He misses a dive to the outside and barely grazes Saurus. Sammy covers by acting like a dick which was a great sign of maturity.  We could have moved  on but no let’s show a replay of the dive from a WORSE angle.  Holy hand grenades. 
Lucha can come off a little too choreographed with the kick sequences.  Seasoning will handle that in time.

Referees in this promotion aren’t respected.  It’s really bad that Sammy hit Lucha with the phone right in Aubrey’s view.  Just a terrible look.  

I'm not alone!

It's quite fascinating, too, because if you follow him on social media, he seems to be a really kind, fairly nice guy.  Reminds me of The Miz, in that respect, where smarks would show up and berate him at autograph signings and he'd be gracious and nice, then onscreen you just want to see him get his ass kicked.  

You know, I wouldn't be upset of the endgame of Jericho as champ was Sammy G turning on him and winning the title off of him, in a student overtaking the master kind of way.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That one was good, but I have a theory about foods and drinks - almost anything blue is good.

When I was 18 I was, expectedly, not a very seasoned drinker and some blue Jack Daniels Downhome Punch ruined my NYE and made me puke blue so that's a definite exception to the rule.

I hope they eventually acknowledge that Butcher and Blade have real names, but for anybody who hasn't seen it, Andy's band Every Time I Die got to play the final song on the final Warped Tour and this video gives me the feels...

• Like 1