DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

On 12/6/2019 at 5:44 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

According to Alvarez the word from AEW was that one of the satellites for the TNT feed got messed up and they had to get that fixed.  So it doesn't sound like it's technically AEW's fault.  But that still doesn't absolve them of the various leveling issues they've had over the weeks from the ring to the crowd.  For all they say about wanting that crowd noise I was still saddened to not hear stuff loudly chanted/sung from Full Gear make it to to the PPV feed.

Isn't production handled by TNT anyways?

Harper's probably the only guy I'd want AEW to even sign.  Sin Cara is way too slow to keep up with guys like Fenix, etc.  The Ascension has a good look but what kind of workers are they and can they keep up with all the other teams?  Plus, how many of these guys do they really want to sign without looking minor league by picking up WWE's sloppy seconds?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

Harper's probably the only guy I'd want AEW to even sign.  Sin Cara is way too slow to keep up with guys like Fenix, etc.  The Ascension has a good look but what kind of workers are they and can they keep up with all the other teams?  Plus, how many of these guys do they really want to sign without looking minor league by picking up WWE's sloppy seconds?

Yea my thoughts exactly. Add all four, and it's just TNA. 

Edit: Not the thread for it, but while we're on it: Ascension would probably be a great addition to the NWA

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

I can't stand much about Emi Sakura. Her entrance music blows, she's a heel the panders to the crowd like a face, her offense mostly sucks, but her selling is good. She's extremely annoying to watch and is one of the few channel changers I can think of in AEW.

Big Swole isn't much better.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Big Swole plays to the crowd and taunts too long before some moves, but I still think she’s more exciting to watch than Emi.

I just want them to move away from the joshi they have, tbh. I’m not big on Riho or Yuka.

Man, Riho had been awesome.

And she's been getting the old Chris Benoit thing where the crowd clearly doesn't much care at the start but then she's so good by the closing stretch the crowd is molten. She's one of my favorite people in AEW.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

Konnor doesn't seem to be much good, Viktor is alright but there's no reason for AEW to sign them.

I could see some variation on the Hunico gimmick maybe acting as a manager to P&P down the road, sometimes working as the third man. He was really fucking good as Hunico, and I think if he's motivated he could surprise a lot of people. He may not be super quick, but he's still a great base with good power spots. I don't think he's short on options, but I think it's fine for AEW to pick up people who they can utilize better than WWE - and Hunico definitely falls into that category.

Watch some of his shit on YouTube and tell me he doesn't bring a lot to the table.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

This is the most annoying part about Emi for sure. I'm not big on cosplay in wrestling in general, but it damn sure shouldn't be a heel doing it.

When she came out in Charlotte, I told my brother it looked like someone had mentioned she should act like a heel, then she started doing the face pandering but during the match. That crowd mostly booed in response, so it could be ok if it was played up as her being disingenuous by her or on commentary. But... it’s not.

I'll also say it - I think the Freddie Mercury cosplay is fucking dumb looking and dumb in concept too. Here's her act...She comes out waving a microphone and stand that's not connected to anything and isn't wirelessly receiving sound and she's acting like she's singing into the fucking thing. When CD comes out and he's saying shit into the mic, it's picking up sound and so it at least looks and sounds normal. When Emi does it, it just looks fucking weird.

And again, she's supposed to be a heel?! In what fucking world is that getup and gimmick supposed to be a heel gimmick?

Everything about Emi Sakura is wrong. It's honestly the thing that embarrasses me about AEW the most. Even more than how ridiculous it is to have a bunch of different grimdark heel stables. It may be the thing that bugs me the most out of anything in AEW or WWE and that covers a lot of ground. Get her off my TV on Wednesdays.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'll also say it - I think the Freddie Mercury cosplay is fucking dumb looking and dumb in concept too. Here's her act...She comes out waving a microphone and stand that's not connected to anything and isn't wirelessly receiving sound and she's acting like she's singing into the fucking thing. When CD comes out and he's saying shit into the mic, it's picking up sound and so it at least looks and sounds normal. When Emi does it, it just looks fucking weird.

Pretty cool people have done this before. Hmmmmm.

edit: I'm not talking about that nerdlinger Christopher Daniels either.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

Harper could come in and require very little modification.  I feel like he's got the kind of positive reputation with AEW crowds that would be happy to see him as a guy WWE didn't use well or enough.

Sin Cara could come in but would need a repackage away from the luchador bit which he never really seemed into it. Maybe stepping into the Konnan role unmasked for Pride & Powerful would be a good spot for him.  I just noticed ComingtoAmerica made that same pitch.  I'm self centered though. 

Viktor would need to be repackaged so much to make him unrecognizable but I wouldn't do that unless they have a specific purpose in mind for him.  Which would be hard to imagine but if I recall correctly he had a good relationship with Tyler Breeze who has a ongoing relationship with Shawn Spears.  Considering the friends of friends getting jobs in AEW, that's not totally crazy.

Konnor would dwarf the roster and I don't think he would fit anywhere on the show (unless you want the Dark Order to have a big guy who stands there).  He'd get the worse crowd backlash and the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

Edited by Goodear

Considering the whole pitch of the Join Dark Order concept is that they're recruiting outcasts and losers, that's the perfect place for a WWE cast off (that phrase had kind of died out and I really didn't want to revive it, but it fits my point) to land.

• Like 2