DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That is ridiculous that they had a #1 contender win a match for a date she wouldn't be able to make. I love an AEW defense but that is so bad.

They announced the contender match well in advance too. Surely at least kris knew she had a booking? Definitely makes a mockery of the rankings which are already widely mocked. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I love AEW a ton but I just can't/won't accept the fact that the contenders 2, 3 and 4 get the title shot before number 1.  Such a simple way to get out of this and it seems like they went with the most complicated way possible.

flame away but another Brit Baker title shot really?!  How many chances does one get?  I said it before  it's like Charlie Brown going to kick the football and Lucy pulling it away.  

Just have Riho beat Shida or Nyla  and have Kris get her match on the 8th,  or have a non title match with Nyla.  Better yet do a tag match playa.   So many other scenarios that could have worked

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not to mention that Nyla Rose's suspension is up on 1/1 and now she immediately gets a title shot.

To be fair, this happens in combat sports fairly often. Shit, Lesnar was gonna get a UFC title shot after his USADA suspension was frozen due to his retirement.

14 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

flame away but another Brit Baker title shot really?!  How many chances does one get?  I said it before  it's like Charlie Brown going to kick the football and Lucy pulling it away.  

Just have Riho beat Shida or Nyla  and have Kris get her match on the 8th,  or have a non title match with Nyla.  Better yet do a tag match playa.   So many other scenarios that could have worked

I'm with you on that.  I'm a bit forgiving when it comes to Brit but it's time for others to have a shot.  And the match has no drama for me as it's obvious Riho is winning.  Brit/Kris and even Shida/Kris already happened and if Nyla didn't get it on episode one then they're saving her win for later on.  The only matchup that makes sense is Riho/Kris which I think will be quite a good match.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Britt is second in the rankings. If Statlander isn't there, it could reasonably be argued that she's the only one who deserves a title shot.

I think the best thing to do would be to give Statlander a title shot on the 8th. I’m all for the Women’s championship to be defending regularly. Riho be the perfect fighting champion. She’s tiny as all hell but can go as we have seen and pulling upsets on challengers all the time would be cool.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Britt is second in the rankings. If Statlander isn't there, it could reasonably be argued that she's the only one who deserves a title shot.

but how is she 2nd?   She wins a match, loses, a match, back and forth.  Did she get 2nd just by how many matches she's had?  What is the criteria because it's not logical.  Usually if you lose a number 1 contender match you go to the back of the line not stay at number 2

The rankings shouldn't count for 1/1 anyway since that's the day they reset. Statlander won her title shot in a match so that would carry over year to year but technically none of those women should qualify for a title shot. The fact they have to scramble to put something together when they should have had a lot of advance notice is some amateur hour stuff but here we are. I'd have preferred if they'd just given the match to the #2 contender or have an open challenge. Props to Kris for keeping her word when both promotions were fine with her not especially given the prominent nature of this match, shows class.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize Britt Baker was the #2 again somehow. Kayfabe wise that still makes sense to me but I'd prefer a different challenger.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 1

I think the rankings can work and haven't been egregious outside of the women's division to this point. However, they're going to need a helluva lot more foresight than what they've shown here with Statlander. 

I had to turn it off because it was so over the top, but the Voices of Wrestling guys were really giving it to AEW. One of the major complaints is that the show has a disjointed feel and lacks a clear vision. They went back to the quotes of being like Mid South to spear them after the Dark Order and Brandi bullshit. I fucking love the variety approach and do not want them to mimic  the NJPW undercard booking approach where you are more or less fine skipping the first half of every show outside of wanting to see Young Lions progress. What are the thoughts of you all on the variety vs. focused identity question? I think they could find a better balance in the variety approach but I enjoy that there is a little bit of something for most everybody and that matches feel incredibly different from each other. The problems with WWE and their match structure/rigidity are well documented but you can see a similar thing in NJPW where there are certain checkboxes that must be ticked too.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

It's not the end of the world, but it's a really bad look. When it seems you can't use a calendar when setting up matches with someone who has other dates arranged weeks in advance. . . someone dropped the ball. Whether it was Kris in not clarifying her schedule or Khan/Omega in not planning around it, that's a big YIKES.

• Like 4

On 12/24/2019 at 6:13 PM, tbarrie said:

Nobody has ever used "literally" to mean "figuratively". They use it as an intensifier, which is a different thing entirely.

Gorilla Monsoon used to all the time.

• Like 1

So did they not tell Kris that the title match was on January 1st before booking her to win the #1 contender's match? Was there any mention before that broadcast that the title match would be on the 1st? The only way any of this makes sense as something that could happen to begin with is if Kris got told "winner gets a title shot at an upcoming show" and then she found out the match was scheduled for January 1st along with the television audience.