DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

13 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I'm not sure if you're presenting an example or what. Who has time to watch a Youtube video?

The YouTube channel I linked to is full of (rubbish) videos of a guy with a weak chin, who frequently says things like "This was so bad, I literally gouged my eyes out with a rusty spoon while watching it". Meaning an example of literally being used to mean figuratively.

In terms of not having time to watch a YouTube video, I'd say most people who are informed enough to post in the AEW forum probably try to watch Dark and BTE, at least. I don't think many DVDVR message board posters watch Sammy Guevara vlogs though.

22 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

It's sad that WWE (and John Cena) has trained wrestling fans to not think that babyfaces would all be friends with each other.

Because they believe that the Babyface looks weak if they have help. That was my main issue with Cena single handedly taking out Nexus and groups like that.Ā 

MLW is alot better at intertwining feuds especially in the first few months of the reboot. I don't this AEW is going to do like WWE and just completely stop angles unless it just doesn't go over and is terribly bad. I think Cody is going to go back to each one of these angles given the situation but you don't want the crowd to forget. He has got himself in position where he has alot going on though and it's no necessarily a good thing if you keep going to something else without going back to other angles.

Who actually books AEW? Is it just the Elite, with Jericho booking his own stuff? Because ye Gods, a head booker overseeing everything who could make the storylines more cohesive would do wonders for them. Though I really have no idea who would be available for that.

18 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Who actually books AEW? Is it just the Elite, with Jericho booking his own stuff? Because ye Gods, a head booker overseeing everything who could make the storylines more cohesive would do wonders for them. Though I really have no idea who would be available for that.

Tony KhanĀ gives the final yay or nay to everything that happens, but Iā€™m not sure how fully involved he is in the nuts and bolts. Just from the type of person he seems to be Iā€™dĀ imagine heā€™s very hands on with everything.Ā 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Omega does the women, the Bucks do the tag division, and Cody does the singles supposedly.Ā  Tony Khan has final word.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, AxB said:

The YouTube channel I linked to is full of (rubbish) videos of a guy with a weak chin, who frequently says things like "This was so bad, I literally gouged my eyes out with a rusty spoon while watching it". Meaning an example of literally being used to mean figuratively.

Okay, but my point was I don't agree that the speaker is using "literally" to mean "figuratively" in that sentence. They're using it to strengthen the sentence, without concern for its literal meaning. Saying "figuratively" or a word that meant "figuratively" would weaken the sentence, which is presumably the opposite of their intent. "Literally" in that sentence means something closer to "very" or "verily" than "figuratively", in my opinion. (In fact, while I don't have access to the OED at the moment, I suspect if you checked the etymology of "very" you'd find its original meaning was quite close to "literal"'s.

22 hours ago, AxB said:

In terms of not having time to watch a YouTube video, I'd say most people who are informed enough to post in the AEW forum probably try to watch Dark and BTE, at least. I don't think many DVDVR message board posters watch Sammy Guevara vlogs though.

I haven't actually watched much Dark, though I keep meaning to.

My brother has subjected me to BTE a couple of times during visits. Family harmony is strained.

• Haha 1

I guess Twitter functionality faw down go boom...Ā they announced March 25 Dynamite at the Prudential Center in Newark. Seems like they wanted MSG but got politicked and settled for just over the river.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, Marty Sugar said:

I only watch AEW Dark on YouTube and I've been enjoying it. The show isn't perfect by any means, but I like their commitment to using top guys to try and establish young dudes. This easily could've been self-masturbatory with The Bucks and Cody or Omega holding the belts and they resisted the urge. Good on them.Ā 

Ā 

In a perfect world you would be absolutely right, but unfortunately it isn't. Those guys needed to be "selfish" and beat everybody to establish themselves as stars to a national audience. How are people watching them for the first time supposed to accept them as big stars when they are doing jobs left and right? And even worse: if they are getting beaten by everyone how is that getting the guys they are losing to over? How is beating them meaningful when they are getting constantly beaten? They needed to be booked real strong and then pick one guy or one team to put over so the loss really means something.

• Like 2

The original original meaning of literally is "in written form". "I literally informed you" meant "I wrote you a letter to tell you" long before it meant "I actually really did legitimately for real tell you".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Isn't it former ECW guy Judge Jeff Jones?Ā 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the answer.

This is interesting. You get their perspective on some of the NJ drama. It's obviously heavily biased but so is a lot of the stuff we've heard from the other side.

Edited by Oyaji

Soooo, Statlander is off the 1/1 show due to ā€œprior commitmentsā€ and Riho will now be defending the title in a 4-way against Shida, Baker, and Nyla Rose.

Very strange. Ā She didnā€™t have these commitments prior to them booking her as #1 contender?

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure people were talking about her being at Bar Wrestling on 1/1 the night she won that match. So, presumably, if we knew about it, they should have too.

That match is going to be a trainwreck, though. Nyla is still green, Britt Baker is Britt Baker, and I'm not too high on Riho as it is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

Soooo, Statlander is off the 1/1 show due to ā€œprior commitmentsā€ and Riho will now be defending the title in a 4-way against Shida, Baker, and Nyla Rose.

Very strange. Ā She didnā€™t have these commitments prior to them booking her as #1 contender?

I'm just trying to think how they're going to explain this though.Ā  Shida lost the number one contender match and Baker and Nyla are beyond Shida's level in rankings (as well as wrestling ability but I digress).Ā  But have Shida, Baker and Nyla in a triple threat to see who is the next number one contender and Riho in a squash match and that would work out quite nicely.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm just trying to think how they're going to explain this though.Ā  Shida lost the number one contender match and Baker and Nyla are beyond Shida's level in rankings (as well as wrestling ability but I digress).Ā  But have Shida, Baker and Nyla in a triple threat to see who is the next number one contender and Riho in a squash match and that would work out quite nicely.

It's not that difficult to explain. Everyone involved in the title match that isn't Riho is in the top 5, except the lowest ranked (#5) in Emi Sakura. Kris Statlander is ranked above all of them, and will face whoever is the champion the following week.

This kind of kills my excitement for the 1/1 show, too. Like, I know it was probably going to be a fuck finish somehow since Kris is involved with Brandi, Kong and Cruise... but still. I was excited about that match.

Now, they can fix this by getting the title on Shida and then I'll be insanely hyped for 1/8 if it's Statlander vs Shida 2.

• Like 1