DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

He said he's letting us know his stipulation on the January 1st show. They don't want him around after delaying the announcement.

I feel like you don't want to spam your chicken shit heel that isn't super over yet. He can start making regular appearances closer to the PPV match with Cody but until then he should be used sparingly and out of Cody's range until then. They have the Butcher and the Blade as a nice little distraction until then. I didn't love the diversion at first but I understood why they went with it. The execution has been better than I thought and I love that they're now bringing Darby back into Cody's sphere as one more diversion. Will there be interference in the Cody/Darby match? I could see it but I could also see Darby not accepting the handout. Or Darby going after MJeff afterwards if he doesn't see it until afterwards. Then Wardlow can beat the piss out of Darby and Cody can make the save a la Dusty. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 3:56 PM, AxB said:

Was that literally literally though, or just figuratively literally? Because the word is no longer an absolute. Linguistic evolution, you might not like it, but it's undeniable.

(throws grammar flag) 

Literally literally means literally. If not, there is no reason for the word to exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The meaning of a word is defined by its current colloquial use. Try telling people round my way that "ignorant" means not knowing facts, they'll tell you you're wrong because for decades they've used ignorant to mean 'acting in an aloof, disconnected or selfish manner'. Hence, with an epidemic of hyperbolic people using Literally to mean Figuratively, the colloquial definition of the word has shifted.

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Too early to tell on the Dark Order stuff, but I chalk up people like Omega, Cody, Dustin, etc. running in for the save to help the Young Bucks as just friends trying to help their friends.

It's sad that WWE (and John Cena) has trained wrestling fans to not think that babyfaces would all be friends with each other.

• Like 2

The word literally was not in the common lexicon until quite recently. People used to just use Truly or Sincerely. But then lots of people used to use them in connection with untruth and insincerity, to the point that they lost all meaning, so they literally had to find another word to use when expressing genuine truth, rather than simile.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Hence, with an epidemic of hyperbolic people using Literally to mean Figuratively, the colloquial definition of the word has shifted.

Nobody has ever used "literally" to mean "figuratively". They use it as an intensifier, which is a different thing entirely.

• Like 1

I only watch AEW Dark on YouTube and I've been enjoying it. The show isn't perfect by any means, but I like their commitment to using top guys to try and establish young dudes. This easily could've been self-masturbatory with The Bucks and Cody or Omega holding the belts and they resisted the urge. Good on them. 

I like where Spears is at with Tully, hating all the hardcore and gimmicky dudes. If he recruits someone like a heel Adam Page to take a run at the tag titles, it could be fun. MJF has potential, and both Cody and Jericho are killing it on the mic. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxB said:

The word literally was not in the common lexicon until quite recently. People used to just use Truly or Sincerely. But then lots of people used to use them in connection with untruth and insincerity, to the point that they lost all meaning, so they literally had to find another word to use when expressing genuine truth, rather than simile.

Oh for fuck's sake

I literally could care less irregardless.  I just figured I would hit all of my hot button linguistic annoyances.

AEW Dark

Sammy Guevara vs Brandon Cutler

Sammy is a favorite of mine but he needs to cut out his power spots because the Samoan drop looked really bad and the finish looked like something he’s going to struggle to hit on anyone 220 lbs or more.  Cutler kicking out of a shooting star press is coco bananas. Add Sammy to the list of guys with a cutter variation who doesn’t need one. Enough with the critique though, I liked the opening minutes of Sammy doing spots and really milking them and Cutler actually threw some decent punches during one exchange.  If Bob Cook taught us anything, it’s that a punch can carry a job guy if that is all he’s given.

Four Team Cluster

Right decision to put PnP over in my mind and I think Cassidy was used perfectly in this match. Angelico hasn’t really done anything in AEW to highlight himself to my mind, I’m not sure what he’s adding to the show at this point. PnP being so silly is still somewhat grating but at least we know they have babyface charisma if it ever comes to that.

Janella vs Spears

If you are going to put Janella over, it’s probably best to do it as he’s dressed as Santa with Jesus looking on.  Spears bringing back heel stooging is a pretty good role for him and he looked better without the Mohawk. Paring down all his gimmicks is a pretty good idea. Janella ... sucks. His facials are some of the worst I’ve ever seen. I don’t know if he’s going for anything other than being punchable but that’s all he’s doing. I still believe his best role in wrestling would be a heel manager mugging for the camera and getting his face pushed in on occasion. 

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1