DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

Butcher and Blade wouldn't need much of a gimmick change to be leg breakers/organized mob associates.  MJF hired them to begin with, maybe you could bring in Marty as their boss down the road.  MJF would have just been a customer.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Goodear said:

I had a long car ride yesterday and thought about AEW way too much.

RE: Dark Order, I don't think its a terrible idea to have a real cult in a wrestling context. I think they jumped the gun in putting them in the main event with the Elite as they needed to establish them down the card and give them a chance to get over. Now we've obviously seen cults before like Kevin Sullivan or the Wyatt Family but its never bled into the 'real world' and I think that's a hook the Dark Order could use to really step out of the shadow of those previous gimmicks.

I'm thinking someone along the lines of Fight Club where you didn't know who was a member of Project Mayhem and so the police officers you call for help could be part of the cult. I would start with a few plants in the crowd donning masks during their matches and maybe show recruiting booths in the concourse of the building as a means of starting the angle.  If you can get the actual crowd to take masks (or better yet, buy them) to be part of the show, all the better. They could then start inserting Dark Order members into backstage segments in random places like security, production, concessions, medical basically anywhere you see civilians could work as a place to work in the gimmick.

Again I would make this a slow build, it seems like something that would work for a feud with the Jurassic Express rather than as a main event angle to start. I liked the visual of Luchasaurus unmasking to show a Dark Order mask underneath in my head but that's probably a bad move with him considering his potential as a face.

I am fully on board with this, and now when it doesn't play out exactly as you have written, I will forever be angry that it didn't. Super excellent idea, I like the correlation to the Project Mayhem vibe. They could be anywhere at anytime, and that's how someone gets castrated.

• Like 1

In an incredible bit of timing I asked in the Dynamite thread for Statlander to interact with Best Friends. And sure as shit on BTE that's exactly what happened. It was so amazing and has me wanting much more.

Also really loved Matt taking the piss out of the phantom punches and Hangman on a drunken escapade. 

• Like 1

Cody/Dustin vs Lucha Bros on the 1/8 show sounds cool and all but why are we just throwing out these matches that could be built up and be actual feuds? As of my last count Cody is feuding with Spears, Inner Circle, Butcher, Blade, MJF, Wardlow, Dark Order. That's at least 15 guys right there. Can't we just pick one or two of them? Also, since Cody and Dustin are treated as super babyfaces, does that mean Lucha Bros are officially heels? If so, why? Crowd wants to love them & their moves always get them cheered anyways.

Just a weird match announcement if you ask me.

Lucha Bros have always been heels in AEW. You can tell because they always enter from the left sided entrance. And they sneak attacked mega babyfaces SCU twice in the first two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Cody/Dustin vs Lucha Bros on the 1/8 show sounds cool and all but why are we just throwing out these matches that could be built up and be actual feuds? As of my last count Cody is feuding with Spears, Inner Circle, Butcher, Blade, MJF, Wardlow, Dark Order. That's at least 15 guys right there. Can't we just pick one or two of them? Also, since Cody and Dustin are treated as super babyfaces, does that mean Lucha Bros are officially heels? If so, why? Crowd wants to love them & their moves always get them cheered anyways.

Just a weird match announcement if you ask me.

Uh, Cody hasn't been feuding with Shawn Spears since, like, August.

Inner Circle stuff ended after Full Gear.

And I doubt he's involved with the Dark Order stuff beyond running out to potentially save his friends.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Uh, Cody hasn't been feuding with Shawn Spears since, like, August.

Inner Circle stuff ended after Full Gear.

And I doubt he's involved with the Dark Order stuff beyond running out to potentially save his friends.

To add to the pile on, why is Wardlow listed separately from MJF as if Wardlow's motivations are anything other than working for MJF? You could make the same argument for BBB.

I also doubt Cody is involved in the Dark Order angle outside of being a good friend by trying to help his friends getting beaten down.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To add to the pile on, why is Wardlow listed separately from MJF as if Wardlow's motivations are anything other than working for MJF? You could make the same argument for BBB.

Gotta pad out the numbers for that weird claim that Cody is feuding with 15 people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, that was an interesting take.

Sorry I forget children don't understand actual wrestling terms these days.

Replace the word 'feud' with 'tied in with'. There is zero reason Cody & Dustin should want anything to do with the Lucha Bros when they are TIED IN WITH about 15 other guys at the moment. Why do they want this match? Why does Cody want Darby Allin the week before? Shouldn't Dustin be more interested in the guy who slammed a door on his hand? One of his friends who helped set the attack up? One of the masked men who beat the shit out of him last Wednesday?

People here saying hope we get the match beyond with babyfaces vs heels who have wronged them & Cody/Dustin are all... nah bro, we cool. Give us the Lucha Bros. Awesome.

BTW - Penta literally leads the entire crowd in 'cero miedo' chants (a babyface move) & was sneak attacked (something heels do to get heat) by Daniels to get eliminated in the Dynamite Dozen battle royale. Hard to imagine where you could see the line blurred between face and heel.

It's so weird AEW crazies are so sensitive about pointing out shit that makes no sense. That segment from week 3 or 4 with Cody & friends going into the box to attack/brawl with the Inner Circle was perfect understanding of babyface/heel dynamics & the hottest angle of the year on TV in North America. How we went from that to how the show ended last week & some idiot in this thread saying "Inner Circle stuff ended after Full Gear"... like what the fuck guys. There's another company out there if you wanna get treated like a moron.

I guess I missed where Cody didn't stop feuding with the Inner Circle after Full Gear and transitioned into feuding with MJF. Silly me, I guess I really am an idiot and a child! I mean, it's not like Jericho hasn't moved onto a two week feud with Jungle Boy, and his current program is Jon Moxley.  Nah, of course, Cody and Jericho are still feuding even though they've barely had any interaction since Full Gear.

Fuck outta here.

EDIT: Oh, gotta love the defending of a lucha guy, too. Penta is a face? I guess we're just forgetting that the Lucha Bros sneak attacked SCU during the tag title tournament, which caused Daniels to be out of action and that's why Scorpio Sky had to take his place. But, yeah, totally. I'm an AEW crazy fan because I actually remember past shows.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

Why would they take the match?  Everyone else doesn't want to face them (MJF, Jericho have no reason to) , they want a good match to improve their position /get into tag rankings for a tag team shot?

Lucha Bros are tweeners to me, heels against some teams, faces against others.  AEW kinda has the sliding scale NJPW does, where you see Suzuki-Gun cheered against Bullet Club, because they're at least honorable scumbags.  

Edited by alstein

I think it's more than fair to say the face/heel dynamic is more blurred than it should be, and Lucha Bros aren't the only example. The crowd booing the heels would certainly be helpful.

That being said, @Robert, if you want people to read your opinions, take them seriously, and discuss them, it would go over a lot better if you refrained from calling people children, crazies, and idiots. People are sensitive enough about AEW criticism as it is. 

• Like 2

Cody does have a lot going on, I don't think we can really deny that so having random matches against two guys he could have a program down the line with seems like a waste of blowing the match off needlessly. I also don't understand why you'd team him with Dustin after just going to the trouble of saying Dustin couldn't help him against The Triple B because Dustin was busy with the Inner Circle. I would agree that Dustin should be angrier about the arm thing and they should have had a match with Hager by now to move that along. It feels forgotten almost and that seems like a shame after the hotness of the parking lot angle.

As a whole, AEW seems like they are moving through angles very quickly when they have a smallish 40-man, 10-women roster. While there is obviously a point of running feuds into the ground, this seems like they are leaving plot points on the cutting room floor to get the movie under 90 minutes.  On one hand, I appreciate that there are people in multiple angles because you want to get the very over Jericho and Cody involved with the rest of the roster.  But I don't think the company is very focused and they're trying to do it with too many people at one time (Darby, Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus, Dark Order, etc).

• Like 1

It does feel a little like they're throwing a lot of shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. Maybe they're only thinking as far as it's an anniversary edition of Dynamite and they want a big match for it. A bit short sighted if you ask me but that seems to be a re-occurring theme with AEW booking.

Cody has a lot going on, but the only reason he's connected to people like Wardlow, Butcher & The Blade is because of MJF. He's not feuding with the Inner Circle or Shawn Spears, so it's really just him involved with one person who is putting multiple roadblocks in Cody's way to getting his hands on him. Too early to tell on the Dark Order stuff, but I chalk up people like Omega, Cody, Dustin, etc. running in for the save to help the Young Bucks as just friends trying to help their friends. I think the program going forward will be Dark Order vs The Young Bucks, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone really given how much the Bucks talked them up in the first few months of 2019.

• Like 2

Cody's also got the rivalry with Darby.

I don't know why MJF isn't on the show more. He seems underutilized when he could be at least hosting a Piper's Pitt-type segment every week.

I wouldn't really classify that as a rivalry, though. Darby went to a draw with Cody the first time, it's barely been brought up since until last week, now Darby gets his rematch (presumably) on January 1st. I doubt it goes further than that match.

Look, I know it sounds like I'm making excuses for the company or whatever. But Cody is only in a feud with one person, and that's MJF. This stuff with Butcher & The Blade and now maybe Darby for a week is just to extend it out further since I imagine they want Cody versus MJF to happen at that February PPV, and that's a lot of TV time to fill if you don't want them touching until then. The fact that Dustin's first match since the arm injury angle isn't until January 8th tells me that they want to stretch the Dustin/Hager stuff out until Revolution, too. Maybe they lean into some kind of kayfabe "I wasn't cleared until just now" or whatever.

But, yeah, I agree about MJF. I don't think he's been on the show since the week before Butcher & The Blade debuted, which is just weird. I don't think he's injured, but wasn't there talked of him being hurt since he's only been in like two matches since Dynamite started (plus the battle royale)?