DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Both of the Bucks have deleted their Twitter. Wise men. 

Matt’s account is back, I guess? Looks like it’ll be a shared account, though.

Evil Uno out here turning it into an angle, though.

Although there's no Dynamite on TNT next Wednesday, there will be one on Fite. Just a 'Best of 2019 special' though. Which seems redundant, given that every minute of every episode is already available on the platform, but we'll take what we can get.

The stuff Meltzer's been saying lately about AEW being WWE-lite, reminding him of late-period WCW, being less of an alternative to WWE than NXT, etc. resonates with me.

I've been pessimistic about AEW since before Dynamite started, despite really wanting them to succeed, because I've been worried that the show would indulge in goofy sports-entertainment stuff to a self-destructive degree. One look at "Being the Elite" tells you that these guys love that kind of thing. Hell, the promotion's existence is an outgrowth of the popularity of the Bullet Club, which was itself based on a bunch of warmed-over stuff from the Attitude Era.

That's why I never bought all the serious sports-based product talk. I don't think that things like the Nightmare Family or Kris Statlander the space alien are growing pains. I think this is the show. This is, at least in part, what they always wanted it to be.

WWE, meanwhile, has been really smart in (a) meeting some of the demand for a main roster WWE alternative with NXT, (b) using it to counterprogram AEW, and (c) hoarding vast amounts of talent. Now AEW has to find its feet on TV against an established, high-quality show, that a big chunk of their own audience knows and respects, and that (despite being a WWE production) doesn't indulge in goofy sports-entertainment stuff nearly as much.

In the long run, I don't think it's going to work out in AEW's favor. But I really hope I'm wrong. I think I want AEW to succeed more than I want to personally enjoy it. The wrestling world is just so much more interesting with it around.

Edited by MapRef41N93W
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If I were an AEW fan, if true, that story of Tony Khan coming out after the show was over, drinking beers with the guys in the ring and hitting a stunner on someone (was it spears?) would worry me. 

This might be the dumbest thing said in an AEW thread.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If I were an AEW fan, if true, that story of Tony Khan coming out after the show was over, drinking beers with the guys in the ring and hitting a stunner on someone (was it spears?) would worry me. 

Come on man. You admitted to not even watching the show or following it. They've also had little kids from the audience regularly come into the ring and pin some of the top guys. They're having fun with the cameras off for the people who decided to stay. There's literally not one thing to worry about there.

• Like 3

When you have 4 VPs plus other guys with creative control you going to have different directions. Khan out right said AEW would be more sports based than WWE, in comparison to Raw and SDLive yes, but not in comparison to NXT. When NXT became what it was now back in 2013 I said to my self why follow ROH when I could watch this every week and get a more inring based serious product. I feel the same way with AEW especially from someone who works late alot.  You have New Japan becoming a thing too over here. You can't become 3rd or 4th place when its comes to your inring product especially if your or going to have to filter through alot of eyerolling stuff for your audience.

Between AEW and NXT live, I chose AEW because I can watch NXT later on the Network on my day off. 

AEW is coming to my area soon but I'd much rather go to the New Japan show instead around that time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Casey said:

This might be the dumbest thing said in an AEW thread.

We've had someone say that AEW is a billion times better than any North American wrestling of the past 20 years, and someone else say they would literally take a bullet for Cody. The bar is a lot higher than you think.

• Thanks 1

Was that literally literally though, or just figuratively literally? Because the word is no longer an absolute. Linguistic evolution, you might not like it, but it's undeniable.

21 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

We've had someone say that AEW is a billion times better than any North American wrestling of the past 20 years, and someone else say they would literally take a bullet for Cody. The bar is a lot higher than you think.

Okay, it’s in the top 5 then. Still a dumb thing to say.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Are we counting all the dumb shit Thibs and his alter-ego have said?

Yes and no. He had sound points, even if they were meaningless in 2019, but at least they somewhat made sense. I can’t wrap my head around the idea of someone being worried that Tony Khan having a little bit of fun after the show is off air (and the last Dark match was taped) would worry someone about the status of AEW going forward.

Khan has been on Dynamite for a total of 5 seconds, and it was off camera. Until he’s an on screen presence every week, has his own storylines, wrestling in matches, etc... miss me with that bullshit.

EDIT: Anyway, here's this:

Per Tokyo Sports, Hiroshi Tanahashi says if he beats Chris Jericho on 1/5 at the Tokyo Dome, then he will open the “forbidden door” by asking for an AEW world title shot.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I had a long car ride yesterday and thought about AEW way too much.

RE: Dark Order, I don't think its a terrible idea to have a real cult in a wrestling context. I think they jumped the gun in putting them in the main event with the Elite as they needed to establish them down the card and give them a chance to get over. Now we've obviously seen cults before like Kevin Sullivan or the Wyatt Family but its never bled into the 'real world' and I think that's a hook the Dark Order could use to really step out of the shadow of those previous gimmicks.

I'm thinking someone along the lines of Fight Club where you didn't know who was a member of Project Mayhem and so the police officers you call for help could be part of the cult. I would start with a few plants in the crowd donning masks during their matches and maybe show recruiting booths in the concourse of the building as a means of starting the angle.  If you can get the actual crowd to take masks (or better yet, buy them) to be part of the show, all the better. They could then start inserting Dark Order members into backstage segments in random places like security, production, concessions, medical basically anywhere you see civilians could work as a place to work in the gimmick.

Again I would make this a slow build, it seems like something that would work for a feud with the Jurassic Express rather than as a main event angle to start. I liked the visual of Luchasaurus unmasking to show a Dark Order mask underneath in my head but that's probably a bad move with him considering his potential as a face.

In terms of having too many of these dark cult angles, I would slightly repackage Butcher and The Blade to more of a old school mercenary/leg breaker gimmick.  I think Blade would have to lose the mask and Bunny would have to de-dominatrix a bit which is a bit of a shame but we need to clean up the presentation here.  The Nightmare Family just seems to me like its not working at all and they'd be better off having Brandi just manage Kong without the voodoo witch stuff.

RE: Show restructuring, I know no one likes authority figures in principle but they do serve a purpose and I think they could use one if only to explain why Cody, Kenny and The Bucks don't just make whatever matches they want. Patterning this after Regal who I think we can agree checks all the boxes you would want (good promo, legitimate credentials, ability to be serious or not as needed), I would put Arn Anderson in the role.

RE: Tully Blanchard, I want him to be doing more.  I would want to run a angle where as he's trying to find Spears a partner and settles on himself as the guy mostly in promo, maybe have them work one squash where Spears does all the work and Tully just comes in for the spike piledriver. I thought getting them a shot against SCU could then lead to Daniels turning heel on the team (since he's not doing anything really) to set up the real Blanchard team of Daniels and Spears against SCU as a tag team program.

• Like 1

The sky isn't falling and I don't see a real long-term effect, but if you're trying to do the "send the fans home happy" segment, shouldn't you be putting your top babyface(s) over and not the non-wrestling owner who doesn't appear on TV? The logic of WWE's McMahon-focused missteps still applies here: if this time is being used to have fun with Tony, the time is not being used to put a wrestler over. It doesn't matter if it's "just" a post-show segment. It's ringtime. It's the last thing the live crowd sees. It can be used more effectively.

I'm not (and I don't think anyone was) saying "this is just as bad as the McMahons!!!!" I'm saying it's a misstep. Give the wrestlers some shine instead of having fun with the AEW universe.

• Like 1

Re: Authority figures-Tony Khan is the authority figure in AEW. People can downplay the closed door segment with Moxley, but it clearly set him up as the guy with the final say. Fortunately, they haven’t used him in that capacity since, but it’s been established that he’s that guy.

You know how Moxley has "Mox" written down the back of his jacket? Is that just short for Moxley, or does it stand for Master Of Xitties?