DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Tonight's show should be fun.  Jungle Jack- Jericho is going to be similar to Pillman-Flair from April of 91.  Jack's chance to shine is tonight.  I like that Jack is the one in this spot and not Marko or Luchasauraus.  

Dentist vs Alien could be good. I am assuming they will get a lot of time.  

Page and Omega vs Lucha Bros could have been good but I assume Page turns on Omega here and it we get more of a storyline than a great match. 

Not sure if a 4th match has been named or not but between this and NXT  you can't really go wrong tonight. 

Bucks/SCU for the tag titles, Awesome Kong in action, and Cody & Darby Allin vs The Butcher & The Blade w/ The Bunny.

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

Bucks/SCU for the tag titles, Awesome Kong in action, and Cody & Darby Allin vs The Butcher & The Blade w/ The Bunny.

assuming Kong has a squash and we get new tag champs.  This will be a fun show.  I also assume Darby will take a huge beating from Butcher & the Blade and will keep coming back for more. 

Ok, so every time Orange Cassidy has been on TV, he's been wildly fucking over. It's crazy how over this guy is.

Is he someone that could be the top guy of the company and a draw? It really feels like it with how the crowd has taken to him.

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ok, so every time Orange Cassidy has been on TV, he's been wildly fucking over. It's crazy how over this guy is.

Is he someone that could be the top guy of the company and a draw? It really feels like it with how the crowd has taken to him.

The ticket sales haven’t increased since tv began, so I think the live crowds are the diehard fans that have been following along. My two friends who are casual fans at best both get a big kick out of him, but I don’t know how far that will go. 

I would suspect not because if he's going to be the top guy, he's going to have to be on television as much as Jericho/Cody are now. I'm not sure people will still find it as entertaining if the gimmick is exposed to that extent. Can he be this laid back guy who doesn't talk for 20-30 minutes at a pop? I would ere on the side of making him pop up in other segments like he did in the bathroom that one time almost as a cameo, divorce him from the Best Friends and let him bounce off other characters on the show. It's a discipline thing to keep comedy acts hot by not having them everywhere they could be so they don't become tired. I know this is opposite of striking when the iron is hot (which I normally advocate for) but it would be a real stretch to put OC in such a prominent position.  I think the best way to experiment with that would be to (for example) make him the punishment partner for Cody in the tag match from last week. 

I am a huge Orange Cassidy fan but I really think the reveal of "holy shit, Orange Cassidy can actually wrestle" should have been saved for an important match on Dynamite. One of the things I had been loving with AEW so far was the slow burn they seemed to have been doing with him. I had worked myself to a point where I genuinely thought they were saving that for the next big "Jericho vs rising star" match. 

• Like 1

He's managed to become a big deal on YouTube reaction channels, but the people who watch those don't watch TV (or buy tickets to live shows, or watch original YouTube videos without a random guy in the bottom left saying Damn or Sheeee every thirty seconds) so it might be hard to capitalise on that.

I do like the idea of him being the one guy to overwhelm a gang of heels who are beating down the whole babyface roster though. Or putting him in the Scorpio Sky/Jungle Boy spot with Jericho only facing random non contenders.

27 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I am a huge Orange Cassidy fan but I really think the reveal of "holy shit, Orange Cassidy can actually wrestle" should have been saved for an important match on Dynamite. One of the things I had been loving with AEW so far was the slow burn they seemed to have been doing with him. I had worked myself to a point where I genuinely thought they were saving that for the next big "Jericho vs rising star" match. 

I mean, if we’re being honest about this, they haven’t done the entire reveal of “holy shit OC can actually go”. On this week’s Dark, he basically did his normal spots we’ve seen from him in AEW thus far, plus.... what, a Lucha-like DDT?

We’ve yet to see him go all out (no pun intended) like most of us know he can. There’s been no OC vs David Starr type match for him in AEW (yet).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

The ticket sales haven’t increased since tv began, so I think the live crowds are the diehard fans that have been following along. My two friends who are casual fans at best both get a big kick out of him, but I don’t know how far that will go. 

He also hasn't been pushed as a draw yet or put in a featured program.

Tonight, Hangman Page turns on Omega during their tag team match vs Lucha Brothers. 

Later on during the Main Event Hangman Page costs Young Bucks their Title match vs World Champions SCU. 

Hangman Page gets help from Inner Circle when Omega attempts to help Young Bucks survive the beat down. 

Hangman Page eventually becomes the leader of Inner Circle once Jericho loses the World Championship and takes a break to go do a tour with his rock band. 

How do I know this...because...

The Shadow knows....

Edited by Flair’s Shadow

1 minute ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Tonight, Hangman Page turns on Omega during their tag team match vs Lucha Brothers. 

Later on during the Main Event Hangman Page costs Young Bucks their Title match vs World Champions SCU. 

Hangman Page gets help from Inner Circle when Omega attempts to help Young Bucks survive the beat down. 

Hangman Page eventually becomes the leader of Inner Circle once Jericho loses the World Championship and takes a break to go do a tour with his rock band. 

The Shadow knows....

Or....

Page joins the Dark Order and feuds with Omega and The Bucks

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

The best thing about AEW Dark this week, in fact, possibly in wrestling this year is Vickie’s audible gasp when Orange Cassidy done his no hands dive. It was one of the sweetest things I’ve ever heard in wrestling. Such a motherly reaction!

Vickie would be an asset to AEW as a manager.  Seeing her get happy over Private Party was great.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

The Shadow knows....

I see your AEW prediction record going 2-2 with this one.

7 hours ago, Zartan said:

I see your AEW prediction record going 2-2 with this one.

and it went 0-4 instead 

I'll let you in on a secret, @Flair's Shadow doesn't actually know. Well, he knows about alimony.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

My wife asked if the Dark Order were cannibals. I didn’t know how to explain or where to begin, so I said yes. Now she’s been occasionally muttering in a deep whisper “Dark Orrrrder!”

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

My wife asked if the Dark Order were cannibals. I didn’t know how to explain or where to begin, so I said yes. Now she’s been occasionally muttering in a deep whisper “Dark Orrrrder!”

That's funny given some of the characters that Uno has done in Inter Species Wrestling, like Flip D. Burger.

• Like 1

Dark Review:

I watched this on mute so I have no concrete responses to Vicki or Janella's commentary. I do not like the reports I've seen where Janella is carrying on his "feuds" with people who don't work with the company.  The top heels of the company can't be Vince, Cornette and Enzo. You can't sell tickets to that so don't bother.

SCU vs Private Party

PRO: I liked some of the heelish stuff SCU did with the kick from the apron from Scorpio being the highlight.  That felt organic to me. SCU always feel smooth with very few hiccups. 

CONS: Marq's footwork is terrible and while he can do a beautiful set of dives, his ability to do other things is questionable at best. It looks like he could use basic training courses to hammer his fundamentals. Cassidy does a poor job of wrestling in the moment in that he goes to the crowd too often and in the wrong spots when he should be at a point in the match when it is a more desperate moment.  The match itself felt like it went on too long with too many false finishes. I know that's not the house style but man, it would be so much easier for younger guys to work simple matches with simple structure.

Britt Baker vs. Machiko

PRO: Squashes are fine. Baker is better in storyline than Machiko and so beating her easily is good. 

CON: It was boring though. Baker working over Machiko wasn't interesting and her spots (sling blade, Russian leg sweep) felt awkward with very little snap on them. 

Kris Statlander vs Bea Priestly

PRO: Much more professional feeling than the other women's match. Both of these guys have good looks that stand out. The boop to me is cute although I don't know if coupling it with the dip was the right place to put it. 

CON: Both had moments where it looked like they were trying to miss moves to the extent that the person who moved didn't have to actually move to avoid them.  This was on a forward flip from Statlander early (just after a Bea sold a phantom kick) and a knee from Bea later in the match.  I would say it went too long and should have ended on the axe kick.

Pac, Jack Evans & Angelico vs. The Best Friends & Orange Cassidy

PRO: OC is over. Pac going over Chuck Taylor was the right call.

CON: I agree that this should have been on the big show. Put the over acts where the audience can see them. This was my thought last week as well when they gave away Marko's first win.

• Like 2