DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

16 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I'm hoping AEW parts ways with Hager leading to Hager putting over Luchasaurus clean on the way out and getting replaced by him in the Inner Circle when he turns on Jack Perry.

This is a terrible idea.

• Like 4

On 12/13/2019 at 1:13 PM, Goodear said:

Yes, I think AEW is "bad" as a whole. There are obviously good things on the show but if I were to grade shows from top to bottom, I find a lot of problems with the promotion. I think if you look at my posts, you will see a lot of them outlined. No one really seems to want to engage with those arguments and mostly I get agreement on the particulars. A whole lot of bad segments add up to a bad show. I reviewed 3 segments yesterday and had major issues with all of them.  Here they are in short form for your convenience...

Cody & QT vs The Butcher and The Blade - Person who got the most rub was the 'punishment' partner.  The guy being saddled with the bad partner didn't react to the situation other than being sad that he lost. B&B didn't look good in victory.

Kenny & Page vs Sabian & Spears - Janela kidnapping Tully looked super fake and Joey came out looking worse both morally and physically as Shawn beat him away at ease. 

Bucks vs Pride N Powerful - Seemed pretty jokey for (I assume) the blow off to a feud.  PNP and Bucks goofed around too much to be taken seriously. The powerbomb through the stage seemed like it was checking a box rather than being at all organic.

If I'm wrong, tell me why.  I'm not here to say, "Good show' every week if its not good.  I'm not interested in that.  I'm also not interested in saying its better than another worse bad show I'm not watching. 

Cody had QT on as a guest, and it was established they were friendly.  Given the possibilities MJF could have done as his partner- I was expecting Wardlow to be the partner, Cody got off pretty easy.

1) good to see the ad acknowledges that the SEC Arena is in Independence even if they’ll keep saying Kansas City. Good to see that they didn’t try booking the former Kemper Arena (which is now Hy-Vee Arena and has been an afterthought since the Sprint Center opened)

2) I was at the 2017 NXT show in this arena and they used the south side of the arena (as opposed to TNA in 2010, which I also attended, which used the north side). The arena has 5800 seats for Hockey so when you factor in seats lost for the set and seats gained on the floor.

3) I’ll wait to see if prices dip (or if they start giving them away) closer to the show.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:23 PM, AxB said:

The reason why Hikaru Shida isn't in the number one contenders match on Wednesday is, she's in Japan all next week.

they could have waited for her to return though. They didn't need a different number 1 contenders match just to fill a slot. You could have still ran with Brit and Stratlander it didn't have to be for the number 1 contender spot. 

7 hours ago, AxB said:

The other show they announced today is in Atlanta GA.

At the Hawks arena. Like a 14k seater, when Gwinnett Center is 15 minutes up 85 and is a 4500-5000 seater. I'll be there, and I know lots of otehr folks will, but filling that bitch is gonna be a tall order....

8 minutes ago, just drew said:

At the Hawks arena. Like a 14k seater, when Gwinnett Center is 15 minutes up 85 and is a 4500-5000 seater. I'll be there, and I know lots of otehr folks will, but filling that bitch is gonna be a tall order....

Well, if the Omni was still around, they would go there instead. Either way, it would be a lot to ask in terms of ticket sales.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, if the Omni was still around, they would go there instead. Either way, it would be a lot to ask in terms of ticket sales.

State Farm is built on the same spot the Omni was on.

• Like 1

Statlander vs. Bea from this week's Dark was fun but too long as is the usual with the women's division. They have some really bright spots in them in that in isolation they do some things very well but as a whole the match was pretty meandering and didn't really do much for me. There is a lot of potential with both of them and I hope they can tie down Priestley. I know that's unlikely with her and Will living in Japan now but damn.

Statlander cut a promo in a freight elevator that was very silly and not particularly in a good way. This alien stuff is dumb and a hindrance imo. It could work with some heavy evolution into something less silly but saying halfhearted puns and space themed shit isn't gonna cut it and this is coming from somebody who has been very impressed with her work in AEW.

Evans/Angelico/Pac vs. Best Friends main event of Dark. I like it.

So I feel like they gave away too much OC progression here. He countered the Pac big boot that Pac nailed him with in their last interaction and then hit a satellite DDT. He was incredibly over and that got a huge pop. The entire (fun) match was all built around the OC hot tag and it paid off. Double heat segments, one for each of Trent and Chuck to set it up. Good stuff. 

If you're a fan of The Best Friends, watch that match. If not, don't bother. It's good but good isn't anything you don't see on most every wrestling show these days. 

Tonight's show should be fun.  Jungle Jack- Jericho is going to be similar to Pillman-Flair from April of 91.  Jack's chance to shine is tonight.  I like that Jack is the one in this spot and not Marko or Luchasauraus.  

Dentist vs Alien could be good. I am assuming they will get a lot of time.  

Page and Omega vs Lucha Bros could have been good but I assume Page turns on Omega here and it we get more of a storyline than a great match. 

Not sure if a 4th match has been named or not but between this and NXT  you can't really go wrong tonight. 

• Like 2