DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

I feel like the only one here that adores Emi.  She's definitely miscast as a heel because as a face I'm sure people would want to join in.  But as a heel it leads to confusion which doesn't help her.  But I do love her as a heel and if she were to drop the cosplay then I think that would help her a lot.

And count me in as somebody that would love to see Hunico with PnP.  Him as either fired up manager or third member of the team would be grand.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Emi as a badass veteran who is conniving and shitty to younger talent, who wins via cheating and/or cunning veteran outwrestling style?  Great.

Add a nonsensical Freddie Mercury gimmick on top of that?  Makes no sense.

If Emi Sakura came out doing a Miss Hannigan gimmick (not horny for any rich dude, but you know, treating others like garbage), acting like a complete piece of shit to her opponents, cheating, pulling hair, AND pandering to the crowd and acting surprised when they hate her? Perfect.

Otherwise, yeah, like you said, what she's doing makes no sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

The Ascension were in that stable with Cody for a bit, I'm sure the connection is there. I don't remember who suggested they go to NWA but I like that idea a lot better. 

That was myself - I just think they're big enough but not overly flashy, and would fit the mold great, plus NWA is light on tag teams at the moment. Id certainly enjoy the hell out of them and the Dawsons throwing bombs at each other. 

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Everything about Emi Sakura is wrong. It's honestly the thing that embarrasses me about AEW the most. Even more than how ridiculous it is to have a bunch of different grimdark heel stables. It may be the thing that bugs me the most out of anything in AEW or WWE and that covers a lot of ground. Get her off my TV on Wednesdays.

Ha, this embarrasses you?  Wha!? AEW is already the least embarrassing American wrestling company I’ve ever followed.  

Emi Sakura is a fun performer with a bizarre Mercury act that is just fine.  Could it use some polish?  Sure.  I don’t quite get the hate.  The ‘We will rock you’ thing as a heel is a cocky taunt - works fine.  I’m with @NikoBaltimore concerning Emi, in that I’m a fan.

I sorta agree on the two too many cultish acts, but I’m also patient enough to see where it goes.  The aew booking team hasn’t really failed me yet.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's completely subjective, but I'd hardly describe her as fun or anything other than dead weight. And that she's embarrassing to watch doesn't mean anything else about AEW is embarrassing to me considering I've raved about or really enjoyed nearly every episode.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Emi Sakura is a fun performer with a bizarre Mercury act that is just fine.  Could it use some polish?  Sure.  I don’t quite get the hate.  The ‘We will rock you’ thing as a heel is a cocky taunt - works fine.  I’m with @NikoBaltimore concerning Emi, in that I’m a fan.

I'm with you two, have loved Emi's run here and am glad she's stuck around past just the one PPV. Her and Riho was probably my favorite overall match at Full Gear, loved the finishing sequence. And yeah her heel taunt, it's the crowd that chooses to clap along with her.

• Like 3

Whooooaaaa, they revealed on Dark that the Young Bucks vs. Santana & Ortiz in a Texas street fight (not death match!) tomorrow on Dynamite. Fuck yeah. They had Excalibur talking up their past in Guerrilla Warfare tags. Great. I like this. I like this a lot.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Whooooaaaa, they revealed on Dark that the Young Bucks vs. Santana & Ortiz in a Texas street fight (not death match!) tomorrow on Dynamite. Fuck yeah. They had Excalibur talking up their past in Guerrilla Warfare tags. Great. I like this. I like this a lot.

I feel like we knew this before Dynamite went off the air last week.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Creative has nothing for them, eh?

At least we're getting all the librarian segments we could ever want.

Zero is the number I wanted.  I like Bates and Avalon, but the gimmick..... I am amused they gave the gimmick to two people who look not at all like any librarian I've ever met.  Admittedly, I'm too old and middle class to hang out in many emo libraries populated by blue-haired women.

Speaking of Emi and the women's division, someone needs to explain Riho's appeal to me.  I don't actively dislike wrestlers very often, but Riho might be  my least favorite wrestler (with regular tv time) since Santino.  She doesn't strike me as anything exceptional in-ring and nothing about the gimmick or her skills works for me.  I've enjoyed enough joshi over the years to be fine with the idea of tiny Japanese women as bad asses, but Riho just doesn't seem credible to me as any sort of physical threat.  

Edited by Whodathunkit
  • Sad 1