DVDVR Message Board

NXT DISCUSSION - DEC 2019

RIPPA

I will decided if for the new year how I want to do NXT threads - but for now will stay the course

Candice Lerae - "oral lacerations"

Bobby Fish - not medically cleared and is day to day

So basically they just made a random "injury report" to have content

How legit bad is that Bobby Fish injury? Feels like it’s getting time for him to hang it up, especially is UE are going to keep being featured heavily in gimmick matches. Not sure who could replace him in the group if they want to do that but if it were me it would be a big time heater.

@paintedbynumbers just to reply to your last comment in the November thread, "in the real world" how many people would be able to slam co-workers with documented mental issues without repercussions in a place other than WWE where it seems like bully culture is celebrated? 

At the end of the day, the problem isn't the victim and how he dealt with being attacked....it's the asshole that attacked him.

• Like 1

Saying Mauro shouldn’t have a job because he’s bipolar is no different than saying JR should’ve been benched after his palsy attacks. It’s a health issue beyond their control and yes, sometimes it can get in the way but it doesn’t take away from their overall contribution as a commentator. (Whether Mauro is your cup of tea is immaterial.)

Also any company worth a shit has a provision for mental health leave. Maybe if Graves had used some for himself he wouldn’t be so insecure he feels the need to take unnecessary shots on Twitter.

Edited by Godfrey

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

How legit bad is that Bobby Fish injury? Feels like it’s getting time for him to hang it up, especially is UE are going to keep being featured heavily in gimmick matches. Not sure who could replace him in the group if they want to do that but if it were me it would be a big time heater.

I could see Fish being their JJ / Ole going forward. I firmly believe that The UE is the closest thing we will ever see to The 4 Horsemen in terms of guys who go out there every night and bust their asses. Bobby Fish can slide into the JJ / Ole role on screen while being a trainer / producer off. To replace him would be tough. I see so much Tully in Strong, and would like to have him remain a singles competitor. 

Maybe someone like Jordan Devlin or Chad Gable? That goes against their need for a heater - but I cant think of a heater that would fit their mold.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

@paintedbynumbers just to reply to your last comment in the November thread, "in the real world" how many people would be able to slam co-workers with documented mental issues without repercussions in a place other than WWE where it seems like bully culture is celebrated? 

At the end of the day, the problem isn't the victim and how he dealt with being attacked....it's the asshole that attacked him.

i think where we disagree is that I don't see it as he 'slammed him'.  He acknowledged the other 2 commentators as they didn't really have a chance to say much over Mauro. He didn't swear, name call, bring up any illness. He said what I am sure millions were thinking.  Maybe he shouldn't have on social media I agree with you there, but to say he slammed him isn't really an accurate statement. 

I think he was trying to get a rise out of the twitter followers. He obviously didn't think how it would hurt Mauro. Graves doesn't know what it's like to have a mental illness, nor do I.  He probably didn't think twice sending the tweet. He probably thought it would get him attention (which it obviously did) but I am 100% sure he didn't think it would have this kind of impact on Mauro.  If he was in a bad place prior to the tweet Corey wouldn't have known. Moral of the story is  we all would be a lot better off without twitter. 

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

What would you call it? Unnecessary needling? Unwarranted passive aggressive criticism? My point is that if Graves didn't hit send, none of this would've happened. 

I think the biggest problem with this entire thing is everyone assuming malice from Graves.  Graves made an unnecessary comment, but it's kind of his job to make unnecessary comments.  Graves, like it or not, is a professional douchebag.  His job is to be too cool, and be snarky about every little thing.  With that said, Mauro is someone who should probably stay away from social media.  Mauro is ultimately the one who is responsible for his own mental health.  He can't control what everyone around him does, and he has shown very little control on how he reacts to what people say and do, so he should try to limit those interactions.  The issue with these situations is that no one is really wrong unless Graves is actively trying to trigger Mauro.  I honestly don't believe that was what he was trying to do, but it ultimately doesn't matter to Mauro and his mental/emotional well being.  

• Like 4

I don't think it's necessary or worthwhile to try to replace Bobby Fish in UE. If you did, you'd want someone like Luke Menzies or Arturo Ruas. Someone with decent heel striking/grappling offense and could use something to do on a crowded show, but wouldn't overshadow the group with name value. I just think the group has run its course, and letting the wear and tear of 3 guys trying to defend 4 belts lead to its natural end is the best course of action. Cole and Strong could use a Raw/SD run to freshen up. KoR would be fine on any show, but I think there's still a lot of untapped potential with an NXT singles run for him.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

how good what a Regal-Nigel pairing be on commentary?!  Throw in Beth or Phillips and there you go.  Regal knows the holds and when to expression the emotions.  

Who would do play by play?

Reminder the all women's NXT show is tonight.

You would think they would put at least some of it up on the Network but it is clear they hate content and love wondering why their subscription numbers are falling

On 12/3/2019 at 6:13 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

how good what a Regal-Nigel pairing be on commentary?!  Throw in Beth or Phillips and there you go.  Regal knows the holds and when to expression the emotions.  

The best commentary NXT ever had was when Young Boy Phillips and Graves were the mains with occasional uncle Regal,  with his tall tales and misanthropic past. Phillips was the main play by play (solid job too) with Graves occasionally throwing in when Phillips paused.

I've rarely experienced a commentary team that would add to the product that well, let alone seemingly improv stories to get the audience so much more interested. They really kept my attention during some rough matches and stories with obviously very green talent.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, turk128 said:

The best commentary NXT ever had was when Young Boy Phillips and Graves were the mains with occasional uncle Regal,  with his tall tales and misanthropic past. Phillips was the main play by play (solid job too) with Graves occasionally throwing in when Phillips paused.

I've rarely experienced a commentary team that would add to the product that well, let alone seemingly improv stories to get the audience so much more interested. They really kept my attention during some rough matches and stories with obviously very green talent.

That was before Graves became "Unbearable Raw/SDL Corey" tho

• Like 1

Going to the nxt house show in San Jose next Sunday. Bringing my almost 4 year old to his first wrestling show so I’m super excited. Not sure how he’ll do, it’s really the perfect show to bring him too, I’m not super invested and tickets were $20 so if he wants to leave early that’s fine. But I think he’ll have fun. 

• Like 4