DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING PHOTOS.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Even beyond bias against Omega, I think even some people who like him were a little cold on his title reign. 

I am the biggest Omega fan on the board and his winning the title was the climax of that era of NJPW. Tanahashi had his nice G1 and WK win after that so I guess that is the true ending but the company has been meandering and directionless since then and we can consider that an epilogue of peak NJPW creative. HOWEVER, Omega won the title in what I and many consider the greatest match ever and then lost it in a fan-fucking-tastic match on the biggest stage in Japanese wrestling. The Cody defence in San Francisco and the triple threat were seemingly not befitting of the title after Okada's reign (but let's not forget he had some "good not great" matches with the likes of Fale and a hugely disappointing rematch with EVIL after goth boy pinned him in a masterclass and classic G1 bout in 2017). The beginning and ending of Omega's reign were up there with anything we've ever seen.

Regardless, I don't see how Kenny's title reign quality negatively impacts that match or its standing in a year that didn't have a tonne of incredible, must-see matches. If it were competing with last year's matches, sure. But 2019 had lots of good-to-great but not a whole lot of matches I'd put in the 5 star range beyond Rhodes bros and Tana/Omega. I'm going to watch some of the more highly regarded matches on cagematch/Voices of Wrestling next week but I have a hard time beating either of those matches.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Two best matches I've seen this year. The first gets slept on because of how early it was and anti-Omega sentiment. Great storytelling in both.

Same for me. Had both at *****. Both would make my top five MOTY 2019 list with Okada/Ospreay from the G1 Climax (that's my overall #1), WALTER/Bate at NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff and Ibushi/White in the G1 Climax 29 Finals. Those were also *****.

Honourable mentions to the Elimination Chamber match and the Gauntlet match which preceded it on the go home Smackdown Live show.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I am the biggest Omega fan on the board and his winning the title was the climax of that era of NJPW. Tanahashi had his nice G1 and WK win after that so I guess that is the true ending but the company has been meandering and directionless since then and we can consider that an epilogue of peak NJPW creative. HOWEVER, Omega won the title in what I and many consider the greatest match ever and then lost it in a fan-fucking-tastic match on the biggest stage in Japanese wrestling. The Cody defence in San Francisco and the triple threat were seemingly not befitting of the title after Okada's reign (but let's not forget he had some "good not great" matches with the likes of Fale and a hugely disappointing rematch with EVIL after goth boy pinned him in a masterclass and classic G1 bout in 2017). The beginning and ending of Omega's reign were up there with anything we've ever seen.

Regardless, I don't see how Kenny's title reign quality negatively impacts that match or its standing in a year that didn't have a tonne of incredible, must-see matches. If it were competing with last year's matches, sure. But 2019 had lots of good-to-great but not a whole lot of matches I'd put in the 5 star range beyond Rhodes bros and Tana/Omega. I'm going to watch some of the more highly regarded matches on cagematch/Voices of Wrestling next week but I have a hard time beating either of those matches.

Okada/Omega 2 out of 3 Falls was an instant classic. You bring a good point that the match Omega won and lost the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in is some of the finest beginning of and end of reigns going. Out of interest, what order do you and posters here have the Okada/Omega matches in? Mine:

1. Dominion 2018, *****

2. Wrestle Kingdom 11, *****

3. G1 Climax 27 (Day 18), *****

4. Dominion 2017, ****1/2. 

If you want some MOTY for 2019 recommendations, let us know.

Edited by The Natural