DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Orton's injury issues have been primarily his shoulder if I recall correctly which has gone out on him a number of times.

Wade Barrett seemed to be injured a ton when he was active if we are actually trying to find an oft injured dude.

?

See 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes? Did he ever actually challenge for the NWA World Heavyweight championship? Because he was at the TV/USA championship level when the NWA/WCW split happened, didn't arrive in TNA until they were out of the NWA, and spent years in WWE when the NWA was a tiny indie. I think it might actually never have happened. And when you consider that when he was breaking in 30+ years ago, he had Future NWA Champion written all over him, it's unfortunate he never got to hold it.

Yet. AEW and the NWA could totally make a deal if they wanted.

Book it Billy~!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

See 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes? Did he ever actually challenge for the NWA World Heavyweight championship? Because he was at the TV/USA championship level when the NWA/WCW split happened, didn't arrive in TNA until they were out of the NWA, and spent years in WWE when the NWA was a tiny indie. I think it might actually never have happened. And when you consider that when he was breaking in 30+ years ago, he had Future NWA Champion written all over him, it's unfortunate he never got to hold it.

Book it Billy~!

Without going to cagematch, I'd have thought he wrestled for the belt when windham had it. Or are we counting that belt as not the real world title? 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Book it Billy~!

He fought Jarrett for it in 2004, I think

There's this too from the same tour but I think we just get entrances maybe? It's been a while:

Edited by Matt D
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Book it Billy~!

3 matches vs Barry Windham for the NWA World title (Big Gold version) on a house show loop in May 1993

• Thanks 1

Looks the the actual thread is mostly people putting out their own lists.  This is the WWE.com list of top 25 matches in 2019.  Can't say I disagree with most of it.  Some great choices. 

WWE has revealed their picks for the top twenty-five matches for 2019, with Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston from Wrestlemania 35 taking #1. You can see the full list below:

25. Roman Reigns & The Undertaker vs. Shane McMahon & Drew McIntyre (WWE Extreme Rules)

24. Rey Mysterio vs. Cesaro (Raw, May 13)

23. Braun Strowman vs. Bobby Lashley — Last Man Standing Match (WWE Extreme Rules)

22. Cedric Alexander vs. Drew McIntyre (Raw, Aug. 12)

21. Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic (NXT, Sept. 25)

20. Roman Reigns vs. Buddy Murphy (SmackDown, Aug. 13)

19. The Velveteen Dream vs. Matt Riddle — NXT North American Championship Match (NXT TakeOver: New York)

18. Women’s Elimination Chamber Match (WWE Elimination Chamber)

17. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate — WWE United Kingdom Championship Match (NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff)

16. Daniel Bryan & Erick Rowan vs. Heavy Machinery vs. The New Day — Triple Threat SmackDown Tag Team Championship Match (Extreme Rules)

15. Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano — NXT North American Championship Match (NXT TakeOver: Phoenix)

14. Men’s Survivor Series Match (Survivor Series)

13. Daniel Bryan vs. Kevin Owens vs. Mustafa Ali — Triple Threat WWE Championship Match (WWE Fastlane)

12. Adam Cole vs. Pete Dunne — NXT Championship Match (Survivor Series)

11. Rey Mysterio vs. Andrade — 2-out-of-3 Falls Match (SmackDown, Jan. 22)

10. Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins — Universal Championship Match (SummerSlam)

9. Ronda Rousey vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch — Winner Take All Triple Threat Match (WrestleMania 35)

8. Men’s Elimination Chamber Match (WWE Elimination Chamber)

7. Pete Dunne vs. WALTER — WWE United Kingdom Championship Match (NXT TakeOver: New York)

6. Men’s Money in the Bank Match (WWE Money in the Bank)

5. Ronda Rousey vs. Sasha Banks — Raw Women’s Championship Match (Royal Rumble)

4. Seth Rollins vs. AJ Styles — Universal Championship Match (WWE Money in the Bank)

3. Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole — 2-out-of-3 Falls NXT Championship Match (NXT TakeOver: New York)

2. Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks — Hell in a Cell Raw Women’s Championship Match (WWE Hell in a Cell)

1. Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston — WWE Championship Match (WrestleMania 35)

Before AEW started, since Cody got a run at the NWA Title I thought for sure Dustin going for it would be a lock. A few years ago (before he went back to WWE) I remember Dustin posting on twitter that he did want to make a run at the NWA Title because it was the only thing that eluded him in his career. If Hogan never went to WCW, Dustin probably would have been world champion in 95 or 96.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Yes - he was explaining the difference between the NWA Heavyweight Title and the US title ?

I'm running on the assumption it was title vs title but I haven't rewatched the video in years so I am open to the idea that only Dustin's title was on the line.

4 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Before AEW started, since Cody got a run at the NWA Title I thought for sure Dustin going for it would be a lock. A few years ago (before he went back to WWE) I remember Dustin posting on twitter that he did want to make a run at the NWA Title because it was the only thing that eluded him in his career. If Hogan never went to WCW, Dustin probably would have been world champion in 95 or 96.

If AEW was never a thing he'd probably still be in WWE as an agent. Unless they released him.I think Corgan would probably have him in the Tim Storm role. He'd kill in that environment 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

If Hogan never went to WCW,  the World Championship would have been fought over by Rhodes & Austin throughout the latter half of the 90s. Both were being groomed for the main event. 

Throw in the random runs for Windham, Doc & Gordy, The Three Musketeers, and we as the small smidgeon in the dark dark corner of wrestling fandom would have been happy as hell. They wouldn't have made any money- but would we have cared? ?

they did lack that Vader-esque monster heel to be groomed for that generation... or was The Giant that man? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

If Hogan never went to WCW,  the World Championship would have been fought over by Rhodes & Austin throughout the latter half of the 90s. Both were being groomed for the main event. 

Throw in the random runs for Windham, Doc & Gordy, The Three Musketeers, and we as the small smidgeon in the dark dark corner of wrestling fandom would have been happy as hell. They wouldn't have made any money- but would we have cared? ?

they did lack that Vader-esque monster heel to be groomed for that generation... or was The Giant that man? 

Paul Wight COULD have been but they ruined him with hotshot turns from face to heel to back again. After a year of that crap, no one took him seriously. Just for the record, I went out for drinks with Paul and DDP back in the day. Just to give you some perspective, I'm a reasonably large man, DDP made me feel small and Paul dwarfed him. In case the owner of a Cadillac that was parked in front of Sorry Charlie's ever wondered where that huge dent on his hood came from that was Paul banging his head on the car for no particular reason. (Like I'm going to tell a guy that size that that's not a good idea?)

• Like 2