DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Lots of talk in the Raw thread about Samoa Joe in WWE, and wishing he would have gone there sooner. Which I will disagree with. The way he joined WWE, as a player/ coach for NXT, getting over on his work and moving to the main roster because of it, that's the only way he gets to be Samoa Joe in WWE.

Had he gone to WWE ten years earlier than he did, he's changing his name, painting his face, wearing a grass skirt and wrestling bare foot. Jobbing to Cena at Summerslam and joining his team by Survivor Series. And then getting released for not losing weight. "But think of all the great matches he would have had". He did have great matches, in TNA and sometimes Noah. And the great WWE matches he could have had, he still could. The thing holding him back from great matches in WWE isn't age and injuries (except for him being Injured right now, obviously), it's WWE house style and schedule. He might have lost half a step, but he has gained veteran timing with it. The man  can still go.

Edited by AxB
man, not mam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Lots of talk in the Raw thread about Samoa Joe in WWE, and wishing he would have gone there sooner. Which I will disagree with. The way he joined WWE, as a player/ coach for NXT, getting over on his work and moving to the main roster because of it, that's the only way he gets to be Samoa Joe in WWE.

Had he gone to WWE ten years earlier than he did, he's changing his name, painting his face, wearing a grass skirt and wrestling bare foot. Jobbing to Cena at Summerslam and joining his team by Survivor Series. And then getting released for not losing weight. "But think of all the great matches he would have had". He did have great matches, in TNA and sometimes Noah. And the great WWE matches he could have had, he still could. The thing holding him back from great matches in WWE isn't age and injuries (except for him being Injured right now, obviously), it's WWE house style and schedule. He might have lost half a step, but he has gained veteran timing with it. The man  can still go.

I mean, if he came in early 09 as Umaga #2, they could have revitalized the tag division which was dormant enough to be off PPV for a good chunk of the year.

That's another case of someone coming in on a show Vince doesn't pay attention to, though. He was hands off with ECW at the beginning, like he was hands off with NXT when it was a regional feeder league. But he always seems to end up micromanaging everything. When the XFL starts again (in 2020, which is very soon; If they're going to be a spring league this time, you'd think they would have released a schedule by now or something) he's going to get super frustrated that he can't override play calls and stuff.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:
Offered without comment:

At 45 sec onward, one of those assholes had every opportunity for a punch in the face.  Worst ballet ever; which one was the ugly duckling?

4 hours ago, AxB said:

He would have been as big as, if not a bigger, signing than Punk was so he probably would have had similar protections like Punk had. Also what are these great matches in NOAH he had? He was received rather poorly there from what I recall. And no, its absolutely age and injuries holding Joe back. He hasn't managed much in the way of great matches aside from the match where he was busted open hard way. Joe outside of multi-man matches doesn't really deliver. Blaming the style and schedule when there are plenty of others having great matches under it is rather ridiculous. 

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

⁹I think Joe is having more compelling matches now in his veteranship than when he was in his late 20s. 

There's more to a great match than moves. Pacing & timing, and emotion are far more important to me than moves.

People have been saying the same about AJ Styles that he hasn't been on the same level of workrate in the past year and a half. Why should these guys try to work like Mid 00s ROH or modern era New Japan main event style every week that well forget about after a week anyway. They are still better workers than alot of the roster plus its alot of other filters they have to deal with in WWE that they don't have to deal with prior. I was watching some of Jericho's work in New Japan recently and how much different it is from his more recent WWE runs from and inring perspective.

An even better example is Ricochet, people talk about how hampered he has been lately on the main roster, we all know alot of that is the WWEs system of working on the main roster even still, it wouldn't be smart him to work a PWG or a Takeover style match even time he's on TV.

7 hours ago, AxB said:

42.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, OSJ said:

What's so hard about cutting twenty-minute matches down to ten? Or minimizing the silly eight and ten man tags? I wouldn't think making such adjustments would be at all difficult for someone with Gedo's smarts.

I guess I'm confused about what you mean by "adjusting the booking for US TV". At it stands, NJPW doesn't do anything resembling a weekly show schedule, let alone a weekly show schedule that advances major feuds and storylines in a way that US fans would find familiar. Doing that would require fundamentally reorienting everything, not just cutting down some match lengths or reducing the size of the teams in some tag matches.

Edited by MapRef41N93W

Well TNA, MLW and NWA (and NXT sometimes) all do massive tapings in advance, with spoilers leaking well before the shows air, and it doesn't seem to hurt them. So going from a tour schedule to a weekly live shows schedule shouldn't be necessary.

29 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

The issue isn't live vs. taped or weekly vs. touring, it's the content of the shows themselves. To suit the tastes/expectations of US fans, that would have to change significantly.

Bollocks to that. If your unique selling point is that you're different to the American promotions (well, the one big American promotion), the last thing you should do is change to be the same as them. More homogeneity, more monotony, that's the last thing you should be shooting for.

FMW was better when Onita was the top star. The Kodo Fuyuki period, when they were aping the Attitude Era, that was awful.

23 minutes ago, nate said:

Has anyone been more injury prone than Orton?  I'd be interested in seeing a comparative analysis of his time on the DL vs his time active.

Orton's up there. Other names: Edge and Triple H.

On the opposite end, Kane. I can only remember one injury, his bicep tear putting him out for four months in 2002.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, nate said:

Has anyone been more injury prone than Orton?  I'd be interested in seeing a comparative analysis of his time on the DL vs his time active.

For a guy that is in such terrific shape (and anyone that doesn't think pro-wrestlers are in terrific shape doesn't know any), the dude is incredibly fragile. It isn't like he's doing a lot of high-risk or difficult moves, Randy pretty much wrestles the same smart, reasonably safe style of match no matter what. The dude is just like bone china...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Orton's up there. Other names: Edge and Triple H.

On the opposite end, Kane. I can only remember one injury, his bicep tear putting him out for four months in 2002.

Wasn’t Wade Barrett on the dL more than he was active during his wwe tenure?

• Like 3